U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 01:01 PM

38 posts, read 113,253 times

Advertisements

Hello-
I may have a job opportunity in the QC and have a question about how “big” the area feels.

I have lived in Champaign, IL and Columbia, MO, each with around 100,000. [A comparison to Iowa City would probably be helpful since I’m sure it similar to both] While I like these cities, I would not want to live in a smaller area.

I know the total metro population is around 350,000. That said, I know it will not be anything like Des Moines or Madison, WI.

So basically what I am asking is does the QC feel like an area of 300,000 + people or does it seem to be 5 smaller towns that are close to each other?

Also, if anyone has either lived in Iowa City, Champaign, Columbia, or any other predominately college town, how does the QC compare? I am a 26 y/o single male. Is there a decent singles scene of people my age?

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 01:52 PM

31 posts, read 93,354 times
I think I answered this back in the Illinois forum. But The QC does feel as big as it's population; to answer your question. It is truly one metro and don't let anybody tell you different. But honestly, if I were you I would come and see for yourself and see if the QC is a good fit. I have lived in Iowa City (IC) when I was attending the University of Iowa back in 2004. I am not single so I might not be of much assistance in that department. But I have plenty of single friends here and they seem to get along just fine. If you like going to bars we have the district which is pretty popular for residents here.
I personally, like the QCA a lot better than IC. The QCA has more grit and has a lot of culture and character. I'm not slighting IC but IC feels like one big suburb to me; it does have alot of culture with U of I being there though.
I know people do not think of the QC as being a "college town". But in the metro there is Augustana, St. Ambrose, Palmer's, and Western Illinois @QC. Really, the QC is not too far behind Des Moines. We have all the amenities they have; the only thing that really separates the QC from Des Moines is the size of the metro and Adventureland. I know I jumped around alot but take it from someone who actually lives here not that this makes me an expert. But I don't think you will be disappointed.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:20 PM

4,676 posts, read 6,231,513 times
The QCA feels bigger than Iowa City. The QCA has a lot going for it, more than people prob'ly think. It does seem like one big city.

I live in the QC, but I'd tell a friend to move to IC if they had to pick between the two.

Don't know why really, because QCA has plenty of drunk college kids, and IMHO better concerts, festivals etc. than IC does. And there is a pretty good sized singles crowd here.

But I just like Iowa City more. IC is more walkable...more...hang out-able.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:46 AM

11,264 posts, read 22,730,578 times
The Quad Cities do seem their population. I think part of that is they've been about the same population for decades, so they were 375,000+ people 30 years ago when development was more dense, and things just seemed "bigger" than the spread out suburbia we have today.

Up until the 1980's the Quad Cities had actually always been a healthy amount bigger than Des Moines. Then from the 1990's through today, Des Moines really took off, and population wise the Quad Cities froze in their tracks. Today it's around 560,000 and growing fast compared to 375,000.

One thing I notice about the Quad Cities is the physical area just seems HUGE for the actual population. The different towns have their own growth patterns, their own downtowns, and with the 1-mile wide river running through, it just pushes everything out in multiple directions.

I drive in on Kimberly coming into Davenport from the Northwest, then through Davenport, Moline and East Moline and it's almost 12-15 miles from where the development starts and where it stops.

I have nothing against Davenport, but I really noticed how much more grit it has compared to Des Moines. They really are very different areas.

Actually - I should have said Quad Cities. My whole life we always grew up in Iowa just calling the Quad Cities "Davenport", even if we were talking about the Illinois side. Has anyone else done that??

Old 11-25-2009, 03:17 PM

12 posts, read 32,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
The Quad Cities do seem their population. I think part of that is they've been about the same population for decades, so they were 375,000+ people 30 years ago when development was more dense, and things just seemed "bigger" than the spread out suburbia we have today.

Up until the 1980's the Quad Cities had actually always been a healthy amount bigger than Des Moines. Then from the 1990's through today, Des Moines really took off, and population wise the Quad Cities froze in their tracks. Today it's around 560,000 and growing fast compared to 375,000.

One thing I notice about the Quad Cities is the physical area just seems HUGE for the actual population. The different towns have their own growth patterns, their own downtowns, and with the 1-mile wide river running through, it just pushes everything out in multiple directions.

I drive in on Kimberly coming into Davenport from the Northwest, then through Davenport, Moline and East Moline and it's almost 12-15 miles from where the development starts and where it stops.

I have nothing against Davenport, but I really noticed how much more grit it has compared to Des Moines. They really are very different areas.

Actually - I should have said Quad Cities. My whole life we always grew up in Iowa just calling the Quad Cities "Davenport", even if we were talking about the Illinois side. Has anyone else done that??

Ha ha, growing up in Des Moines, we always called it Davenport. After living in the Iowa City area for about 10 years, I always refer to the Quad Cities when talking to my family and they never know what I am talking about. Only after saying Davenport or Moline, do they understand.

I am always surprised by the Quad Cities whenever I visit. They all have their unique areas. Downtown Moline and Rock Island always seem to have alot going on despite there being no "geographical center" of the Quad Cities.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:20 PM

267 posts, read 1,113,996 times
I think the Quad Cities (I call it Davenport too most of the time) feel larger than Iowa City, but smaller than Des Moines, just as you put it. If they were all one city, with one downtown, it would probably be more like Des Moines or Madison, but it is a very spread-out place. Despite this, it does have a city feel to it, especially in the older parts. As Chicago60614 said, it's too gritty to be a small town. Bettendorf not so much, but Davenport and the older parts of Rock Island and Moline definitely feel like an urban area. (I think Davenport itself feels about as large as Cedar Rapids if you've been there, even though it's smaller.)

I will say that downtown Iowa City feels more urban to me than any of the QC downtowns, but QC would definitely win if they were all put together. I don't think it would be a bad place if that's the size of town you are looking for.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:23 PM

413 posts, read 1,554,897 times
My feeling on it, which some folks in the IL forums disagree with, is that there's no way to consider the QC metro as anything other than a single entity. You would really have to make extra effort to avoid using businesses or amenities in other cities within the metro.

The QC as a whole, I believe, is competing with metros the likes of Des Moines, Madison, or Sioux Falls. Obviously since we aren't a college town in the way that Madison or Iowa City are, we aren't going to have that kind of campustown feel that State Street or the Ped Mall are going to have. We certainly don't have a single skyline to compete with Des Moines, nor the amount of corporate money that they have, but when you start looking at quality of life and amenities, I think we are more comparable than most would think.

There are things that these other metros have that we don't, such as lifestyle centers, Living History Farms, etc. There are also things that we have that they do not, such as a PGA golf tournament, world-class annual air show, the Mississippi River, and so on. So in my opinion, we're comparable to some of those metros, although slightly smaller.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:00 PM

31 posts, read 93,354 times
Totally agree with the statement above.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:23 PM

38 posts, read 113,253 times
Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond. All the answers were very helpful.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:47 PM

99 posts, read 290,143 times
Is it me, or do the Quad Cities give off the geographical feeling of a Pittsburgh, or Cincinatti? I left the area for a few years, and I remarked to my parents how I always took the views of the Mississippi River and the Mississippi Valley for granted, until I left. The Quad Cities area is beautiful, man!! LOL I guess living in colorless Waterloo-Cedar Falls will do that to you. Living in Iowa City in 2005, I would have to agree with a previous poster that Iowa City just gives you the feel of Bettendorf--suburban, and plastic, though IC is much more interesting and liveable than Bettendorf, and has the U of Iowa as its economic, educational, and cultural anchor.

If I were to take these two metropolitan areas, and sum them up analogically to larger areas, I would describe Des Moines as a smaller version of The Twin Cities area, and the Quad Cities as the aformentioned cities of Cincinatti, or Pittsburgh. Des Moines has lots of porofessionals, and various corporations. It is pretty flat, with some rolling hills to boot, and middle-class in orientation. It's also growing by leaps and bounds. I should also mention that Iowa State is just 30 minutes north on I-35 in Ames. On the other hand, the Quad Cities region is gritty, blue-collar in orientation, VERY hilly, and has a bluntness to it that I cannot ascribe to the rest of Iowa, which seems to me to be more reserved. It's more Ohio, or PA than Minnesota, which is the way that I see the rest of the state of Iowa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or