Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 07:39 AM

18 posts, read 66,261 times

Advertisements

Hello Iowans,
My hubby is being wooed by a company in Sioux City. We now live in the suburbs of Philadelphia. Just looking for thoughts and impressions from you all. Clearly, our dollar will go further in SC than in this area which is very expensive. Looking for advice on nice area's to live and good schools for my 3 boys. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 04:53 AM

18 posts, read 66,261 times
anyone?

Old 07-14-2008, 07:24 AM

1,821 posts, read 5,130,126 times
I'm suprised that you haven't got a reply yet. Sioux City isn't a city that isn't on many peoples good list, but I have heard that living on the South Dakota side, in Dakota Dunes is the most preferred place to be. I really don't know the city that well, have you looked at other threads?

Old 07-14-2008, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 5,121 times
I lived in Sioux City 3 years ago moved to Kansas City and am now moving back. My husband will tell you (since he has lived here all his life) not to live on the west side-because it is all low income hispanics and is somewhat run down in most areas, the north side is really nice but they have hidden drug issues-teenagers are the worst in it there, the east side has the best potential because not much crime but the housing is nowhere near grand. There are some suburbs outside of town like Lawton, Moville, Sargeant Bluff, etc. that are really nice quiet areas with great housing but you will drive about 5-15 miles to get to the city. They seem to think that is alot but I think that is a drive to get coffee! Sioux City is having a housing issue you should consider though. I talked to a realtor who said that a lot of people in the $50-110k range are losing their homes due to job loss or money loss and what not. It is a good time to buy if you have a good paying permanent job. But if you are not sure how it will work out I would be careful! Renting around here goes fast. We are trying to rent because my husband is going to start a contracting business and dont know how much he will be making. Homes dont last in the east side more than a few days (2-5) so if you are looking to rent in the east side you have to act fast. Also the east side is by the biggest shopping boom area. A "big" shopping area has recently been added and has updated the city tremendously. Up til then I dont think they had even heard of a Starbucks! Just kidding! So what ever you want to do its not a bad place to live. It is an hour to 2 other major cities Omaha, NE and Sioux Falls, SD.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:34 PM

337 posts, read 1,522,579 times
I think you may end up enjoying the move - however brace yourself for a BIG change. (a given) Northwest Iowa is going to be completely different than the Philadelphia area considering Sioux City's history as a "cow town" ... if you don't want to live right in Sioux City, another area to consider known as Dakota Dunes is just across the border in South Dakota. I've heard many good things about this new community.

Good Luck!!

Old 07-20-2008, 03:05 PM

70 posts, read 272,479 times
I lived in Sioux City for 20+ years. I would say checkout Singing Hills Neighborhood on the South East side near the Southern Hills Mall and Lakeport Commons.

Be sure you look at Whispering Creek neighborhood.
Whispering Creek :: Real Estate

Also Checkout the Northside near North Highschool.

Dakota Dunes is nice, but is also a "planned community" It is fairly far from shopping considering Sioux City's size.

If I were to move back it would be Whispering Creek, Singing Hills, or the Northside.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:37 AM

40 posts, read 113,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smydovro View Post
Hello Iowans,
My hubby is being wooed by a company in Sioux City. We now live in the suburbs of Philadelphia. Just looking for thoughts and impressions from you all. Clearly, our dollar will go further in SC than in this area which is very expensive. Looking for advice on nice area's to live and good schools for my 3 boys. Thank you in advance.
I am originally from Sioux City,IA. I grew up there and graduated from Lawton-Bronson excellent school by the way! A mid-western education is second to none so be assured your children will get the very best! I personally like Elk Point,SD. Small, GREAT "community vibe", very patriotic all amerian town! Lots of parks and bike trails through out the town. Fourth of July is incredible! The great people of Elk Point,SD celebrate our freedom for about 2 weeks! The school in Elk Point is AWESOME!!!! My husband took a job in North Carolina where he is from, so we moved.... We still miss Elk Point ALOT! Wish we could find an Elk Point here in NC! That being said, any town in Iowa or South Dakota is going to be ALOT different than Philly! The mid west is farm country, people make a living working hard! And that shows....no crime, people are friendly and helpful! Also you did not mention what state your husband will be working. Sioux City is a tri-state area Sioux City in Iowa - South Sioux City in Nebraska- North Sioux City in South Dakota. If you live and work in South Dakota you are exempt from state income tax. At all costs avoid South Sioux City unless you are an illegal immigrant from a southern region!! Let me know if you need anymore info...glad to help. Check out schools at www.schoolmatters.com

Old 11-26-2008, 04:15 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,872,387 times
Sioux City has very low unemplyment and was recently rated top 25 for jobs and top ten in economic growth. It's not as bad as people make it sound. It's going through an awkward stage but ten years from now it's reputation should be much better.

CNN money magazine and career builder were the sources for those rankings I believe.

Old 11-28-2008, 02:28 PM

70 posts, read 272,479 times
Elk Point, SD will be very close to the proposed oil refinery, so I would steer clear of that town.
Elk Point Gorilla Project Information and News

Old 02-11-2009, 02:06 PM

135 posts, read 546,192 times
The Country Club district is also very nice. It is on the North side west of Hamilton and 38th or so. Also, there are some nice homes in the immediate vicinity of Grandview Park--some with intersting architecture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of: