U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-19-2008, 10:20 AM

22 posts, read 61,865 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to a small town in Iowa from California. In California, marijuana possession is slightly worse than getting a speeding ticket and if you have a doctor's prescription for it, it's legal. If not, it's about $150 fine. What are the marijuana laws in Iowa and how much do local police tend to worry about marijuana?

***Mod Note***

When replying to this thread, please remember to not post about committing illegal acts. For example, if you smoke weed don't post about it.

- El Rhino

Last edited by El Rhino; 12-19-2008 at 11:09 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 10:33 AM

3,020 posts, read 5,913,233 times
it depends how much you have on you and on the cop. but expect it to be the polar opposite of cali. when you leave your home, don't bring much on you. that is my only advice.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:51 PM

226 posts, read 672,945 times
I don't know a whole lot about Iowa law as I have only lived in Council Bluffs, but in Nebraska, up to 1 oz (28 grams) is a civil infraction with a $100 fine for the first offense (gets higher for subsequent offenses). There is no criminal charge for possession...

Within a couple of years, I believe Marijuana will be declassified as a controlled substance at the federal level (Obama already said that the war on drugs is a failure) and individual states will be allowed to determine its legality; with the economy the way it is now, Im willing to bet a number of states will legalize and tax it...

It will take a while before it gets to all the states though... And some states may never legalize (i.e. the bible belt). I think its about in the same time frame as Gay Marriage...

Old 12-19-2008, 05:42 PM

600 posts, read 644,146 times
In Iowa the first offense for possession (of any amount) is 6 months in jail and a fine of up to $1,000. You people in Nebraska sure are lucky!

Old 12-20-2008, 03:00 AM

3,283 posts, read 3,084,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
In Iowa the first offense for possession (of any amount) is 6 months in jail and a fine of up to $1,000. You people in Nebraska sure are lucky!

really? they obviously haven't got anything better to do with tax payer money than to lock up these evil dope heads who pose an untold threat to society!

Old 12-20-2008, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
really? they obviously haven't got anything better to do with tax payer money than to lock up these evil dope heads who pose an untold threat to society!
A lot of people who get caught carrying that stuff probably do intend on using it. IMO that is no worse than someone using alcohol or tobacco, which is legal as long as you're not driving, not smoking at a non smoking establishment, etc. The real big problem I see with marijuana is the drug dealers, and the only reason they cause all this trouble is because marijuana is illegal in the first place.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:47 PM

51 posts, read 138,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

Up to 6 months in jail...I know a few people who have been picked up with anywhere from a dime to an ounce and none of 'em ever went to jail.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7476 View Post
Up to 6 months in jail...I know a few people who have been picked up with anywhere from a dime to an ounce and none of 'em ever went to jail.
Oh sorry, I forgot about the "up to" part. Still is a harsh law though.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:41 AM

3,283 posts, read 3,084,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7476 View Post

that's not the point. you get caught with a dime and it's police and judiciary discretion as to whether you walk or do time. if you look into all the legislation that gets passed on a daily basis we're lucky that it's still legal to sneeze.

when our freedom depends on the mood of a police officer we need to start asking some questions

Old 12-21-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
that's not the point. you get caught with a dime and it's police and judiciary discretion as to whether you walk or do time. if you look into all the legislation that gets passed on a daily basis we're lucky that it's still legal to sneeze.

when our freedom depends on the mood of a police officer we need to start asking some questions

I misread your previous post. At the time I responded to it I didn't realize that it was sarcasm. Sorry for the misconception!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa