Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 05:47 PM

562 posts, read 660,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
really? the white persons I have spoken with have tried the meatpacking plant not far from here and they won't do that kind of work. They quit almost as fast as they started.
They would do the work if the company was forced to pay more. With CHEAP illegal hands nearby, what is forcing them to PAY a decent wage? That's a BIG problem with this country right now. Too many illegals doing stuff for DIRT CHEAP, undercutting what a job is really worth for a man to feed his family. Ever notice how a man cannot support a family anymore on average by himself? Used to be the women could stay at home, keeping things nice, raising the kids and the man could be out working a 9-5 steel worker job and have a house, car and kids had christmas presents over the holiday. Try that now! It's tough!

People always come back - "But white people won't do that job"... Well before the illegals came along, WHITE MEN did do those jobs, and they were paid well. Now that CHEAP LABOR is at the beck and call of a business, who needs to pay decent wages? Mexicans will work for practically nothing because it's still more than they made in Mexico!

Dumb people wake up and smell the coffee. Illegals, and OUTSOURCING to foreign countries is a downfall of our country!

Old 03-12-2007, 06:24 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Quote:
really? the white persons I have spoken with have tried the meatpacking plant not far from here and they won't do that kind of work. They quit almost as fast as they started.
That's odd because we had a meatpacking plant in the town I live in for years and it unfortunately closed not long ago. It was staffed by white legal Americans and by Sioux legal Americans. They offered them a living wage and benies so they had no problem working there.

Torrey, I couldn't agree with you more. The only thing I've seen is that the illegals don't need health insurance or life insurance because they are free to have the county take care of both. Also, they live 20 to one house so their share of the expenses are pretty low. The only problem is that after three or four years they leave and the owner of the house ends up having to burn it down because it's totally uninhabitable.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:30 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,152,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
People always come back - "But white people won't do that job"... Well before the illegals came along, WHITE MEN did do those jobs, and they were paid well. Now that CHEAP LABOR is at the beck and call of a business, who needs to pay decent wages? Mexicans will work for practically nothing because it's still more than they made in Mexico!

Dumb people wake up and smell the coffee. Illegals, and OUTSOURCING to foreign countries is a downfall of our country!
guess you're right. the Irish immigrants had to work those jobs at the Chicago Stockyards at one time and live in shanties.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:33 PM

562 posts, read 660,145 times
Quote:
guess you're right. the Irish immigrants had to work those jobs at the Chicago Stockyards at one time and live in shanties.
At least they did it LEGALLY. You're barking up the wrong tree with that about the Irish, as I am HALF Irish. My moms family came over from Ireland, LEGALLY.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:28 PM

I don't know how legally they did it. Many of the shanties they set up off South Ashland Avenue by the Chicago Stockyards probably didn't meet city health or building code standards. It wasn't easy being an Irish immigrant back in those days, legal or illegal. Brits, Germans, Danes, Norwegians and Swedes were much more respectable and better regarded.

P.S. I love the Irish because I am part Irish too!!!!

Old 03-15-2007, 11:34 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,199,177 times
Well the Germans did suffer some persecution in the US during the first World War.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:42 AM

I believe Germans also suffered persecution during WW II, albeit probably not to the extent Japanese Americans did.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:55 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,199,177 times
True, but I do have to take off my hat to German Americans in the fact that they fully supported America in both World Wars!

Old 03-16-2007, 02:35 PM

Most of the Japanese Americans also did during WW II but that didn't stop the US government from throwing about 120,000 of them into various internment camps on the West Coast.

Old 03-16-2007, 02:53 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,657 times
This is the Iowa forum. Please stay on topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa