Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 11:49 AM

14 posts, read 44,158 times

Advertisements

Moving to Iowa has been both exciting and difficult. My husband was transferred here 2 years ago and I am really having a difficult time adjusting. The cold and lack of sunshine has really taken a toll on me making me depressed most of the time. I have never experienced depression like this. Has anyone else gone through something like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 12:35 PM

459 posts, read 2,227,788 times
Yes. If it makes you feel better, this year has been very atypical. It is not usually this cold, gray, and rainy. Normally May is a beatiful month.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:44 PM

788 posts, read 4,067,889 times
I experienced this when I lived in Arcata, CA. Rainy and gray for months on end. There were other, personal factors that contributed to my depression as well though.

I have heard on these boards somewhere that there are some kind of special lights you can use at home to help. Search for SAD, Seasonal Affective Disorder. Maybe google it too.

I am sorry you're in pain. Try to live in the moment, and look for things to be grateful for. (That's what helps me anyway).

Best of luck.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:17 PM

154 posts, read 910,094 times
Yes, I lived in Iowa for a year. I'm from Northern CA. Couldn't stand it, left boyfriend behind and came back to CA. He came shortly after, now we've been together 10 years. Still go back to Iowa visit. When I lived there it was gray, dreary, humid, cold, and honestly, the people weren't that friendly to me either. I was VERY homesick. I have lived in many different cities and states, but never experienced that much of a culture shock. Iowa was just way different, and not for me. I love visiting in the summer...for 1 week. Then I can come home and heal from all my mosquito bites. Hang in there. Everyone says you get used to it after awhile. I just didn't I guess. Sorry if this is not helping, but I just wanted you to know you are not alone. I felt the exact same way as you do. Depressed. It might be S.A.D. but maybe it's just that you don't feel like you belong there because it doesn't feel like home. That was the case for me. The bad weather just makes it seem that much worse. I know this is terrible advice, but they say going to a tanning bed for 5 minutes can actually help with the symptoms of SAD. You need sunshine girl! Can you get out of there for a weekend and go to Chicago or somewhere else fun that makes you feel more alive? That helped me too. I went to Chicago for a couple days it actually made me feel much better, for a short while. Try it, it can't hurt!

Old 05-27-2008, 04:30 PM

49 posts, read 181,396 times
I feel for ya.......and this winter was unbearably long...... if it helps, we're all still longing for the sunshine. it's hard to do, after two long years, but just hang in there....and look on the bright side...somewhere

where did you move? are you near any metropolitan area, or on a farm in the middle of nowhere? --makes a big difference.... even just talking about it, i hope you feel better.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:35 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,122,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnimouse View Post
Moving to Iowa has been both exciting and difficult. My husband was transferred here 2 years ago and I am really having a difficult time adjusting. The cold and lack of sunshine has really taken a toll on me making me depressed most of the time. I have never experienced depression like this. Has anyone else gone through something like this?
Yeah I'd be depressed too if I moved from a place like California to IOWA. Why may I ask did you do that? And where in the state do you live? If you are in a deserted area it can get pretty depressing if you are single and alone.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:37 PM

196 posts, read 776,557 times
This is definitely not the sunbelt here. I guess there are trade offs like less traffic, less crowding than cities in sunnier climates.

I don't know where you live in Iowa, but you'll find the western part of the state slightly sunnier than the east. Also, if you can get away, you'll find central and western Nebraska more of a sunny and arid climate. Although you wouldn't find a lot to do there.

Also you might try exercise or getting absorbed in a hobby, keeps your mind off of the dreary Iowa climate. It is hard for someone who has lived out west in the sun, it was the same for me.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:36 PM

14 posts, read 44,158 times
Thanks for all the advice. I currently live in the SE corner of Iowa out in the country near Muscatine. I'm 30 miles from Iowa City and 35 from the Quad Cities. It's pretty here, but also a bit boring. Their doesn't seem to be many people out here that are not from this area. Most people have their entire families within a 20 mile radius and hang out with mainly their family members..not much room for friends. I moved here because my husband was transfered and he had been telling me for years how much he loved growing up in Iowa. Since we have children I thought it was worth a try and now he won't acknowledge that I am truly suffering from depression. He's says were staying and I'm just trying to cope since I really miss my family.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:54 PM

310 posts, read 1,282,216 times
this spring has been the worst I have experienced since '93, but I'd still take it over the communist...I mean republic, err state of California.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:07 AM

1 posts, read 4,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPerkins33 View Post
this spring has been the worst I have experienced since '93, but I'd still take it over the communist...I mean republic, err state of California.
Yup, I can see why someone might be depressed moving to Iowa. I'm not referring to the weather. The "republic" of California indeed. Don't look now, your state's turning blue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa