U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-04-2008, 08:10 AM

3 posts, read 3,148 times
Default planning to move to medium size city in iowa

Good Day everyone,
Yup that's right I am planning to from from the crowded, over price, traffic jam city of Seattle within the a year. I will be on vacation in that area. I am however a Dubuque native and the service kept out in the west coast for some time. Anyway I am a Desktop Technical support technician and trying to find out what major medium size city like davenport, or cedar rapids, somewhere in the tri-cities would have opportunities in this fied. I know i pay would be less (true) but the cost of living an apartment rental would be resonable. Seattle area is nice but very very EXPENSIVE for everything.So people think iam crazy for thinking this but i do miss the midwest people and the enviroment can't beat it. So.. any ideas thanks Mr Tilly
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 10:18 AM

3,298 posts, read 5,924,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthies View Post
Good Day everyone,
Yup that's right I am planning to from from the crowded, over price, traffic jam city of Seattle within the a year. I will be on vacation in that area. I am however a Dubuque native and the service kept out in the west coast for some time. Anyway I am a Desktop Technical support technician and trying to find out what major medium size city like davenport, or cedar rapids, somewhere in the tri-cities would have opportunities in this fied. I know i pay would be less (true) but the cost of living an apartment rental would be resonable. Seattle area is nice but very very EXPENSIVE for everything.So people think iam crazy for thinking this but i do miss the midwest people and the enviroment can't beat it. So.. any ideas thanks Mr Tilly
You could always try Council Bluffs and work in Omaha, plus Council Bluffs is getting a google data center.

Otherwise, try Cedar Rapids, Davenport is a bit of a rust belt city.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:47 PM

46 posts, read 65,651 times
Find a job first, then choose an area. The cost of living is insanely cheap, so what may sound like a total rip-off salary is going to reasonable.

Davenport is nice, but not really techie. Iowa City may have jobs with the university and Des Moines usually has some tech jobs floating about.

Best of luck with your search!

Old 06-04-2008, 01:20 PM

12 posts, read 50,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthies View Post
Good Day everyone,
I think Iowa City , Is a great place to live for anyone. As well as coralville,Ia, which is not very far from Iowa City.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:22 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,868,849 times
Default ..

First, let's ask the questions..

1. About what size of a city with what type of amendities do you consider a mid-size city?

2. What are the goodies that you must have?

I'll let you know first-hand though that Des Moines and the Council Bluffs-Omaha area are very well known and respected mid-sized cities (with Lincoln just a stone's throw away, Omaha may be considered a large city)...

In Iowa, Des Moines has the 'it' of a progressive, cosmopolitan, upscale lifestyle... When I make a recommendation of what cities have the best quality of life, I always include Des Moines, because like Omaha Des Moines knows what it takes and they get their hands dirty and get it done!!

With that said, I will recommend the metropolitan area of Des Moines as being a GREAT city to live in

Old 06-04-2008, 03:20 PM

2,785 posts, read 3,515,502 times
If it's been years since you've lived in Dubuque I'd suggest trying it again. They are expanding their industrial base and retail stores. I knew a few people working in IT in Dubuque; you could no doubt find a job in that field after some looking.

If not try CR. There are a lot of high tech companies here that keep the demand up for technical people.

Davenport probably has something too, just because of its raw size.

You might want to consider Madison or CHicago suburbs; tons of IT in those areas. The cost of living in Chciagoland is probably cheaper than Seatle.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:10 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,727,073 times
Yeah....Dubuque has a lot going on right now. You might want to consider your old hometown.

Also as others indicated -- consider Des Moines and the Council Bluffs/Omaha area. Coming from Seattle, I assume you'd consider these small-to-mid sized cities. A ton going on in both of these metro's and they are regularily represented in various publications on their "best places to live" lists.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:35 AM

204 posts, read 674,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilay View Post
Davenport is nice, but not really techie.
Yeah...there are no tech jobs in Davenport.

eServ just built a 32,000 sq. foot office in Davenport, which only employs 300+ people at an average salary of just $61,000. How lame.

The Rock Island Arsenal has a measly six-story US Department of Defense computer megacenter...and we all know how lousy government jobs pay, right?

...And of course John Deere employs thousands of white-collar workers at their world headquarters just across the river in Moline. But, they're probably not using computers or IT equipment of any sort in those offices...so they probably have no technology positions available ever.

</sarcasm>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa