U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2020, 12:14 PM

555 posts, read 349,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
The ineptitude of this administration is staggering. I reeeeaaaallly hope Iowans have enough sense to vote Reynolds out this fall, but unfortunately my confidence in them isn't very high.

Here in Alabama we're fortunate to have Kay Ivey in office, she's done a respectable job responding to Covid, and cleaning up the Bentley mess as well.
Reynolds is not up for re-election this fall. So you can't be paying all that close of attention to the situation in this state, much less Cedar Rapids specifically. But please, continue to enlighten the crowd with your deep insights into this matter.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2020, 12:22 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,627,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedLife View Post
Reynolds is not up for re-election this fall. So you can't be paying all that close of attention to the situation in this state, much less Cedar Rapids specifically. But please, continue to enlighten the crowd with your deep insights into this matter.
So it's 2022 and not 2020. Sue me.

Old 08-26-2020, 01:55 PM

3,637 posts, read 3,615,587 times
In only touching on 1 point from your post mofford, please see the 2011 piece linked below from the New Orleans Times Picayune newspaper (the main New Orleans city paper) & specifically note the words found there of Ret. Army Lt. Gen. Russel Honore, who led Joint Task Force Katrina who said there were rampant stories of first responders being attacked by snipers, "but nothing I can substantiate."

And at the 2nd link, among the material there, specifically check out the 2nd paragraph as seen there in italics which reads:
"On Sept. 1, as patients sweltered in hospitals without power and thousands of people remained stranded on rooftops and in attics, crucial rescue efforts were delayed as word of [helicopter] attacks spread. But more than a month later, representatives from the Air Force, Coast Guard, Department of Homeland Security and Louisiana Air National Guard say they have yet to confirm a single incident of gunfire at helicopters. Likewise, members of several rescue crews who were told to halt operations say there is no evidence they were under fire."

https://www.nola.com/opinions/articl...e9a7d6a5c.html

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/anoth...mor-sho_b_8292

Sadly what you have claimed in your post happened in terms of shooting at the supply delivering helicopters in New Orleans is a result of the spread of unsubstantiated rumors that many news outlets, including some solid ones, initially reported on with some of them later retracting their words.

And as a person who now strongly leans Democratic on the political spectrum, I highly resent your words mofford that went, "For democrats, once again they have to try and defend the mobs and violence (or pretend it didn't happen)".

Multiple times every day I make an effort to step outside of my own preferred zone of comfort in terms of the media I choose to consume. I'd suggest that as a nation we might reap benefit if we all did so.

Last edited by atler8; 08-26-2020 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: edited out extra lines

Old 08-26-2020, 02:09 PM

Default Derecho, no power, day 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedLife View Post
Trust me on this, both Fezzador & I are lucid enough to know that reynolds is not up for re-election this year, but rather Senator ernst is. The fact they parrot rnc talking points instead of truth or medical facts makes telling them apart not an easy task at first glance.
But, should we assume that Governor reynolds should not be held accountable or possibly criticized for her policies and actions or lack of action unless it's a year in which she is running for re-election?
As my best friend in Des Moines has described her Covid briefings which too often have involved tRUMPist nonsense and foolishness rather than scientific & medical expertise, "She looks like a deer in the headlights".

As I mentioned in an earlier post today, please check out long time Iowa writer Randy Evans's piece of last week that appeared in the Register which compared the reynolds Administration response to the derecho disaster with how the Branstad Administration responded with the flood disaster of 1993 that affected virtually every one of the 99 counties.
There really is no comparison.
Better yet, ask a long time Iowa neighbor of yours about 1993 and the disaster relief effort.

Last edited by atler8; 08-26-2020 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: inserted a sentence that I'd left out

Old 08-26-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Trust me on this, both Fezzador & I are lucid enough to know that reynolds is not up for re-election this year, but rather Senator ernst is. The fact they parrot rnc talking points instead of truth or medical facts makes telling them apart not an easy task at first glance.
But, should we assume that Governor reynolds should not be held accountable or possibly criticized for her policies and actions or lack of action unless it's a year in which she is running for re-election?
As my best friend in Des Moines has described her Covid briefings which too often have involved tRUMPist nonsense and foolishness rather than scientific & medical expertise, "She looks like a deer in the headlights".

As I mentioned in an earlier post today, please check out long time Iowa writer Randy Evans's piece of last week that appeared in the Register which compared the reynolds Administration response to the derecho disaster with how the Branstad Administration responded with the flood disaster of 1993 that affected virtually every one of the 99 counties.
There really is no comparison.
Better yet, ask a long time Iowa neighbor of yours about 1993 and the disaster relief effort.
Oh atler, I see you and your extrapolations to false dilemmas are back in the Iowa forum. Last time/the only time we had an exchange in this forum, probably a year ago or so, you made a bunch of inflammatory and reactionary comments that I openly questioned. Then you (or someone, I presumed it was you but could have been someone else -- one of the many readers of this forum I'm sure ) got the moderator to delete your comments as well as my responses to them. Which seems to happen often enough on this forum and is why no one really bothers to use it much. Including me.

Thus, I'll happily leave the talking points up to you, and the highly knowledgeable but obviously still out of state fezzador. Have at it.

Old 08-26-2020, 07:50 PM

Glad to see Blessedlife that you and your wit are still going strong on the one hand but must note that on the other hand you are sadly mistaken.
After a 3 year plus absence from the Iowa forum I returned and made my first post here about 1 month ago. Perhaps you were dreaming or just missing me. That absence must have been a difficult dilemma for you.

I do recall your "wit" though from around early 2017 when you trashed a comment I made. That episode was a case of where you as a newbie at the Iowa forum didn't like the fact that I expressed disappointment in the rise of openly racist incidents that were occurring more frequently in Iowa at that time, especially among students. Those incidents and other factors did lead me to seriously reconsider my oft-expressed thoughts of returning to Iowa after retirement.

So, if calling out public racism in Iowa is "inflammatory" & "reactionary", then I guess that you and I will just live by different standards of what is acceptable in 2020.

Sometimes true substance is more preferable than "wit"...

Last edited by atler8; 08-26-2020 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: eliminated extra space lines

Old 08-26-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Glad to see Blessedlife that you and your wit are still going strong on the one hand but must note that on the other hand you are sadly mistaken.
After a 3 year plus absence from the Iowa forum I returned and made my first post here about 1 month ago. Perhaps you were dreaming or just missing me. That absence must have been a difficult dilemma for you.

I do recall your "wit" though from around early 2017 when you trashed a comment I made. That episode was a case of where you as a newbie at the Iowa forum didn't like the fact that I expressed disappointment in the rise of openly racist incidents that were occurring more frequently in Iowa at that time, especially among students. Those incidents and other factors did lead me to seriously reconsider my oft-expressed thoughts of returning to Iowa after retirement.

So, if calling out public racism in Iowa is "inflammatory" & "reactionary", then I guess that you and I will just live by different standards of what is acceptable in 2020.

Sometimes true substance is more preferable than "wit"...
If you had been fighting the good fight by simply standing up to racists, as you posit here, I wonder why you had your comments and mine erased from the forum.... Surely that would have been something to be proud of. It was obviously more complex than that.

It seems tragic that an incident when one felt the need to hide from one's previous comments would extend so far as to result in reconsidering relocation after retirement. But "true substance," I surmise, would help one rise above.

Enjoy the last word on this. I would prefer this thread to focus on the needs following the derecho (criticisms and all).

Old 08-27-2020, 06:46 AM

This is tiresome Blessedlife & I will not engage you further on the topic of what went down in 2017 in the posts on the forum.
But be clear, it is the moderators who make decisions of what stands and doesn't stand here in terms of posts. I did not advocate that any exchange we had be removed so you can stop with that insinuation.

If you don't like their efforts here, than take it up with them instead of theorizing & writing ".. wonder why you had your comments and mine erased..."
In view of that, your next sentence that includes the words "tragic" & "..hide from.."is completely off base & just a word salad of nothingness.

As I wrote here earlier, "substance" is of more import on the forum than is sarcastic "wit". Thus far, unlike fezzadorr and myself and others here, you have not brought any substance about the derecho disaster & it's aftermath into the conversation here.
When you do so, I'm sure that such substance will be welcome.

As regards the derecho, I just saw retired Army Lt. General Russell Honore who lives in Baton Rouge on television.. After President Bush sacked "Brownie", his FEMA director, Honore was put in charge & led the Katrina Joint Task Force effort that really led the concerted government effort to marshall forces such as FEMA and other government agencies to provide relief and aid to the New Orleans area after Hurricane Katrina.
His words of what has happened in the Houston area since the 2017 aftermath of that destructive storm left 125 billion in damages and thousands of housing units flooded there is sobering.
In addition, he similarly spoke about the aftermath in Puerto Rico in 2017 after the devastation there caused by Hurricane Maria.
The sobering thing is that Honore made clear that recovery processes are slow and that the lost housing in both of those calamitously hit areas has not yet been replaced. That was 3 years ago folks...

The primary FEMA and other governmental agency focus will soon turn to Louisiana & southeast Texas now that hurricane Laura has hit the U.S.
With the Cedar Rapids area and other communities & farms badly damaged and many housing units uninhabitable, the reality facing Iowans is a sobering one.
For Iowans, there is now the opportunity to pick up their checkbooks so as to donate to reliable charitable agencies & also for volunteer efforts to continue apace.

Old 08-28-2020, 10:20 AM

1,282 posts, read 1,627,826 times
I know it isn't much, but at least I know the $23 I spent on that Raygun T-shirt is going to a good cause. If I lived closer, or was in a position to spend a week and volunteer, I'd gladly do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or