Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 10:32 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,258,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3th4nPr1c3 View Post
And its the ICE CREAM CAPITAL OF THE WORLD. How much better could it get?
You make a very, very convincing argument. How could you go wrong in the ice cream capital of the world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 09:23 AM

25 posts, read 167,731 times
Ok for starters, I lived in Sioux City for over 30 years (I am 31). Just moved to CO & have lived in Syracuse, NY.

I lived in S. Sioux, N. Sioux, Elk Point, and all the rest of it in Sioux City.
If you ask me, DONT live in S Sioux! Live on the (upper) N side of Sioux City, or Dakota Dunes, even McCook Lake, Morningside has a lot going on past the mall with newer houses. (Leed, no Riverside, no and westside, no). Even in between S City & Hinton are nice houses

Crime in S City? wow.....I was floored when I read that one. Try even living in Syracuse where every single day on the news was a police chase, a hostage situation, killings, etc.....and my neighbors were both sheriffs so we heard even more info past what the news was telling us. (however we lived in a suburb of Syracuse, not in the city). The murders they are referring to are not random. Granted I wouldn't walk down 14th & pierce or 12th & Jackson late at night bc that is the GHETTO. Or certain parts of the westside (which I grew up on & was safe back in the day). I lived on the northside near St Lukes & it was safe, and in my opinion my son went to a good school (Bryant) with great teachers. My son was in 1st, reading on a 4th grade level.
And S. City worse than Omaha for crime??? Please!!! that is a JOKE!
Everyone that lives there knows Omaha is far worse! As far as I know the Southern Hills Mall hasnt endured any shootings....EVER.
BUT for the job market there? SUCKS. BIG TIME. Unless you are going to work for a meat packing plant, retail, restaurant there is NOTHING. That is exactly why we moved to CO. MCI & Gateway held many good paying jobs over the years, well MCI is gone, Gateway is a joke anymore & cant even get units to ship to save their life & great sales people who used to make great money in commission are being screwed. (sorry this turned a little personal lol)
Im just mad we had to make a decision to move our family (again) from what I called home (sioux city) because of the job market there.

All in all, if you already moved hope you like where you chose to live. People's opinions are going to be totally different. (oh & by the way, as far as entertainment there I felt that needed a lift....one guy was right, bars on 4th st., theres not too much "nice" sight seeing to do in my opinion and you have to drive to Sioux Falls or Omaha or Des Moines just to do anything fun.)
But it will always be home to me, its what I know the best & even tho I will never live there again, I will visit a couple times a year.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:54 AM

40 posts, read 114,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Grl View Post
Does anyone know why South Sioux City, NE can't be found under any searches (home, apartments, etc). We know there is an actual city in NE called South Sioux City which borders Iowa but can't ssem to find any information on it. Also, is Sioux City, IA a nice place....what are the areas with high crime and which are the areas with a nicer, suburb feel with low-crime and good schools. Thank you for any information
I am not exactly sure why you would specifically want real estate in South Sioux City,NE?! Unless you are an illegal immigrant from a southern region I WOULD AVOID SOUTH SIOUX CITY!!!!! Look in the Morningside area. East High school district. Or go for a small town feel Lawton or my personal favorite Elk Point,SD! I have posted alot about Elk Point if you would like more info go to the thread "maybe relocating to Sioux City".

Old 10-25-2011, 09:53 PM

14 posts, read 19,662 times
Sioux City is so boring and so plain & ugly. Stay away unless you want the life drained out of you.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:21 AM

71 posts, read 118,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I used to live near there in a small town called Remsen (about 40 miles North) and still travel back every year to see people. Sioux City is HELL! There's nothing good about it. It's a very dirty, crime-ridden, and just plain horrible place to live. If you want to locate to the Midwest, go look at Omaha, NE or Sioux Falls, SD.

The real estate in SC is cheap....for a reason! Trust me in saying that you will not like it.
Ill also disagree. I live by it and every time I go there I always have a great time. They have good areas to live like Morningside and right outside of lakeport commons off of Sunnybrook plaza is a really nice place to live. I think Sioux city is great. I also live right outside of Remsen and I think its a nice town too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa