Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 08:03 PM

2 posts, read 10,875 times

Advertisements

Is Iowa minority friendly? Don't see very many around Des Moine, Ottumwa area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 08:27 PM

267 posts, read 1,231,473 times
Iowa is a very white state, this is true. But I think larger cities in Iowa will be as friendly and welcoming to minorities as any comparable city in another state. That being said I could see why you might feel kind of alone as a minority in Ottumwa, it's not one of the state's most progressive (or diverse) areas. I am white so I guess I don't have any proof of this but I really don't think there are places where people will treat you poorly for being a minority in this state. In my experience, Des Moines (which is 82% white, making it the most diverse city in Iowa) and Iowa City (87%) are very tolerant cities. I see people of all ethnicities here in the IC area and it is really a non-issue.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:02 PM

2 posts, read 10,875 times
Thank you for your response. That makes me feel alot more comfortable. You seem like a really nice person.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:41 AM

13 posts, read 43,112 times
Default I'm a minority and moving to Iowa...

I spent all of last week there (DM, Marshalltown, Cedar Falls/Waterloo) and was surprised how diverse parts of Iowa were. I'm being hired because of my 2nd language skills which are becoming more in demand there. Waterloo was extremely diverse with white as the minority and black as the majority. There's also a lot of Bosnian refugees who have made it their home.

I feel this will be a fine move for me and my family; I have no worries.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:47 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,151,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by symboliq View Post
Waterloo was extremely diverse with white as the minority and black as the majority.
Good grief...
Please do not give such false information to people.
Waterloo is 80% white, and only 14% black.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 4,088 times
It's funny to me how people seem to only consider the black race as the only minority. I live in Cedar Rapids and have many Vietnamese and Hispanic friends as well as black (not that these are the only minorities). I hate how these stereotypes are pressed on the midwest!

Old 03-27-2012, 03:56 PM

3 posts, read 7,834 times
Waterloo is the most diverse city in iowa.The city is onley 75% white not including the thousands of bosnian refugees living here. The city is 15% black, 5% hispanic, 1% asian and 3% other. It should be noted that the city of waterloo is probably much bigger and more diverse than the statistics show because many hispanics/bosnians do not fill out the census forms ,thus the city is a lot larger then 66,000 people. There are at least 75,000 people who live in waterloo.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:23 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waloo67 View Post
Waterloo is the most diverse city in iowa.The city is onley 75% white not including the thousands of bosnian refugees living here. The city is 15% black, 5% hispanic, 1% asian and 3% other. It should be noted that the city of waterloo is probably much bigger and more diverse than the statistics show because many hispanics/bosnians do not fill out the census forms ,thus the city is a lot larger then 66,000 people. There are at least 75,000 people who live in waterloo.
For future reference, "Hispanic" and "Bosnian" aren't races. Most Hispanics and Bosnians are caucasian. If you are implying that Waterloo would appear more racially diverse statistically if more Hispanics and Bosians would fill out the census forms, you are most likely incorrect.

If you are talking about cultural or ethnic diversity you may havea point, butit's pretty clear from your post that you are talking about race.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:43 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
There are about 300,000 minorities in Iowa, so there certainly are some. Hispanics are going to be more common in the small to medium size ares. Most of the 80,000 black people in the state live in Des Moines, Waterloo, Davenport and the Iowa City/Cedar Rapids areas.

Des Moines has the largest population of minorities, with around 80,000 total in the metro.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:58 AM

82 posts, read 162,418 times
Chicago60614 nailed it. This is the most accurate numbers and data available.

The Des Moines and Iowa City areas are the fastest growing in terms of Minorities being added in metro areas in Iowa.

I have actually been surprised in the last few years how much more diverse Des Moines has really become. Especially compared to a city of it's size a decade before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa