U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-23-2010, 05:14 AM

2,933 posts, read 2,673,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
Base on what and how do you define "support"?[/SIZE]
I'd say both fan support and media coverage has a wider gap between Iowa and ISU than you would find in a comparable situation in those other states.

In Indiana, arguably more than any other state, IU and Purdue split the state pretty much in half. Purdue never went through college status like the schools with "State" in their name. Indeed, the state of Indiana has these two schools divided so that one is heavy into the liberal arts and the other into the technical fields, again more so than any other state.

U-M is a blockbuster, iconic school. Few schools could stand up to it if they were in state with it. MSU, however, manages to do that quite well and is a major, major university itself that far transcends its old agricultural roots. There is a balance in the relationship between the two schools and it would be impossible to ignore MSU's huge edge in b'ball.

OkState has very loyal supporters besides Boone Pickens and manages to keep up with OU in many ways. K-State's football success has created a balance with KU in Kansas, although the Jayhawks are the team.

And what do all these relationships have that Iowa-ISU doesn't have?

Both in state schools are in the same conference.

And what that has meant for a long, long time in Iowa is that Iowa's Big Ten membership in the prestigious and acadmemically strong conference has always earned it an advantage over ISU's Big 8 and Big 12 membership.

If you disagree with me, fine, but tell me which of those 4 relationships do you think is actually further apart than Iowa-ISU?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 07:15 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,731,288 times
I'm not going to even try to pretend to have the insight to be able to break this down. I don't really know to be honest, but IMO you don't provide a very convincing agrument. Rather, you provide a lot of preception from afar. Nothing statistically on media coverage, fanbase size, $$ generated, etc. Also, your preception of the Iowa vs ISU is going to be skewed if you've only lived in Eastern Iowa.

You are correct that Iowa is the dominant school in Iowa. I'm not disputing that fact. Im just questioning how you're able to make your overall assertation on that amount of disparity vs other nearby state schools.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:55 AM

167 posts, read 239,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
My neck of the woods....North Shore, other north suburbs, and n.w. suburbs has lots of Cats fan.

And Illinois support in Chicago is far, far more tepid than UW support is in Milw, U-M support in Detroit, etc.

Chicagoland is not prime college football country. Illinois doesn't register with a lot of people. Far more don't give a rat's ass about ND. You are likely to see as much Michigan apparel in much of Chicagoland than ND.

so, sorry, born and bred in Chicagoland and a beg to disagree.
You must be kidding! I live in surburban Chicago and I would say Illinois has a huge following, as well as ND. Illinois and ND are the only teams that have fans in Chicagoland that don't have connections to the school: Illinois because they represent the state, and Notre Dame because of Irish Catholics in the area, as well as just their overall popularity.

Hawkeye fans are Hawkeye fans because they have connections to the school, and they don't even come close to Illinois, ND, or probably even NU (despite their weak showing). North Shore has a lot of Cats fans? Yeah right! Maybe Evanston, but nowhere else!

Old 09-23-2010, 10:46 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,731,288 times
Quote:
I'm not going to even try to pretend to have the insight to be able to break this down. I don't really know to be honest, but IMO you don't provide a very convincing agrument. Rather, you provide a lot of preception from afar. Nothing statistically on media coverage, fanbase size, $$ generated, etc. Also, your preception of the Iowa vs ISU is going to be skewed if you've only lived in Eastern Iowa.

You are correct that Iowa is the dominant school in Iowa. I'm not disputing that fact. Im just questioning how you're able to make your overall assertation on that amount of disparity vs other nearby state schools.
Adding to my previous post. I did find Football attendance stats. Those don't seem to back up your premise. Okie St and ISU have pretty much identical home attendance averages (just one example).

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats...dance/2008.pdf

Old 09-24-2010, 03:14 AM

2,933 posts, read 2,673,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBurbs View Post
You must be kidding! I live in surburban Chicago and I would say Illinois has a huge following, as well as ND. Illinois and ND are the only teams that have fans in Chicagoland that don't have connections to the school: Illinois because they represent the state, and Notre Dame because of Irish Catholics in the area, as well as just their overall popularity.

Hawkeye fans are Hawkeye fans because they have connections to the school, and they don't even come close to Illinois, ND, or probably even NU (despite their weak showing). North Shore has a lot of Cats fans? Yeah right! Maybe Evanston, but nowhere else!
sorry. you seem like the guy who's got to be kidding. Let's make sure we're on the same subject here. The Chicagoland I'm referring to is in Illinois, along the southwestern shores of Lake Michigan. Where's the one you're talking about?

Old 09-24-2010, 08:27 AM

8,869 posts, read 12,531,143 times
I dunno, maybe it's just cause Illinois has sucked so bad at sports lately - but I've heard more than one person comment how a large number of people around Chicago went to U of Illinois for school - but they seem extremely invisible as a vocal fan base.

I know a few ND fans who grew up in Northern Indiana and moved to Chicago, but I had no idea they were popular in the area. That must be a suburb thing where people were born/raised in the area for a long time and not a city thing.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:33 AM

8,869 posts, read 12,531,143 times
Quote:

I found a few things since you got me curious. Iowa Football ranks #71 on fanbase.com, and ISU ranks #130

Revenues according to the Iowa Board of Regents are:

Iowa: $70.6 million
Iowa State: 41.6 million

Old 09-24-2010, 11:02 AM

144 posts, read 19,269 times
First, I'd like to start by saying that ISU needs a complete overhaul of it's football program's leadership and staff. They will never advance beyond mediocrity by allowing that this football program to walk the same path of status quo.

On a different note, it was nice seeing Arizona knock off the Hawkeyes. Living in Western Iowa, I cannot help but to notice how much more energy Hawk fans devote toward hating the Huskers rather than being a fan for their own team. Just sayin', it gets old and hopefully the loss is a nice wakeup call. Maybe, just maybe, had Hawk fans spent as much energy supporting their own team as they did hating on the Huskers, they would be the ones with 300+ consecutive sellouts and 5 national championships.

Last edited by Michael0603; 09-24-2010 at 11:57 AM..

Old 09-24-2010, 11:29 AM

2,700 posts, read 2,325,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael0603 View Post

On a different note, it was nice seeing Arizona knock off the Hawkeyes. Living in Western Iowa, I cannot help but to notice how much more energy Hawk fans devote toward hating the Huskers rather than being a fan for their own team. Just sayin', it gets old hopefully the loss if a nice wakeup call. Maybe, just maybe, had Hawk fans spent as much energy supporting their own team as they did hating on the Huskers, they would be the ones with 300+ consecutive sellouts and 5 national championships.

That must be a western Iowa thing. In eastern Iowa they spend all of their energy hating on Ohio St. and Michigan.

The huskers aren't even on the radar in eastern Iowa. But they will be next season after Neb. joins the big ten.

Maybe, just maybe, trash talking and hating on your neighbors team is a part of the game. I wouldn't let it bother you so much.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:59 AM

144 posts, read 19,269 times
Of course it's part of the game! Though, I've lived in many different parts of the country, but I have never seen such pationate hatred for another team as I have here. It was more of an observation rather than an irritant. Anyway, moving on... =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa