Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2020, 08:00 AM

717 posts, read 446,518 times

Advertisements

Sorry for being interrogatory but I want to hear from the people of Iowa. Counties voted for Obama and now HEAVILY backed Trump in 2020

Nobody outside Iowa understands this

Old 11-04-2020, 08:38 AM

77 posts, read 132,409 times
Today's election map is identical to the one four years ago. Four years ago, Trump was able to tap into a segment of the population that had been ignored by both parties for a long time. When Obama won his first term, he tapped into a segment of the population that had been ignored and many long time Republican counties swung his way heavily.

This isn't mystifying and has nothing to do with Trump or Obama. It is just what happens in a state with a lot of politically middle of the road people who feel alienated by both major political parties.

Old 11-04-2020, 09:04 AM

717 posts, read 446,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lthenderson View Post
Today's election map is identical to the one four years ago. Four years ago, Trump was able to tap into a segment of the population that had been ignored by both parties for a long time. When Obama won his first term, he tapped into a segment of the population that had been ignored and many long time Republican counties swung his way heavily.

This isn't mystifying and has nothing to do with Trump or Obama. It is just what happens in a state with a lot of politically middle of the road people who feel alienated by both major political parties.
Oh this does explain it well. Iowa has a more intelligent local political system and earned the maturity as a state to be a caucus straw poll state. One of the most middle of the road states in the Union, with the Northeast corner of the state rural yet progressive on the use of technology and alternative energy, bringing it in line with the interests of any number of larger political party leaders like Sanders, Warren, Obama, even Trump I guess. If Biden wins I will write to Biden about fulfilling interests for the people of Iowa, they are going to get value out of Biden too. Alternative energy jobs, biodiesel on Iowa farms, and educational projects that start with Iowa local schools.

Old 11-04-2020, 06:58 PM

3,316 posts, read 4,100,546 times
Last summer's mob fest was the biggest factor, IMO. I'm very disgusted that Wisconsin and Minnesota went for Biden after all the destruction up there, especially Minnesota. They never learn, I think they are fools and are inviting more trouble. Just thought I would mention, The Iowa schools do a mock election aka Iowa Youth Straw Poll, over 350 school districts across Iowa participated, It was a republican sweep with Trump winning 57% of the vote, almost mirroring last night's election results. They got the Axne/Young race wrong by 2 points, as Axne did win district 3 again by taking Polk county 56 to 40%, which was enough to take down all the the other 15 counties in district 3, all of which voted for David Young (R). Axne won by 1.5%.

Youth Straw Poll results
https://www.thegazette.com/subject/n...-poll-20201027

About covid, nothing is going to stop covid, it's spreading just as fast in the countries that take stronger measures to combat. At this point, so long as the hospitals can keep up with patient load, there's no need for mandates and lockdowns.

Trump has accomplished much in his first term, sad to see him go. I think he was making headway in the Middle East, and his anti China policy is spot on. The threat China poses to America and the west grows more with each passing year. Trump backs the 2nd amendment and offered help to cities whom wanted to get the mobs under control, and protected federal property in war zone cities like Portland. Even with no more riots, it will take decades for cities like Minneapolis to regain the economic momentum and rebuild everything they lost. I can't believe Polk County leaned just as blue as they did back in 2016, after the destruction last summer, it makes me sick.

Old 11-05-2020, 09:08 AM

6 posts, read 5,984 times
6 countys went blue its urban vs rural im proud to live in scott county,one of the blue countys

Old 11-05-2020, 10:21 AM

305 posts, read 210,312 times
The middle of the road voters I know in Iowa went for Obama in 08 and Trump both times. Seems like a contradiction, but they want to be heard and both those candidates spoke to them. They are also appalled at the leftist-backed violence and destruction, the endless shaming of White Americans, the rewriting of history like 1619 by rage-filled activists, and then to have essentially all arms of media, tech, education, and entertainment ignore, excuse, or even push for it. Last month I visited Iowa and locals hadn’t even heard that the magnificent mile and Chicago had been heavily looted in August. Think about that: a neighboring state and the worst devastation wrought on its most iconic boulevard barely reported on.

Old 11-05-2020, 05:00 PM

Another thing to consider, Trump has been backing the farmers with payments to make up for the depressed grain prices, resulting from the grain contracts canceled by China. Will Biden continue those subsidy payments to the farmers? The farmers had little choice but to protect themselves and vote for Trump. Will Biden hang them out to dry? Will Biden kiss some Chinese butt and drop the tariffs in an attempt to reestablish those old trade agreements? The rural economy in Iowa is more closely linked to agriculture and livestock prices, so rural voters in farm country had plenty of incentive to vote for Trump.

As for the red shift in 2016, Obama's second term did that, sweetheart deal to Iran, kissing up to Cuba, the gay marriage/transgender stuff, the proliferation of race riots and rise of BLM, slow reaction to ISIS threat and bad immigration policies/border security, giving refugees & illegals better housing and money than homeless Americans get, ect ect.

Old 11-06-2020, 12:33 PM

3,810 posts, read 6,394,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Last summer's mob fest was the biggest factor, IMO. I'm very disgusted that Wisconsin and Minnesota went for Biden after all the destruction up there, especially Minnesota. They never learn, I think they are fools and are inviting more trouble.
Trump won Wisconsin. The corrupt democratic cesspool in Milwaukee engineered a post election ballot dump to flip the result, just as they did in Detroit, Atlanta and Philadelphia. This was the whole reason the dems used Covid to create mail in voting.....because they knew they'd be able to utilize it in the major democrat controlled cities to erase any Trump leads. This has been the most obvious and disgusting display of corruption I have ever witnessed in over 50 years of living in this nation.

As for Minnesota, I am out of excuses for this state. We moved here in '17 for a good job opportunity and were happy to take advantage of the then superior educational system for our kids. It was nice in the beginning, and although Minnesota had obviously been a liberal state going back a long way (we are conservatives) I was ok with it because it was a beautiful place with a strong economy, excellent educational opportunities for our kids and I figured we were still in a good enough place as a society that we could continue living amongst each other in harmony regardless of our positions on the political spectrum. I had never before allowed political partisanship to cloud our judgement in correlation with what happened to be best for our family.

So things were good. Then came the radical assault, which changed Minnesota from one of the most vibrant and stable spots anywhere to a careening dumpster fire that in turn ignited a national anarchist revolution. It began a couple years ago with the ascensions of radical leftists such as Ilhan Omar, Jacob Frey and Keith Ellison and then was allowed to fester by the likes of the supposedly more "moderate" state leaders such as Tim Walz and Amy Klobuchar, who sanctioned the George Floyd riots through their silence/inaction and also crippled the state socially and economically through the ridiculously overreactive Covid edicts.

As a result, the Minnesota we live in today bears little resemblance to the Minnesota we arrived in some 3 and a half years ago. The Twin Cities used to be the center of the universe for this entire region - a place we would all brag about - and now people are afraid to go there. It feels like it did when I lived in Detroit. I've pulled all of our personal business (mostly entertainment and healthcare) out of Minneapolis in particular. You can't even go down there anymore without having to worry about people running around on the freeways, being harassed, carjacked, robbed, shot. It's insane and something I never thought I'd see to this level here. I guess that's what happens when your "leaders" demonize and abandon their law enforcement agencies in favor of embracing and promoting criminals. The remaining police there (those who haven't quit or retired) are afraid to do their jobs because they know they have no support from the liberal state officials who run things through their majority. My kids school lives have all but ceased to exist, with the constant "should we/should we not" Covid flip flops. Distance learning is a complete joke.... doesn't offer even a fraction of the educational value they had before....and there is no end to it in sight with the media and liberal politicians incessantly pushing Covid as the modern day black plague so they can rule beneath the guise of these "emergency powers". These politicians here have gone so far left that it's literally become frightening......and like you said, they basically just re-elected them all including going for Biden overwhelmingly! This is one of the biggest negatives to me about living in Minnesota....in that it's a state of 5 million people with roughly 4 million of those living in the Twin Cities metro, Duluth and Rochester.....all liberal bastions. The rest of us basically have no voice in any sort of general election as it goes.

We thought we'd found our forever home not long after we arrived up here, but at this point I don't see how I can continue to subject us to this unchecked leftist radicalism minus any legitimate conservative resistance. Minnesota has become so blue it is nearly black (not the racial black, so don't even go there, libs) and this is no longer the place we knew not all that long ago. These politicians are dangerous people and they are doing dangerous things. As much as it hurts we've begun researching states that at least have a legitimately conservative governmental presence to potentially relocate to.

Old 11-06-2020, 12:55 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,642,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
The farmers had little choice but to protect themselves and vote for Trump.
You mean vote for the guy who shot the initiating salvo against China and started the trade war that led to the cancellation of said contracts in the first place? Unreal.

That's like saying, hey the German U-boat blew a Texas sized hole through my merchant ship at night, but they're throwing me a flotation ring, so they're prob the good guys. LOL. Given the cognitive dissonance in full display by the "stop the count! I mean, count the vote! I mean---" of Republicans in AZ and MI, the logical fallacy of voting for the guy who tanked your soy market in the first place would be par for the course for Iowa Ag owners I suppose.

Old 11-06-2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Trump won Wisconsin. The corrupt democratic cesspool in Milwaukee engineered a post election ballot dump to flip the result, just as they did in Detroit, Atlanta and Philadelphia. This was the whole reason the dems used Covid to create mail in voting.....because they knew they'd be able to utilize it in the major democrat controlled cities to erase any Trump leads. This has been the most obvious and disgusting display of corruption I have ever witnessed in over 50 years of living in this nation.

As for Minnesota, I am out of excuses for this state. We moved here in '17 for a good job opportunity and were happy to take advantage of the then superior educational system for our kids. It was nice in the beginning, and although Minnesota had obviously been a liberal state going back a long way (we are conservatives) I was ok with it because it was a beautiful place with a strong economy, excellent educational opportunities for our kids and I figured we were still in a good enough place as a society that we could continue living amongst each other in harmony regardless of our positions on the political spectrum. I had never before allowed political partisanship to cloud our judgement in correlation with what happened to be best for our family.
I wouldn't be surprised if there was fraud involved in some of the states where it was very close, such as WI, PA, GA. Close elections make it easier to skew, and there's a history of it. Look up "Landslide Lyndon" to see how sometimes even when it's proven, nothing happens and the real winner gets shut out. The 1960 Nixon Kennedy election was said to be tipped by vote fraud in Illinois, but Nixon couldn't prove it. Trump has a couple months to prove it, and I don't blame him for not conceding until everything is examined more closely and the votes are recounted. Maybe something will surface but I think that's a longshot, too many different states where he came up short, the fraud would have to involve a lot of people and risk one of them talking. That's what Trump needs, one of them to spill the beans and open it wide up.

If he can prove fraud in one state, but not the others, there's still the matter of whether or not that state's electoral count made enough difference to swing the election. The dems have treated Mr. Trump quite unfairly thru his whole term, with the false accusations and phony impeachment hearings, if Trump is falsely accusing them now, he certainly owes them a false accusation or two. They did everything they could to slander him for the past 4 years.

I don't blame you for leaving MN after what you described, feel bad you had to live thru the mayhem, I see the circus squad star IIhan Omar won 5th district with 65% of the vote, queen of the rubble, she smoked you out. The mayor of Minneapolis is a pawn to be moved at will by the mob, he can't tie his own shoelaces. Looking out from Iowa, sad to see almost every nearby major city surrounding us has huge problems. Chicago, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, St. Louis..... Kansas City is not quite as bad as the before mentioned, but still a potential powder keg, The Missouri government is RED enough to contain. Omaha is a smaller version of KC, probably as good as it gets for a larger town willing to hold the fort.

As to the poster whom pointed out the dumped grain contracts from China were Trump's fault. Somebody had to stand up to China and correct the unfair trade practices and offshoring of jobs. If not Trump, than someone else very soon will have to say no to China. We may have to go all the way and sever all trade with China someday, and apply pressure to our allies to do the same. They are a rival of the west and nothing good will come by feeding their economy. Everything we now buy from China, we should be looking for an alternative source for those items. More manufacturing in America and other poor countries we have good relations with, for production of cheaper goods and clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of: