Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2010, 04:25 PM

29 posts, read 110,699 times

Advertisements

We'll be making a drive from MI to OR and want to plan some stops along the way. Our route will take us along I-80.

Anything we should stop and see? Keeping in mind we have 3 kids under 11!

Thanks!
Jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 07:55 PM

16 posts, read 77,825 times
World's largest truck stop. Iowa 80 Truckstop

Old 01-14-2010, 06:39 AM

415 posts, read 1,738,596 times
Iowa 80 is certainly the #1 choice as far as the "tourist trap" term, and for being literally on I-80. Its a great place to say you've been, and pretty interesting to see as well.

Depending on if the kids have ever seen the Mississippi River, you might either go through Davenport's riverfront, or LeClaire's. LeClaire's would be a lot closer to the interstate, but Davenport's is possibly more interesting, especially for kids. There's a riverfront skybridge where you can let the kids run around and have a great view of the Mississippi, downtown Davenport, and downtown Rock Island, IL, as well as Lock and Dam 15.

But yeah, definitely hit the Iowa 80 Truck Stop.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:44 AM

4,859 posts, read 6,918,406 times
If you reach Iowa City around dinner time, take a short jaunt north and west of IC to the Amana Colonies. Tons of shops with homemade goods from furniture and rugs to beers, wine and cheese. At the least, eat at the restaurant there. All homemade AND homegrown.

If you're not making your drive during the winter, just south of the interstate by Des Moines is the covered bridges of Madison County. Very picturesqe.

Take the business loup through downtown Des Moines and you'll go right by the state capitol.

Other short tourest stops in Iowa right beside I-80 have already been mentioned.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:30 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
Was Wall Drug along I-80? I can't recall. If you ever pass it by while roadtripping with your kids, STOP. And make sure to take pictures of the many, many signs along side of the road - fun for scrapbooking!

Old 01-14-2010, 05:44 PM

196 posts, read 776,438 times
Living History Farms in Urbandale is a unique place.

homepage

Adventureland is a nice distraction.

Adventureland Amusement Park (Des Moines, IA) : Home

Old 01-14-2010, 06:24 PM

4,859 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Was Wall Drug along I-80? I can't recall. If you ever pass it by while roadtripping with your kids, STOP. And make sure to take pictures of the many, many signs along side of the road - fun for scrapbooking!
Wall Drug is in Wall South Dakota which is on I-90. Actually, you brought up something for the OP who's traveling to Oregon. Maybe taking a right turn at I-29 just north of Omaha and heading to I-90 at Sioux Falls SD would be a LOT more interesting drive than taking the ultimate boring trip of I-80 across Nebraska.

In the drive across South Dakota there is plenty of "tourist traps".

We'll start the the falls in Sioux Falls, the worlds only Corn Palace in Mitchell, the Missouri River at Chamberlain (with a stop for buffalo burgers at Al's Oasis), Wall Drug, the badlands of South Dakota, and finally the ultimate tourist mecca for multiple places to see and to take your money, the Black Hills. While there, even if you're somewhat hurting for time, you do NOT miss Mt. Rushmore and Needles Highway. Then high tail it north on Hwy. 385 past Pactola Lake and through Spearfish Canyon to reconnect with I-90.

Somewhat boring drive across eastern Wyoming and eastern Montana until you get to Bozeman and the Rockies.

Last edited by jmgg; 01-14-2010 at 06:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa