Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 5,626 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Denver with my wife and 2 YO son. We have wanted to move to a small midwestern town (population less than 15000) for a few years now. We have family in La Crosse Wisconsin so we have been looking in that area. In my travels on City-Data site I came across Decorah. It looks like its a neat town and it is exactly what we are looking for. We are planning a trip to La Crosse and thought we would visit to see what it is like.

Is Decorah a good place to live and raise a family? Also any ideas on jobs? Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 08:44 PM

195 posts, read 1,078,377 times
I live in Decorah. It's a beautiful town, in the limestone bluffs of NE Iowa.It's about 8,500 or so in population, and is a wonderful place to live and raise a family, you couldn't find better. For a town of it's size, it's wonderful, it is I think what you are looking for. I'm not an expert on what jobs you can find here because although I've lived here ( and grew up here) all my life, I'm still in college. But, having grown up in Decorah and towns nearby, it's a great place to grow up. I highly recomend it. Visit and see for yourself.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:59 PM

39 posts, read 219,998 times
Decorah is very nice and beautiful, with abundant outdoor recreation. It isn't too far from La Crosse, WI or Rochester, MN. Another town you might check out is Winona, MN.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:00 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
I grew up in Iowa, and although I haven't lived there for a long time, I still have ties there and have been to a lot of the towns. In my view, Decorah is the nicest little town in the whole state. It's been nearly 10 years since I was there, but at that time real estate was a little high compared to most rural Iowa towns but not unreasonable. I came very close to moving there with a business but my situation changed so I didn't.

Not only is Decorah a great town, but the whole area is beautiful -- rolling hills, quaint little villages, timbered areas, and not far from the Mississippi. If you can find work there, it would be hard to beat it.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:15 AM

104 posts, read 338,882 times
How about proximity to a major airport? I travel a lot of my job and Decorah looks great on paper but it seems as thought I would have to drive pretty far to reach a major airport. Is this correct?

Old 04-16-2011, 02:35 PM

11 posts, read 29,230 times
Decorah is a very forward thinking community! We have formed a Winneshiek County Energy district, one of the first counties in the US to do so I think. Have available for sale Carbon Credits you can buy and invest in, have a grant program cost share for energy audits and energy efficiencies competed on homes with "Free labor" and up to 30 % off the price of materials. Have hosted community "Green" expos and Luther College is working hard to lower carbon footprint of the campus. 12 mile bike trail, the "EAGLE CAM !" at the hatchery, great cold water trout fishing, Boone & Crockett Buck hunting, 1,000s of acres of game management pubic lands in NE Iowa!

Old 04-16-2011, 02:40 PM

Showed a home to a couple from out of State, I did not find a way to enter the garage of the older home with detached garage... until I saw the auto-opener button screwed on the OUTSIDE door frame facing the well-traveled St. frontage. Just press and the door opens up, Been that way for YEARS without a theft problem. Our Sales Associate sold his home, had no home key to give the new owners... since they had never seen a need to lock the home in the 12 years they lived there.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:46 PM

We Have Black Coyote vans that will get you to Minneapolis, Des Moines or Chicago and pick you up when you are coming home, Decorah Express drives multiple times a week as needed to Rochester,
We have HomeTown Taxi's and Q-King Taxi service that might work out a deal to drive you to the airports, Our local airport might also be able to assist on a single or twin engine plane to jump you out to an airport in the midwest.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:53 PM

Decorah has a county run recycling center that is MAKING money! Cheaper for the county to recycle than for the cost per ton at the landfill. Very strong support from the community to use the recycling bins, have avoided the high costs of a curb-side service pickup, very clean and neat city with lots of community pride, very little vacant or abandoned properties, just had a new TRUEVALUE hardware store open up, Sears built a new store recently next to our Real Estate office, Decorah Pulls in trade from ~ 35+ mile area to the community.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:52 PM

18 posts, read 75,206 times
I threw a one-hitter against Decorah in High School. Nice town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa