Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 08:34 AM

9 posts, read 36,524 times

Advertisements

I do only have 12 states to go toward my goal. Thank you all, for your ideas so far. And I'm sorry if I offended anyone with the title of this thread. People have asked me, WHY would you want to go to Iowa? (To most people, "vacation" means a beach, a cruise, etc.). I'd like to see what "undiscovered" and lesser-known areas for travelers have to offer. In the area where I live, I am guilty of thinking "Why would anyone want to come HERE?" But everywhere has something of value worth seeing.

[Mod cut]

Last edited by ElkHunter; 04-04-2010 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: No manual signatures, no advertising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 09:34 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times
Default DON'T LAUGH.......Considering a vacation to Iowa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by odessa3 View Post
I live in northeast PA, and one of my goals in life is to step foot in all 50 states. I've never been to Iowa. My husband and I are considering a trip to Iowa for next year's vacation (driving). Due to driving distance, we'd probably stay in eastern IA. Bring on your ideas! We like to SEE and DO. We enjoy small towns with character, outdoors activities like hiking, quirky museums, and a good brewpub. Bring on your ideas!!

I caught the Steamboat Days festival in Burlington a few years ago. Lots of great live music on outdoor stages and excellent food vendors, too. Sometime in June, if I recall. Burlington also has some of the most beautiful public parks you'll ever see on the south end of town, on high bluffs overlooking the Mississippi.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:47 PM

36 posts, read 113,360 times
Definite musts: Iowa City, Quad Cities, Des Moines, Cedar Falls, Ames.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:10 PM

5 posts, read 17,534 times
There isn't anything to see in Ames besides ISU, and I'd have to say the only thing worth while I've done in my 18 years of being an Iowan was the Boone scenic train ride.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:02 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laura.lcb.jo View Post
There isn't anything to see in Ames besides ISU, and I'd have to say the only thing worth while I've done in my 18 years of being an Iowan was the Boone scenic train ride.
queue jingle --

"....here come Debbie Downer..."

Old 04-12-2010, 08:15 PM

49 posts, read 172,114 times
I hope you let us all know what y'all do finally decide and where you go. I just moved (back) here to DM after 15 yrs in Austin, Tx. There is so much to do and see in Ia. If you're bored it's your own fault! Enjoy YOUR vacation!

Old 04-19-2010, 02:51 PM

3 posts, read 16,568 times
Eastern Iowa is the place. Dubuque is Iowa's oldest city and has just gone through a major waterfront restoration. Places to check out there would be Fenlon St. elevator (shortest, steepest railway in the US), the new river walk with the Star Brewery (neat winery and beer museum on the first level-great restuarant and lounge upper level, the Mississippi River Museum and Aquarium. It is a must see. 25 minutes to the west on Hwy 20 is the town of Dyersville where the movie, Field of Dreams" was filmed. The baseball field still exists and many tourists go to play a game of pick-up ball with other tourists. Dyersville is also home to the National Farm Toy Museum, the Dyer Botsford Doll Museum and the Jack Becker Woodcarving Museum. Anamosa (talked about in other posts here) is just 40 minutes away. Anamosa also has a motorcycle museum, I think. For a beautiful view of the tri-state area and some good home cookin', try Breitbach's in Balltown, IA (minutes from Dubuque)

Old 06-27-2010, 08:23 PM

811 posts, read 1,386,277 times
We will be arriving in Dubuque on July 18, and are staying at one of the Bed & Breakfasts in town. We are motorcycling enthusiasts so do plan to visit the museum in Anamosa. We found there are ATV trails just across the border in Wisconsin, so will do that one day. The Star Brewery sounds like it's right up our alley- thanks for that suggestion, breck! Also, has anyone been to the Dubuque Speedway at the fairgrounds? We're race fans also, and their web site notes they have racing on Sunday nights. We're really looking forward to our trip!

Old 07-02-2010, 10:38 AM

42 posts, read 117,232 times
Being a resident of SE Iowa I thought I'd put my two cents in....There IS life in Southern Iowa...it is quiet and small and colorful. There is a new resort park at Lake Rathbun that is amazing! You can skii, golf, lounge, eat, drink, take nature hikes AND then you can visit the antique/craft store in Albia, Moravia, Centerville, Bloomfield, Drakesville (both large Amish areas). Eddyville and Knoxville also have racetracks that are always active and packed! And then in the fall start all the different small town fall festivals. Centerville has Pancake Day the last Saturday of every September...there's a large parade and free fresh pancakes served all day long! Yummy. Mystic and Exline both have huge 4th of July festivals (Mystic has goat races) Moulton has the Jamboree....it is really great to see a small town of a few thousand people come together and celebrate another great year of life in small town Iowa. In fact when the Sea to Shining Sea bike ride came through on Tuesday, June 29th many of them commented on how beautiful SOUTHERN Iowa was and how friendly everyone has been. We support our veterans, respect our elders, and value diversity.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:27 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
The biggest truck stop in the world is on 1-80 in Iowa. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa