Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 04:14 PM

19 posts, read 101,441 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering a job in Cedar Rapids. If we move there, he wants to live in Iowa City. What would his commute be like (it looks like he'd be working in the center of Cedar Rapids)? Would it be just awful in the winter when it snows?

Thank you for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 04:47 PM

3 posts, read 15,168 times
It's about a 30-40 min drive without the snow. It's not a terrible drive but with gas prices, could be costly.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:07 PM

5 posts, read 28,983 times
Obviously it depends how close you are to Interstate 80 in Iowa City, but after you merge onto I-380, it will take like 20 minutes to get to downtown Cedar Rapids. It's a very easy drive, but like MsIowa said, with gas prices it may be costly depending on what you are used to.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:01 PM

124 posts, read 501,863 times
I.C. to C.R. in the morning is better than C.R. to I.C. You're looking at about a 40 minute drive.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:46 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,122,630 times
Where are you guys getting this 40min. stuff? Even if trafic only moves at 60mph it is only 20 miles from downtown CR to I-80. Then it just depends where you're going in IC.

Traffic will move slower when it's snowing. Anywhere from 30-55mph until they get it salted.

I would worry more about where in IC to live. That is where all your time will be eaten up - negotiating city traffic.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:25 PM

74 posts, read 244,259 times
Yeah especially since the roads in Iowa City tend to be lower speed limit due to higher bicycle and pedestrian traffic. My mother in law commuted from CR to IC for almost 20 years and absolutely hated it. Although anyone who is used to hardcore commuting would probably find it a really easy drive. I "commute" from one corner of CR to the other and it takes me about 25 min to go 12 miles no matter what route I take. Driving to IC would almost be preferable because its so easy. But I have driven the IC to CR route when there is lots of fresh ice and snow and the problem is not the road itself. Its flat and straight mostly but the fact that there is consistently so much traffic on that road combined with the ice makes it stressful no matter what speed you're going.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:46 AM

681 posts, read 3,035,613 times
I'm not a regular commuter, but when I go up to CR I usually plan for it to be about a 30 min drive.

Of course, as Roy and ZZ have said--the city driving is where it all shakes out. For example, if your route takes you into the hospital traffic--that's going to add time. Burlington St. around rush hour can get a little backed up...same for Hwy. 6 in Coralville. All things to consider.

I imagine the DOT takes pretty good care of 380 during the storms, but it seems like one hears on the news a lot about accidents (especially around the Cedar Rapids part of the trip) causing backups a lot--winter weather or not.

If you settled on North Liberty, you could shave 10 miles off the trip and still be in the Iowa City area.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:17 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
I lived in downtown Iowa City and dated someone in the middle of Cedar Rapids. It was always almost exactly 30 minutes.

If you live up near northern Coralville though or North Liberty you're only going to be 15 miles or so, and can get there in 20 minutes or so.

I thought it was probably about as easy a commute as you can find in the country. Straight shot on I-380 right into downtown Cedar Rapids. Shoot out Dubuque or Melrose Ave in Iowa City towards 380.

It's bad in the winter when it snows, but in MOST winters (obviously not last winter) it only snows maybe 5 times where it affects your commute, and then it's normally just for one day. They always plow it off right away when it's finished snowing. Just depends.

I would advise looking for something maybe in Northern Coralville off 12th Ave or out towards Holiday Road and Highway 965. Or else if you don't need to be THAT close to Iowa City, you can look in North Liberty and be within a very quick commute of either CR or IC.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:09 PM

114 posts, read 486,288 times
consider carpooling (saves on gas) and the commute is no that bad. I drove it for years, heck I can still drive it in my sleep. takes about 20 minutes, even on a bad day. traffic doesn't go below 65 half the time, I have gone at every single time of the day

Old 09-12-2008, 09:19 AM

46 posts, read 134,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debclark View Post
My husband is considering a job in Cedar Rapids. If we move there, he wants to live in Iowa City. What would his commute be like (it looks like he'd be working in the center of Cedar Rapids)? Would it be just awful in the winter when it snows?

Thank you for any advice!
Consider living between Cedar Rapids and Iowa City. I hate Iowa City for traffic - try North Liberty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa