U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 03:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,572 times

Advertisements

DHS Monarch - I don't know what you are talking about.

I was born and raised here and I don't see any of the things you are talking about. I don't see any mexican graffitti like you are talking about nor do I know about all of the gangs or abuse that you seem to see. If you want some of that look to Omaha - they have multiple shootings every day.

Many of these "so called" Mexicans are what is making this community thrive and grow. Most rural communities are decreasing in population and businesses are closing while Denison had to build a new middle school to keep up with the growth. Maybe 10-15 years ago there were some issues, but I can't imagine trying to move to a new country with no money and start from scratch. These people are doing it, and fixing their houses, buying multiple cars, and spending money in this town.

We have a great school system that is ahead of the curve in most of the state. I don't know of any murders and I feel perfectly safe walking around the town at night. I don't see any garbage on the lawns....Are you even sure you have the right town.

You'll find Denison is a melting pot. There have been an influx of hispanics that have have a huge financial impact on this community. The initial start may have been tough but things are getting better every day. Most hispanics are very family oriented and trying to make a better life than the one they had growing up.

Denison is about 1.5 hours from Sioux City, Omaha, and Des Moines. Small town feel with the city close at hand. Come take a look and make your own judgements before you listen to the people that have no clue....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 11:22 PM

23 posts, read 50,073 times
I work in Denison, live in the country nearby, and I think it's great.

I suppose someone might have trouble finding employment here, but that would only be from lack of ambition or intelligence. A lot of people are hiring. I'm hurt that Jen Hartwig says it's impossible for a young person to find a good job, because I think I have an excellent career and have never had a job around here that pays even close to minimum wage, even when I was in high school. I can't find enough people to connect with all the good jobs that are open!

The school seems great to me, though I'm not a parent and am not involved.

I feel pretty hurt that Mr. DHSMonarch doesn't think we have good people to offer anymore. I'm good and so are my friends, so there.

I do like grafitti art, but haven't seen much of it. I must not be looking in the right places. I do understand the immigrants from Mexico and El Salvador tend to be at odds and form gangs against each other, but I have no problem walking around at night because I'm not either of those offending parties.

The Latino diaspora has really helped combat the white brain-drain. Since many of those like Mr. DHSMonarch convince high schoolers to get out of this town, we rely on immigrants' ambition to re-fuel our small business community. Consider this: how ambitious of a person would you be to move to a foreign land to better yourself and your family? Wait, that's you already! New people, regardless of skin color or previous home, are very important to a growing community.

Some houses are nice, some are not. Some are new, some are old. Neighborhoods evolve naturally.

I find fun things to do around here every week. It's important to be looking out for local events--I'm always finding live bands, DJs, fundraiser banquets, karaoke, interesting foods, all within a short driving distance.

The key when moving here is to make positive friends and forget the downers. They bring you down.

City: www.denisonia.com
Realtors: www.denison-realty.com, www.mccordrealestate.com, www.nepplrealestate.com,
Local news: www.dbrnews.com
Events calendar (not exhaustive) can be found somewhere on www.cdcia.org

Send me a message and I can help more.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:38 AM

3 posts, read 3,799 times
Katherineirene and dhsmonarch lived in Denison when the college was there. It was a nice town then as I spent 4 years at Midwestern. I remember the candy kitchen, belluccis pizza and the rendezvous tavern as well as the old movie theatre. It must have changed dramatically since I was there in 1965-1970. Do you remember the orange Pontiac GTO Judge that drove around town.

Read more: Denison

Old 11-05-2009, 05:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,608 times
Thank You for you detailed response. My family is going to be relocating to Denison soon so my daughter can attend Job Corp. I stumbled across this website and am very impressed by the answers I am getting. Thank You Again, Jacqie

Old 11-05-2009, 10:30 PM

8,293 posts, read 14,277,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHSMonarch View Post
I was born and raised here. Denison was a wonderful town to grow up in, in the 1950s, 60s, and 70s. Lots of good people back then. People had pride in their town. But times have changed, and so has this community. According to census reports, in the last 15 years or so, about 1,500 locals have fled Denison as 2,000 to 3,000 illegal aliens (mostly from Mexico) have moved into town, welcomed by the local packing plants and their stock holders, for cheap, expendable labor. This change has had a devastating impact on our city.

Some things that the local politically correct loons won't tell you, and try hard to keep hushed up, are that the illegal aliens have brought with them an increase in crime (like spousal abuse), drugs, and gang activity. Mexican graffiti is being sprayed all over town, and it's becoming harder to control. Once nice looking neighborhoods have become slums with run down, over crowded houses with yards full of garbage, filth, and junk cars. The two most recent murders in our area have been hispanics killing hispanics. I, for one, would NOT feel safe walking through town at night, and doors that for many decades were left unlocked at night, are now locked.

If someone is considering moving to Denison, Iowa, go ahead and listen to all the wonderful things that some people tell you about our community, but pay attention to what they DON'T tell you, as well.
I'm sorry, but that's just ridiculous, racist and wrong.

The fact that somebody is from Mexico does not mean they are "illegal".

Old 11-11-2009, 10:30 AM

23 posts, read 50,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by z8advisor View Post
It was a nice town then as I spent 4 years at Midwestern. I remember the candy kitchen, belluccis pizza and the rendezvous tavern as well as the old movie theatre. It must have changed dramatically since I was there in 1965-1970.
Yes, things change. The old movie theater has been restored to its opera house glory and the Candy Kitchen as well, except it's now a great cafe that still serves any sort of custom ice cream and soda you want. I'm proud to say I built new stairs to the basement in the same place as the original ones were in 1914, after we found the original banister in the basement and had it restored by local middle-school shop students.

I work in public records and see a lot of the old and new businesses form and dissolve within a generation. Though we enjoy those family businesses that last generations, it's not that common.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,157 times
I lived in Denison for many years and have also lived in the Buffalo suburbs and by far I prefer Denison. There has been an influx of hispanics in the past 10 years or so but the crime rate is Far Far from that of a major city and within the past year I have walked around town at night, with a friend. Most of the hispanics that move to Denison are hard working family types because the plants do pay well. Around 15 plus or minus an hour - and that's not requiring any previous college education. As for the people, most are very nice but as with any small town, they can be pretty nosy as to what's going on in your life as well as theirs. That's just small town mentality though and to be expected. The schools are good and the teachers there - as I went through high school in the early 2000's - truly care about what they are teaching.

All in all Denison and the surrounding area is an excellent place to raise a family but not to make the big bucks in a profession.

As for what there is to do around town, my personal favorite is Yellowsmoke - the lake/recreational park literally right outside of town. It has cabins for rent and an area for RVs and people camping are really very pleasant and quiet for the most part.

[url=http://www.crawfordcountyconservationboard.com/yellowsmoke.html]Yellow Smoke Park[/url]

Other things to consider about Denison is the branch of Western Iowa Technical Community College that is also right outside of town. There I was able to get my college diploma and I do feel that I received a very good education quite close to home, which saved big money.

[url=http://www.witcc.edu/highschool/denisonclassschedule.cfm]Denison Class Schedule[/url]

One more thing I wanted to mention. If you ever do give Denison a try, whether visiting or living - you really ought to try the authentic mexican and el salvadorian food. Really delicious and worth checking out. One of my favorites is El Charro, right there on the Highway 30. Awesome food for cheap and the service is pleasant. If you're looking for something a little more mex-american, try El Jimador. Awesome service and good eats. A little more sit-down than El Charro.

Good luck hope this helps!

Old 08-17-2010, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,902 times
what airport would I go into to get to Denson???

Old 08-17-2010, 10:30 PM

682 posts, read 2,058,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcaro View Post
what airport would I go into to get to Denson???
Omaha and then rent a car.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:32 PM

383 posts, read 839,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHSMonarch View Post
I was born and raised here. Denison was a wonderful town to grow up in, in the 1950s, 60s, and 70s. Lots of good people back then. People had pride in their town. But times have changed, and so has this community. According to census reports, in the last 15 years or so, about 1,500 locals have fled Denison as 2,000 to 3,000 illegal aliens (mostly from Mexico) have moved into town, welcomed by the local packing plants and their stock holders, for cheap, expendable labor. This change has had a devastating impact on our city.

Some things that the local politically correct loons won't tell you, and try hard to keep hushed up, are that the illegal aliens have brought with them an increase in crime (like spousal abuse), drugs, and gang activity. Mexican graffiti is being sprayed all over town, and it's becoming harder to control. Once nice looking neighborhoods have become slums with run down, over crowded houses with yards full of garbage, filth, and junk cars. The two most recent murders in our area have been hispanics killing hispanics. I, for one, would NOT feel safe walking through town at night, and doors that for many decades were left unlocked at night, are now locked.
I live in Sterling, Virginia. There are major swaths of this unincorporated city that has had a huge influx of Hispanics, many of them here illegally. In a span of 10 or 12 years they have had a negative impact on those sections. The majority of them freely park thier cars on lawns, seldom cut their grass, leave garbage and toys sitting outside, and generally do not take care of their places. I think many of the houses they live in are rentals, so the landlords deserve much of the blame. Many of the homes Hispanics live in typically have more people then the house can accomodate. The county keeps very busy trying to enforce overcrowding ordinances, but officials are struggling to keep up.

Many Hispanics are good, hard working people. I think most just want to be left alone so they can work and send money back home. It is a shame many do not feel the need to keep their places up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa