Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Grinnell Vs. Newton?
Grinnell 15 57.69%
Newton 11 42.31%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 02:20 PM

26 posts, read 142,868 times

Advertisements

I'm curious what people think of these two towns. They are neighbors, being only 18 miles apart. Newton is a little bigger at around 15,000 people and Grinnell is around 10,000.
We will start with the pros:
Both cities are right on the Interstate 80. Both cities have a supercenter wal-mart (both close to the Interstate). Both are large enough where your neighbors don't know your business, yet small enough that their isn't much crime. Numerous chain hotels at both locations.

Grinnell:
Grinnell College, which has been there since 1846 and is a major plus for employment and finances to the city. It really puts Grinnell on the map.
4 grocery stores (which is a lot for a town that size). 10-15 factories that employ thousands of people. Lots of construction happening in Grinnell; a new library and plans in the works for a new fire/police station and water park, as well as continuing improvements in the college. Numerous parks. Community college branch from Marshalltown. Nice-sized hospital and depts you wouldn't normally find in a town this size. Three senior homes that have substantially added to the town's size.

Newton:
Community college branch from DMACC. Nice-sized hospital for a town that size. Iowa Speedway built on the Interstate a few years back. Cheap to rent or build a house or business. Close to Des Moines (30 miles). Two exits to Newton, making for easier access to the town. The only drive-in in Iowa that I know still exists.

Cons:
Grinnell:
Grinnell land is so expensive that many businesses don't build there, not enough resturant diversity. Many empty lots available. 51 miles to Des Moines, 65 to Iowa City. One interstate exit.

Newton:
Maytag closed, thousands of jobs lost. Speedway and turbine factory are not enough to replace these jobs. Not as much cultural diversity as Grinnell. Old, outdated city park system.

Your opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 07:20 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,581,045 times
Both nice, small towns. The land is probably so expensive because of the quality of the land.

Great little towns. I remember stopping at the Mcdonalds in Grinnell as a young child, on our way to Davenport. I don't remember much about it, but I do remember it being a unique Mcdonalds.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:40 AM

Thanks for responding, but McDonalds is in the heart of Grinnell (about 3 miles off the interstate) and has only been there about ten years.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:16 PM

74 posts, read 244,259 times
Did the maytag plant in Newton have "thousands of jobs"? I thought it was about 600 workers that lost their job when the factory closed from what I read in the news.

All I know about Grinnell is that I applied at the high school and the principal mentioned that the Athletics Director sits in on the interviews--which is a sign that it is the sort of school that is dominated by sports interests over academic interests (aka hire the person who can also coach rather than the person who is the best teacher). I canceled the interview because thats the sort of small town school I was leaving.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:03 AM

Default Yes, more than 600

In response, I recently saw a news coverage, and it said 1,800 jobs lost. So almost 2,000, maybe not "thousands" but much more than 600. Their economy is trying to recover, but hasn't quite made it yet.
I am from Grinnell, and I find that story about your interview interesting. We do have high standards for education here, but that doesn't surprise me. I would imagine most schools highly value sports. Why didn't you try either colleges for a job? Grinnell College has A LOT of money.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:51 PM

5 posts, read 34,212 times
I live in Newton and I love it, grinnell is just too old world east to me, like a washington d.c. wanna be. I just could not feel at home there. My daughter loves her school, I personally like the parks, my kids love to play at them too, when everything looks new how can a place have an established look? It also took them about 6-7 years to finish laying off all 2,600 workers (whirlpool did call back 50 engineers and such, they work at an old car dealership near walmart or did anyways) People ARE in your business alot, but that is not such a bad thing, then there is always someone watching out for home and stuff when you aren't there. This is the first place I have felt like I was home, enough that after never buying a house I bought 2.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:56 PM

Default Not really agreeing with you, but that's okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretegold View Post
I live in Newton and I love it, grinnell is just too old world east to me, like a washington d.c. wanna be. I just could not feel at home there. My daughter loves her school, I personally like the parks, my kids love to play at them too, when everything looks new how can a place have an established look? It also took them about 6-7 years to finish laying off all 2,600 workers (whirlpool did call back 50 engineers and such, they work at an old car dealership near walmart or did anyways) People ARE in your business alot, but that is not such a bad thing, then there is always someone watching out for home and stuff when you aren't there. This is the first place I have felt like I was home, enough that after never buying a house I bought 2.

Not sure what you mean by Washington D.C. wanna be. It's a college town with considerable money, but not exactly Beverly Hills, you know? somewhat isolated, but self-sufficent. I think it has more history than Newton, (besides Maytag of course, but they lost that) and that the people are more proud of it.
Newton is slightly bigger than Grinnell, and I would think it would be similar ( I don;t even know most of my neighbors). Maybe you just have nosy neighbors? LOL!
With the recent addition of (depends who you ask) 100-300 more jobs with the turbine plant, they are going well to recover from the loss of Maytag, but I am sure the factory workers are heading to grinnell and Pella and Marshalltown to make up the difference.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:10 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,124,581 times
My aunt lived in Grinnell for years, I worked there for a summer back in 1994 while I was senior in HS. She owned the Best Western before she passed away. I also worked at Sumner Photography that summer. I thought Grinnell was a quaint, nice town with a beautiful small college.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:13 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Anyone know if the stadium seating manufacture and the sport clothing company are still in Grinnell? I lived there in the mid 1980's for a short time.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:50 PM

Your aunt must have been married to Reggie Campbell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa