U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 10:37 AM

792 posts, read 1,577,653 times

Advertisements

Good Day,

My husband & I are looking to relocate, and I came across some information on the Decorah, Calmar, IA area....Winneshiek, county.

The area seems very nice. Very 'quaint'. I would imagine the architecture to be incredible. As well as the countryside....

Are there any natives here, or does anyone here know of Calmar, IA? Are the people nice, or do they frown on 'outsiders'?

I'd just like to hear about Calmar, and what the people are like. Please, if anyone could share what they know, I'd be very grateful.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 10:38 PM

13 posts, read 63,046 times
I grew up in NE Iowa and attended NICC in Calmar for 2 years. My sister lives in Ossian just east of Calmar and also works at NICC. The area is absolutely beautiful and very warm to new people. You will not be dissappointed in your decision if you move there. Everyone is so friendly and just a nice place to live.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:57 AM

Smile Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowastate View Post
I grew up in NE Iowa and attended NICC in Calmar for 2 years. My sister lives in Ossian just east of Calmar and also works at NICC. The area is absolutely beautiful and very warm to new people. You will not be dissappointed in your decision if you move there. Everyone is so friendly and just a nice place to live.
Iowastate,

Thank you so much for responding to my post. I appreciate your input.

What areas would you say most people go to work? What would be the average commute time? And how much snow & Ice do they get? I know it gets VERY COLD, but are the roads still driveable?

Anything else you can comment on? Anyone else at all?

Again, I really appreciate your time and willingness to share. It looks that because Calmar is so small, it's hard to find much information on it.

Best Regards,
Boof

Old 02-06-2007, 11:08 PM

Most of the people living in Calmar will work in Decorah and the college. It is about a 15-20 min. drive at the most. They do get measurable snow, I think today they got 3 inches and on occassion ice. We typically dont get alot of ice storms though, and the road crews are pretty good. The town is just the right size I think with several businesses. Their are lots of smaller towns nearby that if you need to drive it is a short one. It is just a beautiful area and again wonderful, friendly people. If you google calmar, iowa it will bring some neat websites up for you to see. Otherwise make a trip to visit and you wont be disappointed, making sure you also visit Decorah.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Most of the people living in Calmar will work in Decorah and the college. It is about a 15-20 min. drive at the most. They do get measurable snow, I think today they got 3 inches and on occassion ice. We typically dont get alot of ice storms though, and the road crews are pretty good. The town is just the right size I think with several businesses. Their are lots of smaller towns nearby that if you need to drive it is a short one. It is just a beautiful area and again wonderful, friendly people. If you google calmar, iowa it will bring some neat websites up for you to see. Otherwise make a trip to visit and you wont be disappointed, making sure you also visit Decorah.
Hi Iowastate,

15-20 mins. isn't that bad of a drive. I would imagine that Traffic is a non-issue? Heck, it takes that long just to go a few miles in town, here.

Nice to hear your snow storms are infrequent and not too bad. It looks like we'll have to sharpen our snow driving skills tho. I've seen shows where they show people going all over the road and into each other, so it scares me a bit to drive in it. Do you get used to it?

We've found some nice old houses in the area, and we'd love to come for a visit. I'm very encouraged & excited by your input about the area, it's people and beauty. It's a bummer that we're so far away. Guess we'll just have to save up for a quick trip.

From what I've read, the area has Organic Farming and Farmer's Markets. Is this correct? The area we're in is getting better, but it'd sure be a nice bonus if it were more available. Also, are there many Health Food Stores in the area?

Thanks again for your kindness and help,
Boof

Last edited by Boof; 02-10-2007 at 11:44 AM..

Old 02-10-2007, 04:44 PM

Where are you currently living? The drive and the traffic would not be in issue at all. The winter driving does take time to adjust and learn in, but it is not bad at all. You just drive slower and take your time, like I said the road crews keep on them. If it is that bad, you just delay yourself awhile that is all. In Decorah, by Luther College there is Seed Savers. You can look them up online too, pretty neat. There are organic farms starting to pop up more, I also know that Decorah does have some Health food stores. You are also not that far away from the Amish community by Lanesboro and Harmony. Now that is also extremely beautiful area. I absolutely LOVE that area. Their is also a nice drive to Hazelton, by Oelwein for the Amish too. I have several amish friends there. My family visits often to buy bulk foods there. Decorah and Calmar has some really nice homes. Hope you can visit there and call it home someday. I know I cant wait to make it my home again.

Old 02-10-2007, 07:15 PM

Iowastate,

I currently live in the Central Valley of CA. Between Modesto & Stockton. It's pretty crowded here, so it'll be nice to settle in an area where we can slow down a bit.

It's nice to hear there are some health food stores around. I'd much rather support local businesses than to have to order my supplements online.

As for the Amish communities nearby, that's exciting. I've never been to Amish country, but my mother has, and she said it was just beautiful. I like the fact that everything is hand made. They are well known for their quality and workmanship.

Somebody else mentioned how nice Decorah was. I can't wait to visit there as well.

You say that you can't wait to make that area your home again. Where are you currently residing, and what is keeping you from moving back? Just curious.

Thanks again. Hope you are enjoying your weekend.

Boof

Old 02-10-2007, 10:59 PM

My husband was transferred last March to Arizona for his work. We decided to move here while our son is little and it was to be for 2-4 years. This is the first time we have lived outside of Iowa. The companies plans have changed and they are moving us back to the midwest(dont know where yet) in the next couple of months. Both of our parents are farmers mine still dairy farm in Iowa. My husband wants to remain working for the company for awhile yet but we do want to return to the NE sector of IA someday.

Yes, the Amish are very talented people. We have bought alot of furniture from them.

It will be a change for you, it is alot slower than CA. In fact, in my hometown of Elkader a lady from CA moved and opened up a Treat shop. Its like an icecream shop. She visited some friends there and fell in love with the town. If you need any help or have any questions dont be afraid to ask. Have a good night!!

Old 02-11-2007, 06:16 PM

Talking You Are Too Kind

Quote:
My husband was transferred last March to Arizona for his work.....This is the first time we have lived outside of Iowa. The companies plans have changed and they are moving us back to the midwest(dont know where yet) in the next couple of months....but we do want to return to the NE sector of IA someday.

It will be a change for you, it is alot slower than CA. In fact, in my hometown of Elkader a lady from CA moved and opened up a Treat shop. Its like an icecream shop. She visited some friends there and fell in love with the town. If you need any help or have any questions dont be afraid to ask. Have a good night!!
Iowastate,

You are too kind. I truly appreciate all the help and guidance you've given me. If there are any more questions that come to mind, I will be sure to ask.

As for the lady that opened the Treat Shop, I'm hoping that we can do the same. Go there....Fall in love....and open our own business. Not sure what that would be till we get there and find out what the area might be in need of. But it's always been a dream of ours.

You have my sincere best wishes for your future. I will keep you in my prayers that you are able to settle back in IA as soon as possible.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend,
Boof

Old 02-12-2007, 11:27 AM

Thank you for the kind words, i love to help people out. If you visit the Decorah area, my aunt owns a Floral and Gift shop there. It is called Country Gardens and right on main street. It is a wonderful store with lots to choose from. Hope you can make a trip and experience the area. Have a good week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of: