U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 04:23 AM

1,670 posts, read 2,397,475 times

Advertisements

Here in Cedar Rapids it’s a disaster. Some power is back on in parts of the city but my neighborhood is still without A/C or power. National Guard is suppose to arrive today. May be another week before power restored. Windows blown out, trees and lines down curfew enforced. Throw out all stuff from refrigerators. Thank God the garbage trucks came yesterday. Thankful water is still on. Hotels closed or full.

https://www.kcrg.com/2020/08/13/resi...ath-of-storms/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.pre...amp/3349746001

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...mplate=amphtml

Last edited by smpliving; 08-14-2020 at 05:18 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2020, 06:52 AM

656 posts, read 252,115 times
My son lives in CR and has sent a few messages. I’m trying to follow the news. He is also still without power. Their freezer was full and they’re using the gas grill to use up what they can before having to throw food out. He was really disappointed to hear how much longer it expected to be before power is restored.

What a terrible weather event the Midwest experienced and your county was hit so much harder than anywhere else.

Sending positive thoughts from NC. They said this is worse than the flooding from several years ago. We’ll all be glad to see the end of 2020.

Old 08-14-2020, 08:48 AM

Thank you for the kind words. I was able to get through today to my insurance company and leave a voicemail as my kitchen window arch was leaking a steady stream of water. I’m much much better off than so many others. Drove up the Interstate toward Waterloo early this morning and saw 6 utility trucks one after the other heading toward Cedar Rapids.

Old 08-15-2020, 09:16 PM

886 posts, read 1,002,037 times
I first heard of your storm earlier this week in an Instant Pot Facebook group - a member posted asking for ideas of what to cook to feed people without power. She stated Iowa had a “hurricane”. Then, tonight on ABC network news the storm was mentioned and huge crop losses mentioned. One crying woman was told she might not have electricity for 3 more weeks.

What a shame that this wasn’t mentioned sooner. This country is so quick to send aid to other countries, but Iowa can suffer for a week with no help.

I hope for the best for all affected by this storm.

Old 08-16-2020, 07:34 AM

656 posts, read 252,115 times
We’re trying to follow the news since we have family in Cedar Rapids. They aren’t far from downtown and it’s day 7 with no power.

Leaders blame downed communication for delays in help but I really think they have failed. No FEMA help after a week, took 5 days to call for Iowa National Guard. People seem to mostly be on their own.

Old 08-16-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLfan1977 View Post
We’re trying to follow the news since we have family in Cedar Rapids. They aren’t far from downtown and it’s day 7 with no power.

Leaders blame downed communication for delays in help but I really think they have failed. No FEMA help after a week, took 5 days to call for Iowa National Guard. People seem to mostly be on their own.
Yes. The mayor of Cedar Rapids says there’s no need for the National Guard while our state Senator announced a few hour later that the National Guard are coming. We have a lot of people living in tents now especially our immigrants and refugees associated with the meat packing plants. Citizens are doing the best they can to help each other. Still no power on my upper level condo. I got in my car yesterday afternoon when it became unbearable with a few underwear And just started driving west ending up in Des Moines at a hotel. I am staying another night and watching the weather to see if the humidity will drop. My family on the West Coast didn’t even know about our crises here until I text them yesterday. I am thankful I have the resources to get away at least for awhile.

Old 08-16-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
I first heard of your storm earlier this week in an Instant Pot Facebook group - a member posted asking for ideas of what to cook to feed people without power. She stated Iowa had a “hurricane”. Then, tonight on ABC network news the storm was mentioned and huge crop losses mentioned. One crying woman was told she might not have electricity for 3 more weeks.

What a shame that this wasn’t mentioned sooner. This country is so quick to send aid to other countries, but Iowa can suffer for a week with no help.

I hope for the best for all affected by this storm.
I was told the Derecho we had is equivalent to a hurricane level 2. We had no warning until a few minutes or so before it hit my neighborhood. At first I thought it was the usual tornado warning but then a couple minutes into the storm before power went off they announce 100+ mph winds and I ran to the bottom garage hallway the safest place in my condo building. It seemed to last forever and I thought the huge trees would fall on our building as I peeked around the corner to the front door and window arch the tall trees were almost swaying to the ground and I thought maybe my time was up. I called my daughter in Wyoming and she stayed with me until we lost connection. I’ve been thru 2 major earthquakes in Southern California in 1970s and 1993but this was much more terrifying and I seem like it just kept coming at least half an hour or so

Old 08-16-2020, 09:57 AM

3,025 posts, read 3,339,343 times
It was an incredibly powerful storm for this part of the country, and yes, now I know what a category 1 hurricane feels like, it sucks. We had 80 MPH sustained winds at the airport in Des Moines, in Marshall and Linn counties they had 112 MPH winds which equals a category 3 hurricane. It only lasted a couple hours but it took out about one third of the state corn crop and tree branches are down everywhere. So many grain bins were destroyed, there will be big problems with grain storage this fall, for those who still have a crop.

I was lucky and only had one pickup load of branches to haul away, and did not lose power for more than a minute. Half the city lost power anywhere from 1 to 5 days and it was a hot & humid week to be without AC, with dew points above 70 and highs pushing 90. I feel the worst for those poor folks in Marshall county, 97% of county residents lost power and many still in the dark, they just got hit 2 years ago with a bad tornado, which did major damage in Marshalltown and destroyed the court house building and several houses and businesses downtown.

Sure has been a F'd up year, beautiful weather coming to Iowa this coming week, but no state fair. The city had been much more calm this past month with the rioting and vandalism coming to an end, and the destruction pretty much cleaned up, but now working on the storm destruction, the bike trails have wood piled up high along the sides, but most of them are passable now, and I have about 1300 bicycle miles racked up so far this season, been a pretty nice summer for that. Some good news, Iowa is one of the first state approved on the Donald bucks, come Friday, anyone who was getting at least 100 bucks a week from state unemployment, will be getting an extra 300 bucks a week, retro active from Aug 1st so we get back pay for congress down time, lol. Yabba Dabba Do, I'm ready to suck some more gravy and get back some of that property tax money that's been bleeding me for so many years now.

The state should be in pretty good fiscal shape for all the new taxes that got passed over the past decade or so. The plate registration fees that went up in 2009, the 10 cent a gallon gas tax increase, the mother load in 2017, being able to finally collect state tax on online purchases, which had to be a major gusher for state coffers. There was also a local Des Moines sales tax increase passed on the promise of property tax reduction, which never happened.

Old 08-16-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLfan1977 View Post

I’m near downtown also about 7 minutes with driving. I heard it’s bad in the core but I stay away. I heard the same thing about FEMA also and the chaos and confusion from our city leaders especially the mayor. I can say at least in my neighborhood they are very Very angry with the overall response so far. That’s putting it mildly.

Old 08-16-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
It was an incredibly powerful storm for this part of the country, and yes, now I know what a category 1 hurricane feels like, it sucks. We had 80 MPH sustained winds at the airport in Des Moines, in Marshall and Linn counties they had 112 MPH winds which equals a category 3 hurricane. It only lasted a couple hours but it took out about one third of the state corn crop and tree branches are down everywhere. So many grain bins were destroyed, there will be big problems with grain storage this fall, for those who still have a crop.

I was lucky and only had one pickup load of branches to haul away, and did not lose power for more than a minute. Half the city lost power anywhere from 1 to 5 days and it was a hot & humid week to be without AC, with dew points above 70 and highs pushing 90. I feel the worst for those poor folks in Marshall county, 97% of county residents lost power and many still in the dark, they just got hit 2 years ago with a bad tornado, which did major damage in Marshalltown and destroyed the court house building and several houses and businesses downtown.

Sure has been a F'd up year, beautiful weather coming to Iowa this coming week, but no state fair. The city had been much more calm this past month with the rioting and vandalism coming to an end, and the destruction pretty much cleaned up, but now working on the storm destruction, the bike trails have wood piled up high along the sides, but most of them are passable now, and I have about 1300 bicycle miles racked up so far this season, been a pretty nice summer for that. Some good news, Iowa is one of the first state approved on the Donald bucks, come Friday, anyone who was getting at least 100 bucks a week from state unemployment, will be getting an extra 300 bucks a week, retro active from Aug 1st so we get back pay for congress down time, lol. Yabba Dabba Do, I'm ready to suck some more gravy and get back some of that property tax money that's been bleeding me for so many years now.

The state should be in pretty good fiscal shape for all the new taxes that got passed over the past decade or so. The plate registration fees that went up in 2009, the 10 cent a gallon gas tax increase, the mother load in 2017, being able to finally collect state tax on online purchases, which had to be a major gusher for state coffers. There was also a local Des Moines sales tax increase tax passed on the promise of property tax reduction, which never happened.
Yesterday when I checked into the hotel in Des Moines there was a family ahead of me who had extensive damage to their Des Moines house and is uninhabitable. They are staying at this hotel for 14 days. My neighborhood in Cedar Rapids 3 condo buildings had trees taking out their roofs and kitchens and bedrooms and are uninhabitable indefinitely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or