U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 09:14 PM

6 posts, read 45,431 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm just curious to see the general opinion of everyone here. I currently live in Cookeville, TN. I'm 23 years old, and live completely alone. I am however looking to move to the Quad Cities in the next month. Due to a job transfer to the Sam's Club in Davenport.

Originally I grew up in Illinois, in Oquawka about 25 miles from Burlington, IA. But I moved away alone at 19. My entire family still lives in the area, so it will be good to be back.

But now the tricky part comes in. I'm sitting in Cookeville, trying to find a new place to live. After moving my things from here, I will roughly have a week or more to find a new apartment before my new job wants me to start. Or be forced to drive the 59 miles a day from my parents house as I search.

Ideally I want something less than 500 a month. Something close to work, and something in an area where I can do some outdoor physical activity out of everyones way. I'm an avid powerbocker, er I use jumping stilts. Just watch this.
YouTube - Bocking To Tech

I've been looking at downtown davenport as my ideal living area. To be precise the Crescent Loft Apartments look appealing, or anything near the river front. As it appears there is a decent park near the river. Someone tells me theres a skatepark in the area too. Which I would like.

On the other hand a family member was concerned with the areas gang activity. Which me being a 23 year old single male. My definition of worry some youth behavior may be different than others. But I certainly wouldn't want to take a trip down to the park on my stilts and be shot.

Also, I recall hearing news of a flood last summer. How far in did it reach? I visited the area growing up rarely, so I can't recall the flood zones. I'd hate to rent out a place, only to have another flood ruin things.

In short, what do you think of the area? What are good affordable apartments to look at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 02:15 AM

413 posts, read 1,538,764 times
Well, that's some interesting stuff. I'll try and keep my reply to under 10,000 words, but we'll see.

Finding a place that meets your requirements in a week is going to be tough, but hopefully doable.

First of all, while we do have a problem with people who seem to like to shoot at each other, they don't shoot random people on stilts. I could see everyone from gang members to grandmas stopping you and asking what in the world you're doing, but not shooting you. Our crime is almost entirely between people who know each other, so as long as you don't start hanging out with drug dealers and such you should be ok.

I also wouldn't worry much about the floods. I don't believe any apartment buildings anywhere in Davenport were affected, and certainly not the Crescent Warehouse Disctrict. The only things flooded during this past summer's bad flood were the riverfront parks, some roads and parking lots, a public restroom, and a hotdog stand. Not too much to worry about.

Living downtown is great, and living in the Crescent Lofts is a great option. I used to live there. But it will depend on your income whether this is possible for anywhere near $500. Here's the website, which you may have already seen. Two thirds of the apartments are limited to people making below a certain income, (somewhere in the mid $20,000s, I believe) and for those the 1 bedroom units may be in the $500's. If you make more than the required income, the rent is quite expensive. For 2 bedroom units with a decent view, over $1000. They're great, the view is great, the architecture is great, the manager is probably the best property manager in the Quad Cities, but they ain't cheap. A lot of people show up at the office hoping to get a place for $550, and then when they find out that they make too much money, get angry. Its just the way the tax credits used to finance the construction work.

Anyway, if you DO fall in the "moderate income" price range, you should call right away. They do background and credit checks, so I'm not sure how long it takes to make it through the process. My experience was different because it was still under construction when I was moving in. If you make less than the $24,000 a year or whatever the limit is these days, there are 2 more options downtown. One is the Mississippi Lofts, which are in the former Mississippi Hotel right in the heart of downtown (the safest area). The other is still under construction, but should be opening soon, and that's the RiverWalk Lofts. Neither of them have websites that I know of, but I put some pictures of each at the bottom of my post, along with some of the Crescent District. They are virtually entirely income-limited apartments. There are a ton of smallert apartment buildings downtown that aren't limited, but you'll just have to do some walking to check those out.

None of the places are what I would call close to Sams, but its only 5 miles according to Google Maps, and about a 10-15 minute drive. The great thing is that there are several parks and recreation paths along the river for your stilt jumping. If I see someone doing that this Spring, maybe I'll stop and say hi.

If none of this is going to work for you, I can throw in my 2 cents about non-downtown apartments also. Let me know if all this info helps.

Here are some pictures of the Crescent Lofts Disctirct. It currently includes 3 buildings run by the same company.
These first few at of the Crescent Macaroni building.

This was my place, and my view. I miss it, but it was time to give up the bachelor pad. The cement plant in the foreground of the 2nd picture has since been torn down.

These are the 4th Street Lofts building.

The Mississippi Lofts. This is an old picture from when they were renovating the building, but I can't seem to find a current exterior shot in my collection.

The still-under-renovation RiverWalk Lofts, formerly the Salvation Army building, during the Holiday Balloon Parade. I believe the upper 2 floors have river views, and the Freight House Farmer's market is across the street, along with the entertainment options in the Freight House (http://www.qcfreighthouse.com/ - broken link), including a piano bar, restaurant, sports bar, and comedy club. Plus you'd have a good view of parades.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:44 AM

That is much appreciated it's good to hear from someone that lived where I'm looking at. I should fall in that income range. Unless I'm somehow making more money than even I know of. But I had actually pictured the crime was just between people in the area. I won't be associating with those types. So I shouldn't have to worry. As long as there isn't a string of random shootings or something then I'm cool to live there.

Those pictures look great. It's good to see more of the Mississippi lofts. I saw an ad for those, but couldn't find any decent pictures.

As for stopping me to talk while I'm out on my stilts. Go right ahead, I'm friendly and always willing to explain the sport.

But if you have any good recommendations for other places closer to Sam's, or just in the region I'll be happy to hear it. It'll really help when I start looking in person.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:36 PM

51 posts, read 192,639 times
The bike paths in the Quad Cities are pretty badass for outdoor types. There are some apt's along different parts of the bike path in both Bettendorf and Davenport, and with Sams Club being near the Bett/Dav border I'd look in both cities.
Bettendorf typically is a bit more expensive but not by too much if you're renting. I live in Bett, less than a mile from Sams Club and about a block away from the bike path.
I'm in no hurry to live in downtown Dav as there isn't much down there and it's pretty ghetto (But not unsafe, just run down).
If you think of Dav. and Bett. as one big town (they over lap each other) Sams Club is right in the middle so no matter where you live it won't be more than a 20 minute drive in the worst traffic.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:46 PM

Thanks, I'll be sure to keep bettendorf in mind.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:39 PM

204 posts, read 920,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7476 View Post
There are some apt's along different parts of the bike path in both Bettendorf and Davenport, and with Sams Club being near the Bett/Dav border I'd look in both cities.
Kimberly Club Apartments are right along the Duck Creek Bike Path and are about one-half mile south of Sam's Club down Elmore Avenue. I don't know if those are below the $500-mark, but I imagine a 1BR is close to that range.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:23 AM

Well I've so far had horrible luck in reaching crescent lofts. I call, no answer. I leave a message. They call at odd times usually when I'm working, and leave a message. I call back, no answer, leave a message. Repeat.

Fairly frustrating.

I'm currently trying to find other places.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:36 PM

337 posts, read 1,384,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDvandalDJ View Post
Well I've so far had horrible luck in reaching crescent lofts. I call, no answer. I leave a message. They call at odd times usually when I'm working, and leave a message. I call back, no answer, leave a message. Repeat.

Fairly frustrating.

I'm currently trying to find other places.
That's when you say hey answer ur damn phone if you want my money - I hate apartment searching when people don't know how to run a business.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:19 PM

413 posts, read 1,538,764 times
The management at the Crescent Lofts is great, and certainly know how to run a business. They are just frequently out of the office showing people apartments, so you have to leave a message. Of course they call during business hours, because that's when the property manager works... I would just keep trying to catch her in the office.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:31 AM

2,796 posts, read 5,480,332 times
Wow, those are nice places. Maybe a stupid question, but what is the difference between a loft and an apartment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or