U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2020, 10:07 AM

1,282 posts, read 1,628,177 times

Advertisements

On the day the derecho happened, all the media focus was on the greater Chicago area, but Iowa easily got the worst of it. Still not a lot of mention of it in the major media outlets (it's there, but there is a little digging involved). If this happened in or near Chi-town, this would be front page material.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2020, 10:10 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,397,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
On the day the derecho happened, all the media focus was on the greater Chicago area, but Iowa easily got the worst of it. Still not a lot of mention of it in the major media outlets (it's there, but there is a little digging involved). If this happened in or near Chi-town, this would be front page material.
I heard by the time it got to Chicago the wind speed was less at around 75 mph in comparison to 100+ in eastern Iowa. I could be wrong but that’s what my neighbor said who has a son in Chicago.

Old 08-16-2020, 10:34 AM

1,282 posts, read 1,628,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smpliving View Post
I heard by the time it got to Chicago the wind speed was less at around 75 mph in comparison to 100+ in eastern Iowa. I could be wrong but that’s what my neighbor said who has a son in Chicago.

Perhaps, but at the end of the day, Iowa lacks truly major media markets so despite being a devastating event, few people outside the area even knew the derecho happened, much less cared.

The media pays attention to Iowa basically once every four years, and if there ever comes a time when Iowa has to give up its "first in the nation" status, there would be even less reason for the national news outlets to cover anything related to Iowa.

Old 08-16-2020, 10:47 AM

657 posts, read 252,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smpliving View Post
Correct. A friend in Chicago confirmed it was frightening, but winds were much less than those that hit Iowa.

I thought our country helped people who are victims of natural disasters. Even if Iowa isn’t a major media market, the humane and moral thing to do is HELP. Yet there hasn’t even been a disaster declaration yet, a full week. I’ve donated to a Cedar Rapids non-profit, but they need people, electrical workers, generators, fuel deliveries.

Old 08-16-2020, 11:57 AM

4,779 posts, read 6,504,951 times
I sat in my car in Moline, IL. while it happened. Got pretty hairy.

Old 08-16-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I sat in my car in Moline, IL. while it happened. Got pretty hairy.
Wow! It was still at top speed probably. Hope you are ok ( if not totally traumatized).

Old 08-16-2020, 12:59 PM

35,857 posts, read 46,008,226 times
We had one go through here over July 4th eight years ago, some areas were out of power for two weeks or so. Had my first heart attack, what my cardiologist calls "the practice one", doing clean up.

Old 08-16-2020, 01:06 PM

3,637 posts, read 3,616,024 times
Angry Derecho, no power, day 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLfan1977 View Post
Correct. A friend in Chicago confirmed it was frightening, but winds were much less than those that hit Iowa.

I thought our country helped people who are victims of natural disasters. Even if Iowa isn’t a major media market, the humane and moral thing to do is HELP. Yet there hasn’t even been a disaster declaration yet, a full week. I’ve donated to a Cedar Rapids non-profit, but they need people, electrical workers, generators, fuel deliveries.

Your words strike a responsive chord with me given that I've been watching in dismay from afar and talking to folks in Iowa & even had an excellent chat with a woman in a tv station newsroom in Cedar Rapids.
You can bet your life that if this level of destruction had happened to Florida or Texas, the media & government would have been wetting the bed and going nonstop about it in terms of coverage & response & we would have heard about it from you-know-who via the White House briefing room!
With, Iowa, it's off the radar apparently... And that's a shame!
But beyond just being a regular shame, it's more akin to a criminal shame given that the bid for a federal disaster declaration did not go out until Friday and then the wheels of response to that went still over the course of a weekend and that process won't resume again until Monday! In the interim, the citizens of Iowa are helping themselves as best as possible but desperately needing a FEDERAL RESPONSE via FEMA! So, where the heck is it?

Old 08-16-2020, 01:15 PM

555 posts, read 350,066 times
Having now been through my first presidential election year primary cycle here in Iowa, I have to say it's pretty disgusting how constant the media presence here was at that time -- feeding like ticks on every tiny little blip of news or hearsay that could be packaged as a story involving politics... It felt so unhealthy. And when they were all gone (after the embarrassment of the caucus, which needed more investigative journalism - but they had already packed up and left by the next day), it was a relief. Now there is actually a need to cover a real story with real, visible, clear problems both to people living in this state and to people across the country who will be affected by this massive crop loss.... And there's nothing. A passing mention, at best. It makes it extraordinarily clear how little journalism "cares" at both the micro and macro level, about anything that doesn't generate clicks or eyeballs on television screens. Right now, the money's in COVID, the few remaining active BLM protests, and the presidential race...the rest of the world be damned. Ridiculous.

Old 08-16-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedLife View Post
Having now been through my first presidential election year primary cycle here in Iowa, I have to say it's pretty disgusting how constant the media presence here was at that time -- feeding like ticks on every tiny little blip of news or hearsay that could be packaged as a story involving politics... It felt so unhealthy. And when they were all gone (after the embarrassment of the caucus, which needed more investigative journalism - but they had already packed up and left by the next day), it was a relief. Now there is actually a need to cover a real story with real, visible, clear problems both to people living in this state and to people across the country who will be affected by this massive crop loss.... And there's nothing. A passing mention, at best. It makes it extraordinarily clear how little journalism "cares" at both the micro and macro level, about anything that doesn't generate clicks or eyeballs on television screens. Right now, the money's in COVID, the few remaining active BLM protests, and the presidential race...the rest of the world be damned. Ridiculous.
Atler8 and BlessedLife, you stated it so well. I couldn’t agree more. It’s almost as if certain states or areas are disposable. I’m feeling very old these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or