U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 07:03 AM

14 posts, read 30,447 times
What do you mean by a Communist state?? Have you ever lived in CA. I grew up near the Sierra's in Lake Tahoe which is very laid back and beautiful. Most of my friends in my old neighborhood were originally from the Mid-west and enjoy living in CA. They are also the reason why I agreed to move to the Mid-west since they were such good neighboors and friends. I think the people here in Iowa are also very friendly, and family oriented, but they need to reach out more to people from other places. Instead just their immediate families. Friends are also very important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 08:01 AM

310 posts, read 860,867 times
california is the reason for the lack of diesel cars in America which is a bad thing, they are far more efficient than gasoline engines.

They also have ridiculous gun control laws that don't make a lick of sense. Oh lets not forget super high taxes, fuel, housing, food and well even toilet paper costs a bunch more out there. And the big cities suck, well all big cities suck but cali's big cities are the worst.

The only good thing about cali are the national parks and my family members that live there even if they are blind to the fact that they think paying $800,000 for a 1200s.f house is worth it.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:55 AM

38 posts, read 116,187 times
I have lived in Iowa, Illinois, & Minnesota all my life, andbthe lack of weather (in southern Cali, anyway) was depressing to me!! GOTTA HAVE VARIETY!!
You haven't lived until you've cheated death by outwitting a tornado!! (4 for me so far in my 44 years)
Blizzards are fun too, GOT 4X4?
People make of their surroundings what they expect, others just don't try, too bad...................
And the people here ARE nice, just not 'California' nice...........
[/rant]

Old 05-28-2008, 11:05 AM

154 posts, read 590,557 times
Quote:
I moved here because my husband was transfered and he had been telling me for years how much he loved growing up in Iowa. Since we have children I thought it was worth a try and now he won't acknowledge that I am truly suffering from depression. He's says were staying and I'm just trying to cope since I really miss my family.
My husband grew up in South East Iowa also. We have a 2 year old daughter. He always tells me that Iowa would be the best place for her to grow up, bla bla bla. But since I've lived there before, I wouldn't agree to go back. Now we are living near my family in Northern CA and never been happier. I know my husband misses his family from time to time, but I know he loves it here too. The weather and people have a lot to do with my day to day happiness. We enjoy Iowa by going back for a week or two in the summer time to visit his side of the family. That is enough for me. I am not a big city person either, that is not why I can't live in Iowa though. I can't live there because the weather is bad, the people can act depressing and boring, and I just plain don't fit in. Everyone is different though. I am sure there are people living in Iowa from somewhere else and they might love it. It was just not for me. Too small town and too inland I guess. I can't go years without smelling the ocean air once in awhile. Being on the west coast makes me feel free, not trapped. And just so you know, my husband is just like yours, he doesn't see anything wrong with Iowa at all because he grew up there. Arguing your points will not get you anywhere. You might have to write him a letter or sit him down and explain. Warning though, if you guys do move back to CA, then he might not be happy and you will have to deal with that too! Weigh your options. Where is your family in California? I am in the Sacramento area. My husband was born and raised in South East Iowa for 20 years before moving away. He moved away because it was boring there, but now he wants to go back! But I told him after a few years, he would start getting bored again just like before. I guess everyone misses what they don't/can't have. I love being back in my hometown, I could not move anywhere else and pretend it was the same.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:41 AM

534 posts, read 998,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnimouse View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I currently live in the SE corner of Iowa out in the country near Muscatine. I'm 30 miles from Iowa City and 35 from the Quad Cities. It's pretty here, but also a bit boring. Their doesn't seem to be many people out here that are not from this area. Most people have their entire families within a 20 mile radius and hang out with mainly their family members..not much room for friends. I moved here because my husband was transfered and he had been telling me for years how much he loved growing up in Iowa. Since we have children I thought it was worth a try and now he won't acknowledge that I am truly suffering from depression. He's says were staying and I'm just trying to cope since I really miss my family.
We know exactly how you are feeling. We've lived in Cedar Rapids for 4 years now. Moved from Wisconsin for hubby's job. I'm slowly getting used to it. The boredom is what kills me here. I'm so used to a ton more shopping and restaurants. I've come to terms that the boredom will never be gone. We make do with what there is. Never bored where we used to live. It was really hard to get used to a town/city being maybe 10-15 miles from where we are and it's just farm, no shops, restaurants, not even gas stations. It was strange. Used to having towns close by filled with things to do.

We miss family big time. With gas so outrageous, we don't get home as much and family and friends don't visit us as much either. I can say if we didn't have a house, we would've been gone by now.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:21 PM

14 posts, read 30,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy77 View Post
My husband grew up in South East Iowa also. We have a 2 year old daughter. He always tells me that Iowa would be the best place for her to grow up, bla bla bla. But since I've lived there before, I wouldn't agree to go back. Now we are living near my family in Northern CA and never been happier. I know my husband misses his family from time to time, but I know he loves it here too. The weather and people have a lot to do with my day to day happiness. We enjoy Iowa by going back for a week or two in the summer time to visit his side of the family. That is enough for me. I am not a big city person either, that is not why I can't live in Iowa though. I can't live there because the weather is bad, the people can act depressing and boring, and I just plain don't fit in. Everyone is different though. I am sure there are people living in Iowa from somewhere else and they might love it. It was just not for me. Too small town and too inland I guess. I can't go years without smelling the ocean air once in awhile. Being on the west coast makes me feel free, not trapped. And just so you know, my husband is just like yours, he doesn't see anything wrong with Iowa at all because he grew up there. Arguing your points will not get you anywhere. You might have to write him a letter or sit him down and explain. Warning though, if you guys do move back to CA, then he might not be happy and you will have to deal with that too! Weigh your options. Where is your family in California? I am in the Sacramento area. My husband was born and raised in South East Iowa for 20 years before moving away. He moved away because it was boring there, but now he wants to go back! But I told him after a few years, he would start getting bored again just like before. I guess everyone misses what they don't/can't have. I love being back in my hometown, I could not move anywhere else and pretend it was the same.
Wow your story sounds so simular to mine..amazing. I used to live outside of Sacramento in a place called Shingle Springs. I actually grew up in Santa Clara around many fruit orchards. When we got hungry as kids we would pick the fruit and berries..lots of good times. I'll be there for the end of July and Aug and can't wait. Thank you for your help

Old 05-28-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Wow your story sounds so simular to mine..amazing. I used to live outside of Sacramento in a place called Shingle Springs. I actually grew up in Santa Clara around many fruit orchards. When we got hungry as kids we would pick the fruit and berries..lots of good times. I'll be there for the end of July and Aug and can't wait. Thank you for your help
Yes I know where Shingle Springs is, I lived in Placerville for 5 years! And I was born in the Bay Area also, wasn't almost everyone who lives in Sacramento now? I hope you find your nitch in Iowa. I just never did so my memories of living in Iowa are little bitter. Iowa is great in the summer when we come visit! But living there, I can't do. My husbands parents even offered to help us buy a house there if we would go back. I still don't want to. Yes, maybe it would be a safe place to raise my daughter, but I don't want her being too bored and end up drinking and doing drugs like most of husbands old childhood friends. I want to learn other activities besides partying. My husband thinks raising her here in CA might make her more materialistic or stuck up or whatever, but that's such a stereotype, I think they have been watching too many episodes of 90210 and Baywatch. It is NOT like that in this area. As you well know. This is a fine place to raise a child, and yes, it's expensive here, and a little more crowded, but at least we have fun every weekend. We're taking our daughter to Santa Cruz Beach and Boardwalk in a few weeks. When my husband turned 18 he had never been to Disneyland, never rode in an airplane, never saw the ocean, had never been to any national parks, never went anywhere that was more than 3 hours from where he lived. But I wanted my daughter to experience all the great things that I did when I was little. So here we are. It's really hard being married to someone from somewhere different than you're from. It's a constant issue if both people want to live in different places. Trust me, I've been dealing with it for 10 years! One has to always sacrifice. Good for you for giving it a try at least. You may learn to like it after awhile. But you said you've already been there 2 years? Ugh. I'm sorry. Maybe find something you like to do, something that makes YOU happy. When I was there I drove hours to go shopping or eat somewhere decent. It was an all day ordeal, but at least it made me feel normal for a short while. The best memory I have of Iowa was sitting outside on a hot summer night (after the mosquitoes were gone) and watching the fireflies buzz around in the dark. Being a California girl, I had never seen fireflies before! So I do understand that every "place" has it's pros and cons. I guess we just have to find out what the pros are and embrace them. Good luck. Don't be sad. Being depressed is not healthy for your children. Enjoy your trip to California!!! It's going to be hot here by then, well you already know that!

Old 05-28-2008, 03:09 PM

3,306 posts, read 6,137,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnimouse View Post
Moving to Iowa has been both exciting and difficult. My husband was transferred here 2 years ago and I am really having a difficult time adjusting. The cold and lack of sunshine has really taken a toll on me making me depressed most of the time. I have never experienced depression like this. Has anyone else gone through something like this?
If you wanted to, you could go to Omaha's zoo or to Des Moines or Chicago for the day.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:26 PM

5,063 posts, read 4,430,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPerkins33 View Post
california is the reason for the lack of diesel cars in America which is a bad thing, they are far more efficient than gasoline engines.

They also have ridiculous gun control laws that don't make a lick of sense. Oh lets not forget super high taxes, fuel, housing, food and well even toilet paper costs a bunch more out there. And the big cities suck, well all big cities suck but cali's big cities are the worst.

The only good thing about cali are the national parks and my family members that live there even if they are blind to the fact that they think paying $800,000 for a 1200s.f house is worth it.
We moved to Iowa from San Jose P.R.K. in 1993 best thing we ever did! Moved 1hr north MN in 2000, still love it.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
We moved to Iowa from San Jose P.R.K. in 1993 best thing we ever did! Moved 1hr north MN in 2000, still love it.
That's because San Jose is yucky! Well it is now anyway. See, some people love their move to Iowa. It just depends on the person. It is possible to adapt to somewhere new and love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa