Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If the election were between Fmr. Gov Branstad and Gov. Culver, who would you vote for?
Gov. Culver 10 35.71%
Fmr. Gov. Branstad 9 32.14%
Not sure 2 7.14%
Neither, they're both bums! 7 25.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 10:49 AM

681 posts, read 3,025,965 times

Advertisements

Well, folks, we managed to get the last thread on this topic locked...let's see if we can do a little better this time.

Former Gov. Terry Branstad filed paperwork today creating a campaign committee for governor. If he makes it through what is likely to be a tough Republican primary, he could be a serious challenge to Governor Culver next fall.

Quote:
Branstad files paperwork creating campaign committee

By THOMAS BEAUMONT • tbeaumont@dmreg.com • © 2009, Des Moines Register and Tribune Company • October 7, 2009

Former Gov. Terry Branstad filed papers today creating a campaign committee for governor, signaling the beginning of a potential comeback campaign for the Republican and reshaping the race for the 2010 primary election.

Branstad plans to open a candidate organization with the Iowa Ethics and Campaign Disclosure Board, longtime Branstad associate Richard Schwarm said Tuesday. Branstad will name as its head one of the state's leading business executives, Schwarm added.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 09:56 PM

3,316 posts, read 4,099,482 times
I don't think it's going to be a tough republican primary for Branstad. Would think he would be the logical candidate to run against Culver if they want to win. Culver's numbers are way down and he keeps stepping in one mud puddle after another. Now we have another scandal brewing with the movie people getting free cars on state money and over half the 300 million in tax incentives went out of state. Branstad never would of let that happen, I think people have to ask themselves, Who can we trust ?

I think the republicans can do alot for Iowa in local and state government to clean it up and reshape it to better reflect the desires of the voters in general. However, at the national level I am not impressed with Grassley as of late, starting to think the insurance companies have him in their back pocket. I know the insurance business is big in Iowa, but he seems to care more about them instead of the people that can't afford the ever increasing premiums. I think he's on the wrong side of history on this issue. Sooner or later the government will have to step in and regulate healthcare in the US, more than just a public option if it's ever going to be affordable. Lots of missinformation being spread around by the republicans about universal healthcare as of late, IMHO.

At least with Steve King we have a guy that stands for something the people want. Border security and getting tough on illegal immigration. Would never jump ship on Steve for taking such a strong position about an issue that few congressman will do anything about. No matter what his position is on healthcare, I like his european ideas about immigration.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:08 PM

Also wanted to mention the reason why the state government is not going to go $400 million in the hole this year is because of the balanced budget amendment, signed by Terry Branstad. Otherwise the legislature would have borrowed the money and be running large deficits like California is doing, and taxes would eventually go up, and state services would go down. Cutting the budget to match revenues is a product of Terry Branstad and the republicans. I seriously doubt the current legislature would of made the necessary cuts without it. The 10% cuts will be painful but will position us for a faster recovery than the other 40 plus states that don't have a balanced budget amendment. Branstad also signed the lottery and paramutual betting bills, even though many republicans were against it at the time. The state gained a large increase in revenue with voluntary taxes instead of targeting people and forcing a new tax upon them.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:04 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,567,523 times
Rod Roberts for Governor!

Old 10-11-2009, 07:35 PM

862 posts, read 1,636,939 times
If I were going to be still living here at election time anybody but Culver!

Old 10-14-2009, 12:14 PM

22 posts, read 94,919 times
George W. turned me into a pretty partisan Dem. Iowan Republicans HAVE to nominate Brandstad if they're going to have a chance. I'm sure Culver's desperately hoping Van Der Plaats gets the nomination.

I used to respect Grassley a lot more, but I don't think he's been at all honest with Iowans and the Nation about the Health Care Bill.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:58 PM

459 posts, read 2,220,196 times
Terry Branstad is the poster child for why we need to set term limits for the position of Governor in Iowa.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:05 AM

25 posts, read 86,354 times
Culver hasn't been terrible, but he's moving down the charts in a big way. Nice PR move by taking a pay cut, but will that make any tangible difference in the big picture?

No disrespect to the Steve King supporter, but not one person in this state has done more to roadblock my progress in the healthcare field.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD83 View Post
Culver hasn't been terrible, but he's moving down the charts in a big way. Nice PR move by taking a pay cut, but will that make any tangible difference in the big picture?

No disrespect to the Steve King supporter, but not one person in this state has done more to roadblock my progress in the healthcare field.
I don't think Culver is the worst of the worst we could ever have in office, someone used the term "big lug" to describe him a while back. Although Branstad was also young and inexperienced when he took office, I think he learned the ropes alot faster and was not intimidated so easy, as his many veto's bear out. He seemed to stay on top of things alot better than Vilsac or Culver, IMO.

About your progress in the healthcare field, to be clear, is it one of trying to reform the healthcare system or one of advancement within the current system ? Grassley has alot more power to reform healthcare than Steve King. King is a national security guy and sits on that committee, would not think he has much influence with healthcare. But I do want someone to hollar real loud if they try and pass something that hooks illegals up with free healthcare.

As for Grassley, he needs to do something that will lower the cost of healthcare if he wants us to stay with the old system. Perhaps tort reform and drastic reduction of malpractice suits, or allowing insurance to be sold across state lines, he has to do something that will help. There should be laws that prevent hospitals from charging double to people that don't have insurance. I hope the dems are not going to run Roxanne Conlin if they want to oust Grassley. For better or worse, Iowans do not tend to elect women to the bigger seats for some reason. And Roxanne has already lost a time or two, and I faintly remember her getting busted for drunk driving a long while back, someone correct me if Im wrong about that.

Last edited by mofford; 10-16-2009 at 01:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa