U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 08:52 PM

681 posts, read 2,624,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Best place to raise a family in Iowa........and illegal immigration has nothing to do with that, yeah right. I wonder which towns in the future will be the best to raise a family ? The ones loaded up with mexicans or the other towns (if there are any). I wonder if the gringo population from Perry, Marshalltown, Sioux City and Counsil Bluffs agree with you SharpHawkeye. Is E 16th and Grand in Des Moines a good place to raise a family ? The hospital in Perry doesn't deliver babies anymore, I wonder why ? People in Sioux City are upset about people breaking into their houses and stealing their stuff, who could be doing such a thing ?? It must be the underpants gnomes doing it in the middle of the night.
All I'm saying is, if that's what you want to talk about, it should be in a new thread. This thread wasn't started to talk about immigration. I don't have an opinion one way or the other on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 07:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,289 times
would you suggest to take a bus, train, or car to visit and see if its right for my family.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:29 PM

2,185 posts, read 2,587,744 times
I feel the need to mention that I do not think all Mexicans are bad nor do I hate people just because they come from or live in Mexico. I'm not back peddling on how I feel about illegal immigration but these charges of racism made against me 2 years ago in this thread deserve some action on my part.

There was a Mexican in history that hailed above all other Mexicans, he came to the United States to reveal the finest of what latino culture can bring forth into this world. This immigrant elevated himself with such ample amounts of class and sophistication that few if any elites from any country (including the US) could rival his stature. I hope that all latinos within the US realize that if you hold Ricardo Montalban as your role model and imitate him as much as possible, then you are on the path to greatness.

Last edited by mofford; 01-30-2011 at 06:40 PM..

Old 12-06-2012, 07:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,777 times
Hi, I am a single mother of two boys and I am looking to make a huge change. I currently live with my boys in Virgnia, right outside of the Washington,DC metro area. Ive been here my entire life and hate it! My oldest son and I decided on getting out of here and making a fresh start! We actually just closed our eyes and chose a state off of the east coast my question is I have no idea about the state of Iowa being a southerner and all. I'm an accountant/ bookkeeper by trade and am desperately looking for a safe place to raise my boys where I can provide a decent life for us. Where in Iowa is recommended? We are mot interested in living in any city amd as a single mom Im not very comfortable living next door to a college either.
One more question if you dont mind. My oldest is also a type 1 diabetic so I need to be close enough to het to a childrens hospital with a pediatric endocrinologist on a quarterly basis.
Thanks you all so much for any help or suggestion! And have a great day!

Old 12-06-2012, 08:35 AM

2,733 posts, read 3,963,458 times
Based on what you've stated, you might want to check out Sioux Falls, South Dakota (We're 13 miles from the Iowa border). It has become a large regional medical center WITH a children's hospital. Unemployment is 4% with a relatively low cost of living. Average wages are less than many parts of the country, but you get to keep more of your paycheck. NO state income tax. Also, if you're trained as an accountant/bookkeeper, finding a job here will not be difficult.

Schools wise, South Dakota kids score very high based on the national averages.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:02 AM

1,704 posts, read 2,396,242 times
As far as I know, the only exclusively children's hospitals in Iowa are in Iowa City and Des Moines, which are both major regional cities. Iowa City is also a college town, so that probably would be off the list. Des Moines is a possibility. Some other cities to look at would be Sioux City, Sioux Falls (SD), and Rochester (MN).

Old 12-06-2012, 02:21 PM

8,092 posts, read 14,013,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiahandroninsmom View Post
Hi, I am a single mother of two boys and I am looking to make a huge change. I currently live with my boys in Virgnia, right outside of the Washington,DC metro area. Ive been here my entire life and hate it! My oldest son and I decided on getting out of here and making a fresh start! We actually just closed our eyes and chose a state off of the east coast my question is I have no idea about the state of Iowa being a southerner and all. I'm an accountant/ bookkeeper by trade and am desperately looking for a safe place to raise my boys where I can provide a decent life for us. Where in Iowa is recommended? We are mot interested in living in any city amd as a single mom Im not very comfortable living next door to a college either.
One more question if you dont mind. My oldest is also a type 1 diabetic so I need to be close enough to het to a childrens hospital with a pediatric endocrinologist on a quarterly basis.
Thanks you all so much for any help or suggestion! And have a great day!
Fairfield!

Huge change from DC metro - Check!
Accounting jobs - Check! Cambridge Investment Research
Safe place - Check!
Not a (big) city - Check! (pop ~10,000)
No college - Sort of; There is a college of sorts - Maharishi University of Management - that maintains a significant presence in town, but it's not your typical "party" school. Students tend to be older and more focused on their studies. It definitely adds a cultural flair not found in many Midwestern communities!
Close to a children's hospital - Check! University of Iowa hospital is about an hour away.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:39 PM

1 posts, read 180 times
Hi, my name is allie my huband and i are thinking of moving to iowa we have six kids 4 bouys ages 15,13,7,6, two girls 10,11, we want to find a little townout there. That have a lot to offer but less people , good schools, good jobs. We want to buy a piece of property not to much and setting down in a great family commuity that is active. We will be leaving our old jobs to start over do not have any family so somwwhere jobs arein demand without degrees... If anyone can help please do so. Also maybe an area that get snow through the winter...the allens thanks..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa