Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 05:53 PM

659 posts, read 1,101,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
What kinds of things can you find at Czech bakeries? Are there any certain specialties to look for?
I've heard that kolache are pretty good, although I don't remember ever having tried them. But I know they've got all sorts of neat cookies and pastries.

My family is from the area and my dad's side has a lot of Czech blood, but unfortunately I never got much of a sense of the cuisine beyond goulash and sauerkraut, neither of which are uniquely Czech. So I guess my advice is the same as for any other ethnic bakery or grocery- look around, keep an open mind, and if you see something that looks interesting cross your fingers and give it a try!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 11:46 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,386,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMGuy View Post
Not sure how you could rebuild something that was not there in the first place.
You're getting hung up over one word?

The point is, your use of the term scam is unjustified.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:24 PM

586 posts, read 2,185,278 times
I personally like to see Cedar Rapids waking up from its slumber and I think the city, in conjunction with Iowa City will be on quite a roll over the coming decade. I could honestly see population growth percentages exceed Des Moines by a tad, fueled predominately by the U of I/U of I Hospitals expansions.

We have all of these small cities in Iowa, and quite honestly, Iowa needs some hope in attracting more growth and economic development outside of Des Moines and Iowa City. It took the flood to kick them in the pants, but I think CR is well on it's way to being a more desireable place that will attract more interest on a national level in the coming future.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:47 AM

412 posts, read 1,153,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRyan View Post
I personally like to see Cedar Rapids waking up from its slumber and I think the city, in conjunction with Iowa City will be on quite a roll over the coming decade. I could honestly see population growth percentages exceed Des Moines by a tad, fueled predominately by the U of I/U of I Hospitals expansions.

We have all of these small cities in Iowa, and quite honestly, Iowa needs some hope in attracting more growth and economic development outside of Des Moines and Iowa City. It took the flood to kick them in the pants, but I think CR is well on it's way to being a more desireable place that will attract more interest on a national level in the coming future.
Yeah, it does have lot of potiential. Lot of nice looking new skyscrapers and all that would be nice. They could borrow Seattle and Portland's smart growth tips and help Cedar Rapids to become attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa