U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 08:48 AM

40 posts, read 11,945 times

Advertisements

If you didn't attend, you don't know crap k?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2020, 09:53 AM

21,841 posts, read 38,269,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzyhippie View Post
If you didn't attend, you don't know crap k?
That sentence has an interesting structure to it.

Old 10-27-2020, 10:16 AM

Grinnell is a good academic environment for sure, but it's NOT balanced at all....sadly some of the profs and administrators are old-hippie-types including the newly past president and its newly-minted one Anne Harris.

GO READ Wiki about Grinnell, if you doubt its leftist BENT, hey, it's not that I'm making this crap up.

"Grinnell is known for its rigorous academics, innovative pedagogy, and commitment to social justice."

"Social Justice" ?? what on earth do you think THAT connotes???

Again, get an education, and go READ various articles on Grinnell, and especially Wiki

It's a bastion for LEFT WING THOUGHT.....period.

Old 10-27-2020, 01:21 PM

3,502 posts, read 3,433,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzyhippie View Post
Grinnell is a good academic environment for sure, but it's NOT balanced at all....sadly some of the profs and administrators are old-hippie-types including the newly past president and its newly-minted one Anne Harris.

GO READ Wiki about Grinnell, if you doubt its leftist BENT, hey, it's not that I'm making this crap up.

"Grinnell is known for its rigorous academics, innovative pedagogy, and commitment to social justice."

"Social Justice" ?? what on earth do you think THAT connotes???

Again, get an education, and go READ various articles on Grinnell, and especially Wiki

It's a bastion for LEFT WING THOUGHT.....period.
Ahem... OK, so you went to Grinnell... great; fine school, as I noted above. Still, others who didn't go there but who are knowledgeable about the school are entitled to an opinion... Fact is, for someone who claims to be a Grinnellean as yourself, I'm surprised you're ignorant of the term "social justice". In the context of the Wikipedia article, as is the case on Grinnell's own website and the many articles I've read about the school, it refers to the fact that Grinnell early on bore leaders (admin and profs) and students and alumni had a humanistic approach re the social/economic ills of the nation. They were people who fought against slavery and, more notably, produced 5 famous alums who were a part of FDR's New Deal administration battling to save the poor and the hopeless during the Depression.

So the term 'social justice' just like the word 'liberal' has been hijacked and coopt-ed by right-wingers like you who have a 1-track, my-way-or-the-highway, group-think mentality. So if you really are pro-slavery and pro-poor folks suffering during a crisis like the Great Depression (as many are during today's great COVID depression), I have nothing to say to you.

Old 10-28-2020, 10:56 AM

1,091 posts, read 2,041,988 times
Based on the attacks on poor ignorant, pro-slavery, pro-poor people suffering, Archie Bunker clone zazzyhippie, I think his/her opinions regarding Grinnell have been validated; i.e., Grinnell is indeed a left-wing bastion.

Old 10-28-2020, 12:56 PM

3,502 posts, read 3,433,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
Based on the attacks on poor ignorant, pro-slavery, pro-poor people suffering, Archie Bunker clone zazzyhippie, I think his/her opinions regarding Grinnell have been validated; i.e., Grinnell is indeed a left-wing bastion.
Good, if that's what you want to believe. The school will be better off without people who think like you.

Old 10-28-2020, 10:56 PM

20,399 posts, read 25,556,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Grinnell is a great, small liberal-arts college. Lots of intelligent students and faculty from all around the country and world; there's little wonder why Grinnell is so highly rated... A good friend of mine years ago went there and loved it. It is isolated in the Iowa cornfields, but is in a very progressive, industrious small town that really supports the college.

As for being some 'liberal bastion', if your politics is so important to you and that everybody in a school must think exactly like you, then by all means, go somewhere where you/your kids, will be comfortable... Hilsdalle College, Oral Roberts, BYU or Liberty would probably be more your speed, and that's your right. And btw, even at those so-called 'liberal bastions' like Grinnell or Wisconsin or Berkeley, there are plenty of right-leaning students and Republican and strong pro-Christian groups on campus.

But some people want a college to be total right-wing group think otherwise, it's too liberal/radical/communist for them. And even the prior posters negative comment about "homosexuals" shows where his/her mindset is. Folks like that are better off going somewhere else because people like me or my kids wouldn't want him/her there, anyway.
Perfect post, as usual.

I totally agree with everything - especially that last sentence.

Old 10-29-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Good, if that's what you want to believe. The school will be better off without people who think like you.

Typical "Grinnellian" leftist "professorial/academic" retort. You see, leftists preach "tolerance", as long as you agree with THEM.

I saw this BS permeating every facet of on-campus life while at Grinnell, and so did my sibling (the MD).

They can't help themselves. They admire and preach "inclusion" but only within the mantra of "leftism". Indoctrination is their method. They even suck implementing that in that they are embarrassingly transparent in their goal - co-optation of minds, morals and values.

Don't confuse liberalism with LEFTIST ideology. Grinnell abandoned its liberal agenda decades ago in favor for leftist, radical thinking and causes. There IS no tolerance, don't you see? You can witness it here.

"You don't belong at Grinnell" if you don't accept, endorse and embrace our raison d'etre. B u llchit.

Again, is it a good academic experience? yes. Is it balanced or even Socratic? hell no.

If you didn't attend Grinnell, you only know what someone told you or by something like US News and World Report wrote about, or worse yet, you swallowed some BS spewed by another leftist partison analyst.

I know what the hell I'm talking about. You want academic freedom of thought, political, social, religious thought? you "ain't going to get it at Grinnell. They spoonfeed you a hefty serving of leftist ideals and ideas.

Old 10-29-2020, 11:16 AM

Thank god I left and ended up with a fairly balanced graduate and professional school education at The University of Alabama....not a super school, but balanced and down to earth, the professors and administrators weren't trying to sway you one way or the other - they taught us to THINK critically.

I started at a snobby "liberal" (not leftist) private boarding prep school in Massachusetts, left for the Midwest (despite being accepted at Dartmouth....tired of the east coast BS) - entered Grinnell, left that leftist bastion and came to a sane and balanced academic environment in Alabama.

Glad I made the academic "journey" in order to earn to think for myself.

I wouldn't send my dog, no matter how brilliant, to Grinnell College these days, especially given the very high tuition.

Roll Tide.

Old 10-30-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
. And btw, even at those so-called 'liberal bastions' like Grinnell or Wisconsin or Berkeley, there are plenty of right-leaning students and Republican and strong pro-Christian groups on campus.

That's absolutely FALSE. At "leftist bastions" (not liberal, but nice try at bait and switch) like Grinnell or Wiconsin/Madison there are NOT PLENTY of "right-leanng students".......are you nuts or just hellbent on twisting the facts?? "PLENTY" ???? you are dead wrong. There are NOT "plenty" of professors and administrators who are even MODERATE in these "leftist bastion colleges and universities" EITHER.

So much for your ostrich-like "facts", eh?

Get real, pal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa