U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 09:53 AM
jds

162 posts, read 283,252 times
Cedar rapids is good place to raise a family and with iowa city close it makes it fun during the football season the iowa games are simply amazing but cr is a gr8 place for schools and for kids a pretty safe city for the most part!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 10:22 AM

600 posts, read 618,482 times
Default Great city!

I agree that Cedar Rapids is a great city. Of course I often think of Cedar Rapids and Iowa City as one big metro area (even though there's a good 15-20 miles of rural area in between) as well as both of them are great cities. It's also one of the hilliest areas in Iowa (other than what’s near the Mississippi and Missouri rivers).

Yes, plenty of things to do in the area. There are shopping malls in Cedar Rapids (Westdale and Lindale are the largest), colleges (including Coe, Mount Mercy and in nearby Mount Vernon they have Cornell), sports, etc.

And if that's not enough then drive to Iowa City, which is only 20 minutes south. They have the Coral Ridge Mall (which used to be the biggest in Iowa before Des Moines opened Jordan Creek) and there's the University of Iowa, which is huge!

And there's even the Amana Colonies about 20 miles southwest of Cedar Rapids and is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Iowa.

Also if you enjoy fishing and boating there's Coralville Lake, which is right in between Cedar Rapids and Iowa City.

Also in Iowa City they have outstanding hospitals: University of Iowa Hospitals And Clinics (one of the best in the nation), VA Medical Center and Mercy Hospital. There's also a Mercy Hospital in Cedar Rapids.

I rate the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City area a 10/10.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Im not interested in sports. What I like is lots of shopping and I wouldnt mind some great restaurants. Some carnivals, festivals, amusement parks, clubs and other forms of entertainment would be great. Im trying to determine how much better Cedar Rapids is vs. Oil city to make it worth the fact houses cost twice as much!
Well, I wouldn't worry about how big the shopping malls are nor would I worry how many there are. As long as they have the things you really like, which could be clothes, jewelry, antiques, etc. or the casual shopping for things like DVDs, music CDs, Video Games, etc. It all depends on what you like. I myself am not much of a shopper and it's probably been a good 5 years since I've been to a mall of any sort or size. I prefer the casual shopping at discount stores, which usually suit my needs. But if you like lots of variety I wouldn't consider CR as a specifically great location for it. However, I certainly wouldn't say it lacks it either. And IA City has Coral Ridge Mall, which is one of the biggest in IA. I would say CR and IA City both have great amounts of shopping for cities their size.

Also, there are great restaurants. And we serve great food in them because IA processes some of the best food in the nation. My grandparents are down in Texas right now and they say the restaurants down there don't have that great food. I heard it has something to do with what they feed their livestock. Iowa uses much of its corn to feed livestock and apparently it makes the pork, or whatever meat, tastier. The Amana Colonies have GREAT restaurants. They're somewhat rustic but the food is excellent, very homemade.

As for housing in CR I would say it's in great shape. Not too rich, not too poor, just right. I don't find that much new housing development in CR to be very rich so it's probably easier to find a decent home. On the other hand, the suburbs of IA City are quite rich.

Yes, there is a lot of food manufacturing plants in CR that give out all kinds of different odors, but I don't think it's enough to ruin your day nor your decision to live there. And it's only bad during certain times of the year and in certain areas of the city. Don't let a few flaws like that affect your decision to live in a great city. We welcome you with open arms (as any Iowan would).

Old 03-21-2007, 09:04 AM

Default About the hills/mountains thing

Well, I have to be honest; there are no mountains in Iowa. In fact the only mountains you'll find in the Midwest are the Black Hills and the Ozarks.

But if you're looking for hills or even hills that you might think at first are mountains then I would strongly recommend anywhere along the Mississippi River between Dubuque and the Minnesota border. It is very pretty up there. Dubuque is a very nice town and it's growing fast in the surrounding areas.

Another very scenic place in Iowa is the Loess Hills. They run north and south within about (a wild guess) 10-20 miles of the Missouri River. They are very pretty and one thing that is neat about them is how quickly they cut off the flat farmland.

They're not the Rocky Mountains...but then again, what is?

Old 03-22-2007, 09:23 AM

6 posts, read 23,572 times
Default Id listen to DSM guy

I've lived in Cedar Rapids before.. And to be honest its not to bad of a city, but Des Moines is far better. The smells could make you a bit sick from time to time which is why they call it "The City of 5 Smells" rather than "the city of 5 seasons. And Ive seen some of the homes you have posted and beware in the winter time the cold wind and air could blow through those houses like you wouldnt beleave. If I were you looking in that price range I would check out the suburbs. If you dont mind a little country which most of us around here dont it would be a much better place to check out and you may get more for your money. With the cost of heating and cooling a good deal on an old home could give you monthley bills that would force you to an early grave. I know two people who just built a brand new home. Not a mogular, but it was pre built for the same price you looking at. It sits in Mitchelville which is not far outside Des Moines. And is actually pretty nice. As far as entertainment you would like Des Moines better for many many reasons. And the best way to discribe Iowa is there is something here and there, theres just nothing in between... So make sure you get into the right spot for you.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:18 AM

18,733 posts, read 20,510,302 times
If crime stats are important take a look at West Des Moines...

Old 04-15-2011, 07:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,531 times
I've lived in Iowa off and on totaling 23 years. I've lived in Des Moines, Souix City, Mason City, Iowa City and now Cedar Rapids. Cedar Rapids is without question the worst of these cities. I love Des Moines, it has a little bit of everything. It's not very congested but still has a lot of the attractions of a large city. Iowa City is also very nice. Cedar Rapids is awful. Beyond the various terrible smells, the place is run down and has very little to offer. It is a city of industry, so there a jobs to be had, but that's really all there is. It may be affordable, but that's because no one wants to live here. Do everything you can to avoid living here.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:07 PM

1,421 posts, read 929,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityofivesmells View Post
I've lived in Iowa off and on totaling 23 years. I've lived in Des Moines, Souix City, Mason City, Iowa City and now Cedar Rapids. Cedar Rapids is without question the worst of these cities. I love Des Moines, it has a little bit of everything. It's not very congested but still has a lot of the attractions of a large city. Iowa City is also very nice. Cedar Rapids is awful. Beyond the various terrible smells, the place is run down and has very little to offer. It is a city of industry, so there a jobs to be had, but that's really all there is. It may be affordable, but that's because no one wants to live here. Do everything you can to avoid living here.
Total opposite of my experience, which is the reason we bought our house here in cedar rapids.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:53 PM

1,222 posts, read 1,460,101 times
Quote:

Uh, I'm not sure which part of Cedar Rapids you were in, but it's not run down...I would classify both Sioux City and Mason City as worse than CR. Aside from rebuilding/cleaning up downtown after the 2008 flooding, it's not suffering any more or less than any other town in America at this point.

It's true, DM and IC both have much more to offer as far as culture and entertainment...but CR has great schools and is a good place to raise kids - there's not really a whole lot of trouble to get into.

And yes, CR is 'the city of 5 smells'...Quaker Oats, Pilsbury, ADM,....I can never remember the other 2...but unless you live right next to one of these plants, it's not like the entire town reaks!

As far as shopping, you've got your basic big box stores but very little in the way of original...that said you can find basically everything you need there without leaving town.

And in the winter - yes, it will easily get below zero...and once you add in the wind chill, it could easily be -20. But you will find that all across Iowa and the midwest. I think they had very heavy snowfall this year...you could see several feet of snow over a winter. (Again, that is pretty common across Iowa, not just CR).

Really, it all comes down to personal opinion. Obviously some people here don't like CR, and others do. Some of it is perspective and some of it is just each person's personal experience while there...

Old 04-18-2011, 05:46 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,176,016 times
Quote:
You seem to have an axe to grind with CR, and your statements generally couldn't be further from the truth.

Cedar Rapids is the second fastest growing metro area in the state, and the city of Cedar Rapids grew 5% between 2000 and 2010. Mason City and Sioux City both declined in population over the same timeframe. Apparently people do want to live here.

Forbes named Cedar Rapids the number one city in America for job growth in 2010. Cedar Rapids consistently ranks high among quality of life studies. Cedar Rapids has more engineers per capita than any other city in the US. Despite a devastating flood only three years earlier, the city has a balanced mix of white collar and blue collar jobs that has allowed it to weather the 2008 recession without the huge spike in unemployment rates seen in other cities. When it comes to adversity, Cedar Rapids is as resilient as it gets.

And thanks to the flood, by 2014 Cedar Rapids will have a new downtown library, a new convention center, a significantly renovated centerpiece hotel and arena, a new 8-story federal courthouse, a new medical mall district, a new enclosed farmer's market, a new central fire department HQ, a new juvenile court center, a new administrative center for the Cedar Rapids School District, two rehabilitated downtown parks, and two new urban housing developments. No other city in Iowa has that much activity happening at the moment.

Last edited by mustang84; 04-18-2011 at 05:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa