Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2009, 05:26 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,135,803 times

Advertisements

I read somewhere that Iowa has one of the best statewide public transportation systems in the U.S., if not the best. Iowans, how would you rate it? Overall, is it better than all other of the nation's systems (collectively)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 05:36 PM

267 posts, read 1,227,070 times
I can't imagine that Iowa's public transport is better than many other states at all, actually. As far as statewide transportation, there are Greyhound buses and maybe a few other buses that go across the state. There is one Amtrak line that goes to none of Iowa's most populated areas. Some cities have their own transit systems, some more successful than others, but nothing really inter-city.

I had never even heard of IPTA until this post, and the fact that their website is hosted by a blog website is pretty telling. If I wanted to go downtown today, I could use a bus, but if I wanted to go to say, Dubuque, or even Cedar Rapids, I'd drive. The automobile is still by far the most convenient form of transportation in Iowa, which to me means that our public transportation could use work.

If you find that link though, I'd be interested in reading it. Maybe there is something available that I'm not aware of?

Old 01-29-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowegian View Post
I can't imagine that Iowa's public transport is better than many other states at all, actually. As far as statewide transportation, there are Greyhound buses and maybe a few other buses that go across the state. There is one Amtrak line that goes to none of Iowa's most populated areas. Some cities have their own transit systems, some more successful than others, but nothing really inter-city.

I had never even heard of IPTA until this post, and the fact that their website is hosted by a blog website is pretty telling. If I wanted to go downtown today, I could use a bus, but if I wanted to go to say, Dubuque, or even Cedar Rapids, I'd drive. The automobile is still by far the most convenient form of transportation in Iowa, which to me means that our public transportation could use work.

If you find that link though, I'd be interested in reading it. Maybe there is something available that I'm not aware of?
Here is the link: Iowa Public Transit Association | Iowa Public Transit Association (http://iapublictransit.markupfactory.com/ - broken link)

Old 01-29-2009, 07:12 PM

267 posts, read 1,227,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Here is the link: Iowa Public Transit Association | Iowa Public Transit Association (http://iapublictransit.markupfactory.com/ - broken link)
Oh no, I found that website. I meant to ask if you could find where you had read that our statewide transportation is one of the best systems in the country. Sorry, that wasn't very clear.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowegian View Post
Oh no, I found that website. I meant to ask if you could find where you had read that our statewide transportation is one of the best systems in the country. Sorry, that wasn't very clear.
Actually, I don't remember...Sorry!

Old 01-31-2009, 09:50 AM

204 posts, read 1,008,917 times
I can tell you from living in the Quad Cities, where Illinois constitutes one half of the metropolitan area, that public transit on the Illinois side is much better than Iowa's.

Every metropolitan area I've seen in Iowa does not have Sunday bus service available. However, Metro (the IL QC mass transit provider) operates service every Sunday, plus their Mon-Sat lines run longer (to 10pm) than those on the Iowa side which halt service around 6pm.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:42 PM

337 posts, read 1,522,460 times
I don't know much about our public transportation, frankly we hardly need it if you want to be realistic. When I first read this I was thinking IDOT and in that case I would believe it, I think IDOT does an amazing job at everything.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:37 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,237,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrerkes View Post
Every metropolitan area I've seen in Iowa does not have Sunday bus service available. However, Metro (the IL QC mass transit provider) operates service every Sunday, plus their Mon-Sat lines run longer (to 10pm) than those on the Iowa side which halt service around 6pm.

Des Moines does have Sunday service, it's scaled down a bit from their regular service.

Either way, it's nothing to write home about. When you look at the map of the bus routes it looks like quite a bit of ground is covered, but I'd really not want to be stuck without a car and have to depend on the bus service to get where I need to go.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:34 PM

51 posts, read 210,699 times
I'm in Davenport and I've always thought the Public Transportation was for sh*t. No bus service on sundays and no Amtrak or anything like that even close to us. They talk about bringing an Amtrak line here every so often but then the talk dies down for a couple of years.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:08 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,871,660 times
Iowa has one of the best public transit systems for people of special needs(Elderly, Mental Handicaps, etc.) Maybe thats what the OP was referring to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa