U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 08:22 AM

5 posts, read 827 times

Advertisements

exactly. 5 days
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 07:04 AM

3,637 posts, read 3,615,587 times
Default Derecho, no power, day 5

Found below is an opinion piece posted yesterday at the Washington Post as written by a farm-born-bred native Iowan from the Tama/Toledo area which was smacked hard as the derecho sped east toward Cedar Rapids along the U.S. 30 highway corridor after battering Marshalltown.

People in the state of Iowa and elsewhere around the country are learning both firsthand and secondhand of the catastrophic failures of the state & federal governments to have delivered aid in a timely and effective manner. How long will this mess be allowed to fester as an unresolved situation for Iowans?

Mark my words: THIS WILL BE AN ELECTION ISSUE, both in Iowa contests there at the local and state level and as well as in terms of how Iowans vote in the presidential contest in November!

I am reminded of how, in the aftermath of the Bush Administration Katrina response debacle in 2005, I watched as Kate O'Beirne, a longtime Republican political operative & pundit spoke candidly about that Republican governmental Katrina failure to George Stephanopoulos on his ABC TV Sunday Morning show.

In so many words Ms. O'Beirne noted that Republicans used to be known for "...opposing big government but at least they knew how to run it. Not, so with this bunch" (meaning the Bush Administration).
My jaw wanted to drop at her forthright honesty.

And now, exactly 15 years after Katrina, with different republicans at the helm, once again we have another failure at both the state and federal level and this time it's Iowa that is in the crosshairs of that debacle!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ge%2Fstory-ans

Old 08-25-2020, 07:52 AM

1,282 posts, read 1,627,826 times
The ineptitude of this administration is staggering. I reeeeaaaallly hope Iowans have enough sense to vote Reynolds out this fall, but unfortunately my confidence in them isn't very high.

Here in Alabama we're fortunate to have Kay Ivey in office, she's done a respectable job responding to Covid, and cleaning up the Bentley mess as well.

Old 08-25-2020, 11:00 AM

1,657 posts, read 1,597,584 times
I sympathize with you Iowans affected by this, the scope of which is not getting the national attention one would expect. We all know the current administration does not "do" natural disasters very well. Combined with the national political discourse sucking the air out of the room it is making it an even more difficult time I'm sure.

Old 08-26-2020, 06:37 AM

3,791 posts, read 5,134,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Found below is an opinion piece posted yesterday at the Washington Post as written by a farm-born-bred native Iowan from the Tama/Toledo area which was smacked hard as the derecho sped east toward Cedar Rapids along the U.S. 30 highway corridor after battering Marshalltown.

People in the state of Iowa and elsewhere around the country are learning both firsthand and secondhand of the catastrophic failures of the state & federal governments to have delivered aid in a timely and effective manner. How long will this mess be allowed to fester as an unresolved situation for Iowans?

Mark my words: THIS WILL BE AN ELECTION ISSUE, both in Iowa contests there at the local and state level and as well as in terms of how Iowans vote in the presidential contest in November!

I am reminded of how, in the aftermath of the Bush Administration Katrina response debacle in 2005, I watched as Kate O'Beirne, a longtime Republican political operative & pundit spoke candidly about that Republican governmental Katrina failure to George Stephanopoulos on his ABC TV Sunday Morning show.

In so many words Ms. O'Beirne noted that Republicans used to be known for "...opposing big government but at least they knew how to run it. Not, so with this bunch" (meaning the Bush Administration).
My jaw wanted to drop at her forthright honesty.

And now, exactly 15 years after Katrina, with different republicans at the helm, once again we have another failure at both the state and federal level and this time it's Iowa that is in the crosshairs of that debacle!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ge%2Fstory-ans
I'm questioning why it has taken so long to get power after this storm, especially for those in the Cedar Rapids area myself. I've heard that not only were power lines and poles destroyed, but actual power stations were destroyed also. When you watch how long it takes power linemen to put up new poles and get lines strung just to do a few blocks THEN multiply this times thousands and thousands of poles, it's a pretty daunting task. When the number of downed poles that had to be replaced comes out, it will explain a lot about why it took so long. You can't just go down to the local temporary worker office and hire people to do this dangerous job. It has to be done by skilled professionals.

You can put all this on FEMA and the Iowa governor if you want, and to some degree it's maybe rightly so. HOWEVER, in comparing this to Katrina and to trying to put all blame on Republicans you're conveniently forgetting some pertinent facts.

1) As bad as Iowa's Dericho is, it pales in comparison to the devastation that was Katrina.
2) The governor that was in charge of Louisiana was a Democrat, Kathleen Blanco.
3) The mayor of New Orleans was a Democrat, Ray Nagel. Nagel turned his office into a "pay for play" money making machine to pad his personal pockets, at the expense of the people that needed help from the hurricane.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ars-in-prison/

Naturally, the mainstream media put all the blame on Bush's administration and kept it there while downplaying any responsibility of the Democrat politicians who were actually in charge at the time.

Old 08-26-2020, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I'm questioning why it has taken so long to get power after this storm, especially for those in the Cedar Rapids area myself. I've heard that not only were power lines and poles destroyed, but actual power stations were destroyed also. When you watch how long it takes power linemen to put up new poles and get lines strung just to do a few blocks THEN multiply this times thousands and thousands of poles, it's a pretty daunting task. When the number of downed poles that had to be replaced comes out, it will explain a lot about why it took so long. You can't just go down to the local temporary worker office and hire people to do this dangerous job. It has to be done by skilled professionals.

You can put all this on FEMA and the Iowa governor if you want, and to some degree it's maybe rightly so. HOWEVER, in comparing this to Katrina and to trying to put all blame on Republicans you're conveniently forgetting some pertinent facts.

1) As bad as Iowa's Dericho is, it pales in comparison to the devastation that was Katrina.
2) The governor that was in charge of Louisiana was a Democrat, Kathleen Blanco.
3) The mayor of New Orleans was a Democrat, Ray Nagel. Nagel turned his office into a "pay for play" money making machine to pad his personal pockets, at the expense of the people that needed help from the hurricane.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ars-in-prison/

Naturally, the mainstream media put all the blame on Bush's administration and kept it there while downplaying any responsibility of the Democrat politicians who were actually in charge at the time.
Seriously, jmgg, you do not need to school me on any of what you included in your opening points 1, 2, 2, and 3 here. I am not any idiot. I consume tremendous volumes of news and analysis from widely varying sources each day. Yes, that means stepping out of my "comfort zone". And I also have been aware of the power pole situation in Iowa, specifically such that I read that Cedar Rapids alone needed to have 2,500 poles replaced!

But, in looking further at your words, I wonder why it was that I knew full well that the Democratic governor of Louisiana had failed in her duties so as to provide the needed leadership that that state needed in the aftermath of Katrina if it WASN'T COVERED by the mainstream press? Did I just dream that aspect of the disaster up out of thin air? No.. I saw it on tv and heard about it on the radio. Ditto with the failings of New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin so you can drop the loaded republican mantra of "We're so picked on by the biased media" faux outrage.

And as far as my own political preferences go, you obviously do not know me well enough to understand that I believe in the U.S. Constitution first and foremost as being the end all be all of what we should follow rather than an individual politician or political party. I came to know and fully understand that the Constitution was at the bedrock, dead center of my American beliefs as a young person; one who only 2 years before my own personal political epiphany occurred in 1974 had sat in front of the tv set chanting "Four more years!" (for richard m. nixon) along with the 1972 Republican Convention audience in Miami Beach.
That bedrock belief & faith in the U.S. Constitution is why I have been all over the place in my own political affiliations during my life time as both major parties have seemingly had their periods where they ebbed away from truly supporting the law as set forth by the Constitution and have really only provided lip service to it's principals. A case in point of a very serious ebbing away is occurring now via the very troubling attack on the Department of Justice by the current Attorney General Bill Barr. What he has done to render political favors and cover at the behest of the tRUMP Administration is unconscionable to me! Remember when tRUMP said, "Where's my Roy Cohn?" Well, he's got him now!

If you really knew more about me and or about my posting habits on the forum, you would know that I have advocated for a voter revolt among the residents of the City of Atlanta so as to revoke it's current charter and root out & end it's longstanding corruption issues in that government. I have advocated that Atlantans recast it's current specific type of mayor & council set up system of governance, despite the fact that it is a Democratic controlled city.

As for the current republican efforts post-derecho in iowa, below find an interesting read that came out last week from long-time Iowa writer & public policy advocate Randy Evans who contrasted the storm relief effectiveness of the current reynolds Administration with that of former Iowa Governor Terry Branstad who was a Republican and provided the needed leadership to guide Iowa through the disastrous summer flooding of 1993.

It's a very revealing opinion piece about reynolds, much as you may not care to hear it.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...se/3376423001/

Last edited by atler8; 08-26-2020 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: added a name I had omitted

Old 08-26-2020, 08:12 AM

Branstad, who was no Robert Ray, would be a real upgrade over the current fiasco. If nothing else, he has the necessary experience to handle crises like this.

Old 08-26-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Branstad, who was no Robert Ray, would be a real upgrade over the current fiasco. If nothing else, he has the necessary experience to handle crises like this.

i agree wholeheartedly, fezzador.
Although no favorite of mine due to much more recent issues that have come to the fore about him, I respect what Branstad did in concert with the newly-installed Clinton Administration so as to get aid appropriated and moving quickly. And for that, he deserves good cred!

Iowans with long memories that go back to '93 can appreciate the difference between the situation then and now if they truly reflect honestly about the contrast of the 2 time frames.

Last edited by atler8; 08-26-2020 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: corrected a spelling error

Old 08-26-2020, 08:50 AM

I also think that there was a lot more "reaching across the aisle" in the 90s and even early 2000s. The D's and R's have each taken a much more hardline stance than they did 15+ years ago.

Branstad struck me more as a mid-level conservative (along the lines of GWB and Mitt Romney) who was more concerned with economics than social issues (a fiscal conservative, if you will). Reynolds and her cronies are definitely pushing the social aspect a lot harder.

I think Branstad could have done a lot more as governor of Iowa, but he did not let the state sink into an abyss. Iowa is in free-fall mode with Reynolds unfortunately. It's quickly turning into the next Kansas, and if she's not careful, the next Mississippi. I have no faith in Iowa voters come election - they are either completely ignorant of her failures in office, or worse they're turning a blind eye. It used to be a very temperate state where Democrats and Republicans can be equally successful, but has taken a hard turn red the past few years. And that sort of goes against the trend of a state that's rapidly urbanizing - a lot fewer residents live in rural areas and small towns than they did in the 80s and 90s.

Old 08-26-2020, 11:35 AM

3,025 posts, read 3,339,343 times
Reynolds is doing OK, she's not a hard liner and did compromise on returning voting rights to felons, which I don't agree with, but it shows she's willing to negotiate with the other side on occasion and therefore I can't see why Fezzador hates her so much and is trying to compare her/Iowa with Kansas and Mississippi, lol. One thing not mentioned about Katrina and reason for delayed assistance, early on, organized gangs were shooting at aircraft trying to bring relief, a helicopter was shot down and no pilots wanted to fly in there to bring in supplies and aid, it just wasn't safe, and many national guard personal were in Iraq, making it hard to get a handle on the situation. For democrats, once again they have to try and defend the mobs and violence (or pretend it didn't happen) with an election just around the corner.

Might be getting off topic here, but America is a free spirit country, the public is not going to be as responsive to lockdowns and mandates as Europe and China. We pay for our freedom in a situation like Covid, and I don't really think the blame falls on Trump or Reynolds for attitudes of the public. It will be over in a few more months when a vaccine is ready, and that will be the end of this nightmare.

That said, for those of us who lost our jobs to covid, I'm a little disappointed to see them stall on the promised Trump relief announced 2 weeks ago, with the unemployment situation. My job is/was travel related and I liked the job, it's the job that I chose which is just right for me, and it will be there for me in a few more months. But I'm getting older now and not real keen on getting back out there for a temporary job that involves wearing a mask and dealing with the public, as I don't want to chance getting Corona without any insurance and the virus is such a crap shoot on what it does to you, I don't really want to risk it. Noticed on the Iowa Workforce Development site for unemployment, they posted an announcement starting Sept 8th, they are returning the requirement that you must apply for jobs to continue unemployment benefits. Think I might find it more wise to dip into savings and self isolate a little while longer until a vaccine is introduced, or my place of work calls me back. I'm glad I have that choice, many don't.

Back to weather related stuff, hope everyone has their power back on. It's been hot and dry this week, the drought situation is getting much worse and I can't imagine how tough it must be not having AC on a 95 degree day, this will be about the 5th day in a row of mid 90's with more on the way. WE NEED RAIN !!!

Last edited by mofford; 08-26-2020 at 11:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or