Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 05:51 AM

821 posts, read 2,011,564 times

Advertisements

reminds me of an event that happened at my house
husband had a tractor on trailer, the top got caught on the phone line
he took off down the road not knowing what what happening, pulled some sidding off the house and it was dragging behind him, he finally say it, I thought the house was falling apart (which it was)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 12:18 PM

2,278 posts, read 3,921,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
BELLEVUE (AP) - Authorities say the driver of a logging truck drove with the boom arm raised, snagging and snapping overhead power lines for about 12 miles in northeast Iowa.

Trucker Snags Power Lines in Iowa | KCRG-TV9 | Cedar Rapids, Iowa News, Sports, and Weather | Local News
And he was sober!

Old 10-24-2009, 01:12 PM

27,340 posts, read 27,393,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Not necessarily. The boom-arm is typically mounted on the nose of the trailer and, hence, invisible in the mirrors.

Pulling down powerlines isn't all that an uncommon experience with big trucks. It's easier to do than you think. If you think not, take a 13'6" trailer down an alley-way or through some neighborhood and see for yourself. You really have to do some serious bending and stretching to see the nose of the trailer in the mirror, which is where powerlines snag.
Absolutely. Some bridges too, are lower than the average truck and you cant clear them. They get stuck. And its true, you can only see (or foresee) so much.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:10 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,449,610 times
Quite an electrifying news item John!

Old 10-24-2009, 11:12 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,532,525 times
True story: I was new to the retail account I'm currently driving on. I was delivering to a store I'd never been to before. My buddy gave me directions, including the warning; "When it looks like the main road curves left, you follow the road that goes straight" Sure enough, I recognized the split just as I'd driven too far to back up in a very difficult intersection. Even at 1 a.m. "No problem, I'll just turn right down this side street and get back on the right road pronto"! The next thing I knew, I was facing a "T" intersection that I would NEVER have been able to get my 53' refrigerated trailer through. The headlights behind me yielded a fellow trucker who helped me back into the side street behind me. Then he told me how to get back to the other road.

When I arrived at the store, the Night Manager asked me if I'd gotten lost! I said "Yes, how did you know"? Seems I'd torn down partially some cable TV lines and a guy watching his TV saw me. Now, even in residential areas, the phone/TV/electrical power lines have to be strung high enough to allow access to moving vans, which pull the same 13'6" tall trailers we pull. A quick call to the cable company made things right.

The guy with the boom should've realized he was overheight, IMHO

Old 10-25-2009, 03:37 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
True story: I was new to the retail account I'm currently driving on. I was delivering to a store I'd never been to before. My buddy gave me directions, including the warning; "When it looks like the main road curves left, you follow the road that goes straight" Sure enough, I recognized the split just as I'd driven too far to back up in a very difficult intersection. Even at 1 a.m. "No problem, I'll just turn right down this side street and get back on the right road pronto"! The next thing I knew, I was facing a "T" intersection that I would NEVER have been able to get my 53' refrigerated trailer through. The headlights behind me yielded a fellow trucker who helped me back into the side street behind me. Then he told me how to get back to the other road.

When I arrived at the store, the Night Manager asked me if I'd gotten lost! I said "Yes, how did you know"? Seems I'd torn down partially some cable TV lines and a guy watching his TV saw me. Now, even in residential areas, the phone/TV/electrical power lines have to be strung high enough to allow access to moving vans, which pull the same 13'6" tall trailers we pull. A quick call to the cable company made things right.

The guy with the boom should've realized he was overheight, IMHO

A similar thing happened to me in a small southern town (I won't say which one 'cuz I don't know about the statute of limitations. )

In any case, I ended up on a residential side street lined with low, shotgun houses. The power lines were on the right side of the street and all the phone lines crossed the street to the other side, getting lower and lower as they went. I crowded the power poles as much as possible, but still pulled down every phone line for about 2 blocks.

I stopped just long enough to pull off what wires were clinging to the trailer and hauled azz.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:53 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,695,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
BELLEVUE (AP) - Authorities say the driver of a logging truck drove with the boom arm raised, snagging and snapping overhead power lines for about 12 miles in northeast Iowa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
The driver was obviously seriously distracted from his driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Obviously the idiot was talking on a cell phone.
Maybe the wife/girlfriend....you think ????

Old 10-25-2009, 07:32 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Quite an electrifying news item John!
SHOCKING
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of: