Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2006, 12:15 AM

2 posts, read 33,568 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with these areas?
Trying to followup on information I heard about land in the Marne area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2006, 10:10 AM

82 posts, read 353,854 times
Default Marne area

I know about the Marne, Atlantic, and Walnut area. Marne is located between Atlantic and Walnut, but a little closer to Atlantic. Marne is the town that is offering free land. I think Marne is about one hundred people in population. It has a bar, homes, and European motorcycle shop owned by Randy Baxter. My dad will be remodeling the bike shop this summer. I had a girlfriend back in high school who lived in Marne. I grew up on a farm south of Marne and had to ride the school bus through Marne every day on the way home from school in Atlantic, which is where Marne kids go to school. Other than that I don't know much more about Marne except that the name Marne is German, named after a German town as many people in the area and Iowa as a whole are of German ancestry. Atlantic is a good town of about 7000 and has a good school system. Atlantic is in the process of building a new city park with lakes and two new ethanol plants are locating in or near town as well. On the bad side a Super Wal-Mart located in Atlantic recently. Walnut is small too, but I don't know how big it is. It has a nice playground for kids that I used to go to and my grandparents once owned the Prarie Rose in Walnut. Walnut is know for it's many antique shops. There are many antique shops especially for the size of the town. All three towns are located near the busiest interstate in the United States, I-80.

Last edited by jack7y; 05-22-2006 at 10:26 AM..

Old 05-23-2006, 08:34 PM
cat

70 posts, read 288,655 times
I was just in that area this past week..I loved it..Im thinking of relocating to the surrounding area soon..Could you please email me about the free land, such as why it is free, and how would I find out about it? I didn't know anything about it while I was there...Thank you...

Old 06-30-2006, 10:58 PM

82 posts, read 353,854 times
I think that the land is free because the people of Marne want to have a few more friendly neighbors. Maybe the town owns land and would like to have a few people move there rather than sell it for the money? You can print the application for the free land on the website. http://www.marneiowa.com
There is a link called land and then there is another link to the application in PDF or Word format. Good luck

Old 04-14-2007, 01:58 AM

24 posts, read 132,858 times
Default LOL MARNE...u gotta be kidding me

Never thought I'd hear that town's name again in my LIFE! LOL Lived there for 6 years. Walnut has GREAT antique shops lining the main street and it is beautiful at Christmas time. Atlantic exists at most. Not the greatest town, but I have seen worse. Not as cold as the northern part of Iowa, however you get roughly 27 spring-thaws every year so the slush gets tired quick.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 5,085 times
Red face Walnut Iowa

I actually just bought a house in Walnut. I don't know much about the town either except for what I've read on Walnut's home page online. I know the house I bought is beautiful and I can't wait to move in. The town looks very nice and well kept up. Prairie Rose camp grounds are about 5 miles (approx) away from town and we drive from Council Bluffs in the summer to camp there. It is a nice peaceful camp ground - very well kept. I have heard that the bakery in Walnut is fabulous and of course the antique shops too. So if anyone has any more info about the town or schools - I'd love to hear!!

Old 09-23-2008, 04:02 PM
cat

70 posts, read 288,655 times
Default Walnut

I have heard that the bakery in Walnut is fabulous and of course the antique shops too. So if anyone has any more info about the town or schools - I'd love to hear!! [/quote]

I havent been to the bakery but they do, or did have a small restaurant on the main Street that served great food..Nothing special just good old fashioned cooking..All of the people I met and talked to in Walnut were very nice. Good luck on your move..
Im still stuck here in California because of the Real Estate melt down..I didnt sell fast enough and now Ive lost most of my equity, which was also my "get out of town money".. Now, even if I could sell my house here I wouldnt have enough money to buy something else....Oh well, life goes on.
Cat

Old 09-24-2008, 07:44 AM

336 posts, read 570,252 times
I grew up in Walnut. Great town and good school. The bakery is wonderful as are the antique shops.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,620 times
Marne is nothing but cornfields and farmboys! Boring! The highlight was the walmart parking lot after hours....WHOO HOO! The farmboys try to find a woman to support them. What great guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa