U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-02-2009, 01:56 AM

4 posts, read 9,280 times
Default Alaskan moving to Sheldon, how's the job opportunities?

Howdy, I am an alaskan who is moving to Sheldon in early march, and seeing how I have never have left state before I was wondering what the job hiring rate was in the area? I have experience in construction, heavy equipment operating, demolition, retail and truck driving and really have no idea what to expect as far as finding work. I understand that Iowa is very big on agriculture but seeing as how I'm in alaska...we dont really have much for farms beyond our few potatoe fields, so my knowledge in that field is very limited. And with us up here hearing nothing but how the layoffs continue to grow rapidly in the lower 48, as you can believe I'm a bit worried with finding any work with my experience. Any info on the area would be greatly appreciated.

Rob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 06:08 PM

1,270 posts, read 1,494,223 times
My aunt used to live just down the road from there in Orange City, you will be a long drive from Sioux Falls or Sioux City, the nearest major towns. Can't imagine things looking to good for construction or truck driving right now, but a heavy equipment operator might be the best pay if you could get city or county job, might need some luck with that. If you can run heavy equipment/snowplow in cold weather, I would bet you could find something.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:36 AM

4 posts, read 9,280 times
Yeah, I figured it would be tricky....but I guess what I'm more concerned about is just finding a job in general, general laborer, you know entry level stuff, maybe startin' at 9 or 10 dollars an hour.. I dont have any kids or wife..just a truck note. I just want to be sure I could get into something to get me by untill something better comes along that focuses more on my experiences. Just like I said with the unemployment rate going up and me not knowing a thing about the lower states. I'm just wanting to get a better understanding on how the work force is down there, but thanks again for the heads up!

(and on a side note, I commute 90 miles a day to work as it is, so commuting aint a concern of mine)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa