U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 05:43 PM

3,917 posts, read 4,771,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I dunno, maybe it's just cause Illinois has sucked so bad at sports lately - but I've heard more than one person comment how a large number of people around Chicago went to U of Illinois for school - but they seem extremely invisible as a vocal fan base.

I know a few ND fans who grew up in Northern Indiana and moved to Chicago, but I had no idea they were popular in the area. That must be a suburb thing where people were born/raised in the area for a long time and not a city thing.
Illinois never was a football school. It has had good teams. It is no IU. But it is definitely not a football school.

Illinois is, however, a basketball school. And until for football, Chicago is the Illini's second home. No, it isn't Champaign, but non-conference home games are regularly played are regularly played at the United Center. Illinois is unquestionably #1, by a mile, in Chicagoland for hoops.

As noted, in football: not so much.

Chicago is the global city in the Midwest. It is loaded with young Big Ten alumni throughout the downtown and the North Side lakefront. All the schools: Iowa, UW, NU, Illini, IU, Purdue, MSU, U-M, and MSU have their strongholds in sports bars (never saw a Gopher outpost). Chicago is shared territory.

U of I is not to Chicago as UW is Milw or U-M to Michigan.

Illinois fans can't come close to filling up Ryan Field in their one Chicagoland appearance every two years. Indeed the NU-Illini game this year will be played at Wrigley Field with a much smaller capacity but with the pizzaz to make the game special for Cats and Illini as well.

Any year when both Iowa and Illinois have a game in Evanston, the stadium will look very gold and black on one Saturday and minimally orange and blue on another.

ChicagoBurbs thinks the only major football program in the state of Illinois is Lake Forest College and couldn't find his way south of Highland Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 12:15 AM

97 posts, read 153,057 times
Chicago looks pretty solidly UI turf ... guys it's just a question of numbers; you'd be an idiot to honestly believe any school has anywhere close to the fanbase Illinois has in Chicago. Maybe they're less vocal, but there are over 200,000 UIUC alumni living in the Chicago area ... next highest is Indiana with a little over 30,000; Iowa is close behind IU. Come on, you don't have to be a statistician to know UI is going to have the most fans...

Old 12-13-2010, 11:25 PM

97 posts, read 153,057 times
I know this topic has died down a bit ...... but I have a few more comments:

1. I see no one has commented on the map. I take alumni numbers and polls (Tribune and Common Census) over some random people's perception of the area any day of the week. Chicago is Illini country. Big Ten fans, you are welcome! But don't forget what state you're in.

2. Oklahoma State is in a state that loves football and has A LOT of state pride; people close to Ok. St. probably feel a lot of pride in cheering for the Cowboys and they do put together some good football teams and have a good basketball history. Michigan State has great basketball tradition (a majority of those fans are going to carry over to football as well), not to mention pretty solid football. Kansas State has also had some football success and, very recently, basketball there has been pretty good. Purdue has a good basketball history, as well. What does Iowa State have? Relatively no athletic success (only counting football and basketball here) in the last half century.

3. All of the schools that are "keeping up" with the most popular school in the state are going against "iconic" schools:
Michigan State vs. Michigan (football powerhouse)
Kansas State vs. Kansas (legendary basketball)
Oklahoma State vs. Oklahoma (also a football powerhouse)
Purdue vs. Indiana (legendary basketball, although not as legendary as KU ...... despite what their fans might think)

A lot of the PU, KSU, MSU, etc. fans probably have a bit of a chip on their shoulder that the other school in the state is somewhat of a "bandwagon" team nationally, so they cheer for (in their minds) the "true" local team - not the team that all those posers across the nation are cheering for. The same could be said for the tons of A&M fans in Texas and the very strong Auburn fanbase in Alabama. Iowa, while solid, is not exactly a national or historical powerhouse in football or basketball. So, the people who might have been "turned away" from the state school in other states are simply adopting the state school in Iowa.

4. Iowa and Iowa State are not embedded in any big media markets. Iowa is going to start with a natural advantage being the state school, so if the Cyclones don't have a large media market to get them exposure across the state, they will fall even further behind.

Kansas and KSU are in Kansas City
OU and Oklahoma State are in Oklahoma City
UM and MSU are in Detroit
IU and PU are in Indianapolis

Iowa State and Iowa have, what? Des Moines? The Quad Cities? Mhm.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:21 AM

201 posts, read 350,380 times
I am an MU fan. @*@*@@

Old 12-19-2010, 06:22 PM

256 posts, read 200,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babie_T_Nice View Post
So, I'm looking for some socio-cultural guidance on the Cyclones and Hawkeyes. What does it mean, really, to be a Cyclone fan? Same for the Hawkeyes?

I wanna have some prep and background for the game on September 12. Any help much appreciated. Thanks.
Every school has t-shirt fans...the Wal-Mart Wolverines in Michigan...the Target Texas fans in Austin, the Hudson's Hawkeyes in Iowa City...In general, these fans seem to be most attracted to teams whose names can be spelled on a t-shirt with one word without other words on the shirt to distract them.

I'd pick the Cyclones.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:48 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,355,813 times
Just thought it might be time to kick this thread and get some fresh input about the Hawkeye/Cyclone situation. As a Hawkeye fan of course I'm very excited about this season, with 10 straight wins (breaking a team record) and the possibility of a Rose Bowl game. What keeps me grounded is the light schedule they've had this year, and not being all that sure they would have made it past Michigan State and Ohio State. I fear whatever bowl game they get this year, it might go rough for them. Hope I'm wrong about that, but many games they have won were against mediocre teams, and not won by a commanding lead, such as yesterday's Minnesota game, and last week against Indiana.

I saw some clips of the Oklahoma State vs Cyclones game this morning, and the Cyclones came so close to repeating that amazing win over OK state (high ranked again) but just couldn't quite pull it off. The Cyclones have been suffering for a number of years now, but the fans keep showing up for the games. I like Paul Rhodes but is it time for him to go?

Old 11-16-2015, 08:59 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,056,928 times
Rhodes is not going anywhere this year...at least IMO. # of things working against that:

* they are showing a lot of improvement in latter half of year that seems to correspond with firing of former offensive Coordinator

* buyout is still pretty expensive

* not sure the big donors are calling for his head yet.

* a lot of Iowa fans were calling for change in Iowa last yaer . Where would they be today had they fired Ferentz? Not saying that one situation equals the other in anyway, just part of the equation to consider

* there are going to be a large # of head coaching jobs open at the end of this season. Iowa State would be far down list for several prospective coaches so makes timing bad that way

I agree with you that Iowa is benefiting from a weaker schedule but give them credit for taking advantage of that. Weaker doesn't equal easy...by any means.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:54 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,355,813 times
I think Rhodes has a likability factor going for him, he has lead the Cyclones to occasional (fleeting) moments of glory. I still don't think he has matched the level Dan McCarney took the Cyclones to at his peak. It just seems to be little spurts with Rhodes, up and down......heavy on the down. They still manage to beat the Hawks about every other year so that keeps the fans happy. The rivalry thing makes some teams play a little better when they go up against Iowa, the Cyclones, Minnesota Gophers and Nebraska Cornhuskers give it their all when they play Iowa.

Nebraska beat Michigan State a couple weeks ago and have been winning lately, Iowa plays them on Nov 27, hope the Hawks can put them away, Purdue is up next week and they beat Nebraska so I should probably worry more about them, but sparks always fly when Iowa and Nebraska play.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:01 AM

4,022 posts, read 4,789,047 times
If Iowa wins out, including the B10 title game, they're almost guaranteed to make the 4 team playoff. And they'll likely lose to a top team.

But because the rose bowl isn't being used as a playoff game, if they lose the B10 title game they will go to the rose bowl and play a weak-ish pac12 champ.

Likely to get spanked in a playoff game, or likely to win the rose bowl... I kinda hope they lose the B10 title game.

(These outcomes are based on Iowa and Ohio St both going undefeated)

Old 11-17-2015, 11:19 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,056,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
I think Rhodes has a likability factor going for him, he has lead the Cyclones to occasional (fleeting) moments of glory. I still don't think he has matched the level Dan McCarney took the Cyclones to at his peak. It just seems to be little spurts with Rhodes, up and down......heavy on the down. They still manage to beat the Hawks about every other year so that keeps the fans happy. The rivalry thing makes some teams play a little better when they go up against Iowa, the Cyclones, Minnesota Gophers and Nebraska Cornhuskers give it their all when they play Iowa.

Nebraska beat Michigan State a couple weeks ago and have been winning lately, Iowa plays them on Nov 27, hope the Hawks can put them away, Purdue is up next week and they beat Nebraska so I should probably worry more about them, but sparks always fly when Iowa and Nebraska play.
McCarney did great things for Iowa State but he had the extreme luxury of playing in a weak Big XII north division and not having to play a round robin schedule every year against the big boys as Iowa State currently has to do.

This reality makes it kind of hard to compare the two when you consider this difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa