U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 08:11 AM

386 posts, read 658,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
Why are Chicago thugs coming into Dubuque, of all places? What's driving the Section 8 housing boom? What parts of town is this happening in?
Thugs are coming to Dubuque because they hear from friends and family that moved here that it is a gravy train. Just yell racial and the city jumps a mile high to pacify them. Easy access to Section 8 housing is big draw too.

Worst area to avoid is downtown at night and north end of town anytime.

Jasper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 08:27 AM

395 posts, read 1,084,680 times
All this talk about Chicago folks ruining Iowa City, Dubuque, the QC, or anywhere else is vastly over-exaggerated.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:43 PM

386 posts, read 658,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
All this talk about Chicago folks ruining Iowa City, Dubuque, the QC, or anywhere else is vastly over-exaggerated.
I wouldn't say ruining a town but certainly changing a town. Dubuque is no longer the safe community it once was. The crimes happening now were few and far in between years ago. Now you expect something to happen every week.

Jasper

Old 02-25-2010, 09:04 PM

1,526 posts, read 2,364,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Thugs are coming to Dubuque because they hear from friends and family that moved here that it is a gravy train. Just yell racial and the city jumps a mile high to pacify them. Easy access to Section 8 housing is big draw too.

Worst area to avoid is downtown at night and north end of town anytime.

Jasper
So is what's happening to Dubuque like what's happening in Minneapolis/St. Paul? (i.e. slowly heading toward majority black, turning into a crime-fest? Minn/St. P. recently hit the 25 most dangerous cities list!)

Would've seemed one of the appeals of Dubuque was that this *wasn't* happening. Given it's rather small size, etc. I'd have thought Dubuque catching a case of inner-city-itis would have been avoidable.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:03 PM

8 posts, read 29,480 times
hey girl, I am coming from California.. we should hang out together.. glued to a fireplace all winter long.. Believe me every day that I look out the window here ( so. Cal) I am thinking to myself.... how can I give up this nice weather? But, you got to do what takes to survive and provide to your family. When are you moving?

Old 05-13-2010, 01:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,491 times
i grew up in Tennessee, and have lived in So Cal, Arizona, and half dozen other places. I live in Sioux City, and have lived here for about five years. We're looking at moving to Dubuque as well. As far as the snow goes, think of it as extreme yard work. You basically get a snow plow and "mow" your driveway. The cities don't shut down over an inch of snow, like they do in the south. Just be prepared with a snow plow, some shovels, and a car with 4-wheel drive. Other than that, it's like any other place, 4 months of difficult weather, 4 months of "iffy" weather, and 4 months of really great weather. I'm personally a little worried about things to do, but with Chicago only three hours a way (give or take) I'm sure I'll be able to provide my wife and I with our big city fix often enough. I've been to Dubuque a dozen times or so (in-laws and friends live there) and it seems like the nicer side of Iowa. Hope this helps.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:00 PM

176 posts, read 138,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogirl5 View Post
OMG people, it's not that cold! Anyplace can be great if you just let it!
I've lived in Twin Cities and the upper peninsula of Michigan. Both of those places have their pluses, but their winters are much much worse than Iowa.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:00 AM

718 posts, read 1,126,231 times
Born and raised in Illinois with a 15 year stint in California and I will tell you that I have never met one unfriendly person in Iowa. Husband has accepted a job in Dubuque and I will have no problems relocating there. Snow is not as bad as you think. Look on the bright side....all the bugs die....unlike in the South where they just get bigger.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,524 times
I am moving to DBQ in Sept '10. Am looking for something like a downtown loft-y place, as in "urban renewal". Does anyone know of such a property? Does anyone know an investor(s) or investor group that would be interested in doing that in downtown Dubuque? I am moving for IBM, but am a kitchen designer by trade now and have some newby RE experience. Thanks for your info re weather. I went to school in Grand Rapids, MI, so have some familiarity with the winters. You are right--winter is what you make of it!

Old 09-29-2010, 06:33 PM

219 posts, read 365,980 times
Dubuque is one of the coolest and most beautiful cities in Iowa, with a LOT of beautiful parks and fun things to do in the surrounding area. Enjoy it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa