Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 01:26 AM

22 posts, read 94,990 times

Advertisements

Okay, dumb question here. . .

So I'm moving to Iowa in two weeks, bout an hour east of Des Moines. I've worked Saturdays for 8 straight years, and frankly haven't paid much attention to college football. More of a pro football guy with a pro Raider/Niner bent and anti Bronco/Cowboy bent. (I gotta say though, I've decided after the last draft and five years of Raider stupidity to try and give up on the Raiders until Al Davis dies.) As for college football, I went with the Cal and UCLA. Hated Stanford. Lukewarm on USC. I'm moving to a town roughly equidistant from Ames and Iowa City so geography shouldn't play too much into it.

So, I'm looking for some socio-cultural guidance on the Cyclones and Hawkeyes. What does it mean, really, to be a Cyclone fan? Same for the Hawkeyes?

I wanna have some prep and background for the game on September 12. Any help much appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 08:08 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,083,418 times
Myabe I'm totally baised being from Iowa City, but it seems to be the University of Iowa in Iowa City really seems to be more of the flagship team/university in the state compared to Iowa State University.

U of Iowa is in the Big 10, and I was surprised a few weeks ago in southwest Iowa that a VAST majority of people had Hawkeye (Uof Iowa) stuff in their yards and shirts on compared to ISU. Iowa normally has more known sports teams than ISU.

My grandparents were from Des Moines, and them and all of their friends were pretty hard core UofIowa (just called Iowa) fans. If you're living anywhere east of Des Moines/Ames, chances are it's going to be much more Iowa than ISU.

Waterloo, Dubuque, Cedar Rapids, Iowa City....that's all very hard core Iowa country. I think most anywhere that gets KWWL, KCRG or KGAN will be skewed much more towards Iowa City since it's all the same media market.

Just my thoughts...

Old 07-21-2009, 08:12 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,083,418 times
http://www.commoncensus.org/maps/ncaaf_1280.gif

Check out this map.

Iowa covers a vast majority of the state, with ISU only dominating a sliver right at Ames, and then the areas Northwest of there. It's interesting that Ames is almost over-run by Iowa alliance!

Old 07-21-2009, 09:56 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,560,423 times
Cool map Chicago. The majority of the state are Hawkeye fans. They are the only team worth a crap. I'm sure if the Cyclones were better, there would probably be more fans. I'm from Des Moines and am a HARDCORE HAWKEYE!

Old 07-21-2009, 10:16 AM

459 posts, read 2,221,661 times
There is a sayng you'll hear in Des Moines that has alot of validity to it...

You know how you can spot a Cylcone Fan??? They're the ones with the college degree.

Essentially, only the people that went to Iowa State are Cyclone Fans - anybody and everybody else in the the state (regardless of whether they went to college or not) is a Hawkeye fan.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:25 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,573,842 times
Hawks rule, 'clones drool. Just the way it is, especially an hour east of Des Moines.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:07 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,738,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe1 View Post
There is a sayng you'll hear in Des Moines that has alot of validity to it...

You know how you can spot a Cylcone Fan??? They're the ones with the college degree.

Essentially, only the people that went to Iowa State are Cyclone Fans - anybody and everybody else in the the state (regardless of whether they went to college or not) is a Hawkeye fan.
Or the ones wearing a John Deere t-shirt. Des Moines is very heavily skewed toward the Cyclones, I think it's proximity to Ames not to mention being made up of small town IA is a reason for this. Half of Iowa's student body is from Chicago now anyways, and the kids from Iowa, who do goto Iowa, are more likely to leave the state.

In reality, there are probably more Cyclones fans in IA, excluding eastern IA.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:27 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,573,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Des Moines is very heavily skewed toward the Cyclones,

In reality, there are probably more Cyclones fans in IA, excluding eastern IA.
Get real. I've lived in Des Moines and Council Bluffs and they were both heavily skewed toward the Hawkeyes.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:36 PM

70 posts, read 272,668 times
Just a guess but Des Moines is at best only half skewed towards ISU. If i put money on it it would be 60% for Iowa 40% for ISU. Sioux City is largely a Hawkeye area and Nebraska area, the cyclones come in a distant third.

Also I graduated from Iowa so i must be a rare breed

Old 07-21-2009, 05:38 PM

70 posts, read 272,668 times
Oh yeah and a Sports Illustrated poll conducted a fw years ago had it like this:
Favorite college team
Iowa
58%
Iowa State
16%
SI.com - SI 50th - Iowa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa