Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2009, 11:20 PM

22 posts, read 95,300 times

Advertisements

Not a fun topic at all, but worth a read. The weed killer may be more noxious than previously thought. I hope the DMR covers this as well.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/23/us/23water.html?em
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 12:52 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,985,257 times
Wink Atrazine

"People assume that there is somebody in the government protecting their water supply, and that is often not the case. One of the most extraordinary examples of that is the most common pesticide sprayed in the United States, atrazine. . . Atrazine itself is a herbicide, or a weed killer, and it is used on products such as corn. It is the number one contaminant found in drinking water, and ground water, and surface water. . . We found that atrazine had a number of effects, but most significantly atrazine demasculinized the exposed male frogs. I would say even chemically castrated. We went on to show that that in addition to being demasculinized they were also feminized. So that in other words male amphibeans would grow ovaries and even produce eggs. Fish showed similar effects, their sperm counts drop and they start to make egg yolk protein. Does that mean atrazine is causing a global decline of sperms counts in men? Again the experimental and epidemiological data suggests that atrazine may play a very significant role. . . In the entire European Union atrazine has been banned, and in effect that is the only way you can limit atrazine levels because it can travel up to 600 miles, a 1,000 kilometers, in the rain water. In fact of the 80 million pounds of atrazine we use in the United States, about a half million pounds of that atrazine comes back in the rain water. And the irony is, I guess, that here is a European company selling 80 million pounds of a product in the United States where it's not even legal in their home country."

This is a direct quote from the 2007 movie 'Flow.' This documentary covers water issues within this country and globally. Anyone interested with water issues, or concerned with what they are drinking, may find it quite interesting. It is available for purchase from such sources as iTunes. Do not know if, or where it might be rented.

Other aspects of this movie are mentioned in a thread I posted in a different forum:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/color...l#post10278150

Old 08-23-2009, 09:06 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,670,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babie_T_Nice View Post
Not a fun topic at all, but worth a read. The weed killer may be more noxious than previously thought. I hope the DMR covers this as well.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/23/us/23water.html?em
This is very interesting to me. I don't know if Atrazine is now being marketed under a different name and still being used, but it has been at least 25 years since my dad stopped using it - and he's not a "cutting edge" kind of farmer. Its effectiveness has long-since been surpassed by better herbicides.

Maybe it does stay in the soil for decades and decades. I don't know. But something tells me things may be getting hyped a little.

NYT Terrifies Over "Weed Killers" in Water > Facts & Fears > ACSH

Syngenta > Atrazine

Old 09-03-2009, 06:02 PM

22 posts, read 95,300 times
I hope you're right about atrazine in our drinking water being overhyped.

However, the source you used is a non-profit funded by the pharamaceutical, chemical, food, and agricultural industries.

AMERICAN COUNCIL ON SCIENCE AND HEALTH: Integrity in Science: A CSPI Project

Old 09-04-2009, 06:26 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,670,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babie_T_Nice View Post
I hope you're right about atrazine in our drinking water being overhyped.

However, the source you used is a non-profit funded by the pharamaceutical, chemical, food, and agricultural industries.

AMERICAN COUNCIL ON SCIENCE AND HEALTH: Integrity in Science: A CSPI Project
Right.

However, there have actually been no links established between atrazine and any health problems. Period.

They have found traces of atrazine in water, yes. But has it caused, or does it cause, any problems? There's no evidence that it has or does.

Even so, I wish it weren't there. And I firmly believe that it's only a matter of time before any and all traces of it have dissipated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa