U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2009, 11:38 AM

1,744 posts, read 6,465,151 times

Advertisements

There's also Ledges State Park in Boone, which is kind of cool.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 01:17 PM

337 posts, read 1,355,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
It's like a ride thru the Ozarks.
However, a big difference is the Loess Hills are prairie covered while the Ozarks are heavily forested.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:45 PM

2,515 posts, read 2,856,002 times
Yes, from the road you don't see alot of woods but there are some wooded areas. At the Little Sioux boy scout area there is some of the best to see, you need to get permission first, lots of trails to explore.

Many outlanders have been lost in the Loess Hills looking for the hidden town of the childern of the corn. Outlanders should beware that the devil will reap your soul if you should intrude at harvest time. (remembering the scene from the movie, when the beast was burned in the corn field was filmed near Hornick, the rest was shot at Whiting, Sloan, Salix and Sgt Bluff near the hills). Just kidding.....the loess people are nice.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Yes, from the road you don't see alot of woods but there are some wooded areas. At the Little Sioux boy scout area there is some of the best to see, you need to get permission first, lots of trails to explore.

Many outlanders have been lost in the Loess Hills looking for the hidden town of the childern of the corn. Outlanders should beware that the devil will reap your soul if you should intrude at harvest time. (remembering the scene from the movie, when the beast was burned in the corn field was filmed near Hornick, the rest was shot at Whiting, Sloan, Salix and Sgt Bluff near the hills). Just kidding.....the loess people are nice.
Are we talking the original? I thought that was all filmed in North Central NE.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:36 PM

No, the fictional town in the movie was "Gatlin" Nebraska, but it was all filmed in Iowa. The largest portion of the movie was made in Whiting, that scene with the mainstreet that had the flagpole in the center was in Whiting, the school too. Then when they turned a corner in one scene it panned to a street in Salix, with just a few clips of some other nearby towns. Seems like I remember a few kids in Whiting even got to play some of the background kids in the movie. I think the restaurant they ate at with all the corn husks in the street was the "OK cafe" in Whiting. Im talking about the original film anound '83 give or take a year.

Last edited by mofford; 02-02-2009 at 02:53 PM..

Old 02-02-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
No, the fictional town in the movie was "Gatlin" Nebraska, but it was all filmed in Iowa. The largest portion of the movie was made in Whiting, that scene with the mainstreet that had the flagpole in the center was in Whiting, the school too. Then when they turned a corner in one scene it panned to a street in Salix, with just a few clips of some other nearby towns. Seems like I remember a few kids in Whiting even got to play some of the background kids in the movie. Im think the restaurant they ate at with all the corn husks in the street was the "OK cafe" in Whiting.
very interesting...

Old 02-02-2009, 03:21 PM

Im sure glad that when I moved to Des Moines I could relocate to hill territory on the south side of town, overlooking yeader creek. Hills make for some nice backyard views. Not too much fun mowing the lawn, however, but it sure drains well. I get to watch the planes fly in to the airport right out of my patio door window, can it get any better than that ?

Last edited by mofford; 02-02-2009 at 03:46 PM..

Old 02-02-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Im sure glad that when I moved to Des Moines I could relocate to hill territory on the south side of town, overlooking yeader creek. Hills make for some nice backyard views. Not too much fun mowing the lawn, however, but it sure drains well. I get to watch the planes fly in to the airport right out of my patio door window, can it get any better than that ?
It's true, Des Moines seems to lie in a transitional area. Ankeny and anything north is mostly flat, on the south side of town and in rural areas south of that it looks more like Missouri.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:29 PM

The stretch south of Lucas on Hy 65 makes for a pleasant view especially on a motorcycle. Warren County is the most transitional as the productivity of the farmland goes "south" once you're into Lucas County. It's not wasteland by all means, but you see alot more hay and pasture land, and lot less corn and soy beans. It has a nice gentle roll to it, but not like the loess hills.

Sioux City also gets pretty hilly as you drive to the north side of town twards LeMars. Even at the south end of the Loess Hills 20 miles north of Counsil Bluffs it's still very hilly on the I-680 shortcut to 29.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:00 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,284,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Traveler View Post
Northeast Iowa, The Loess Hills, and select areas of Southern Iowa is where you will see Dramatic hills.

Otherwise, there are gently rolling hills. And the state specialty is in the North Central third of the state - the flattest scenery I've ever seen.
You ain't never been to SOFL!
You want flat?
We FLAT!!!
When people think of flat states they think KS, IA...
There are HILLS there!
There are NONE here!
FL - The Flat State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa