U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 01:43 PM

1,787 posts, read 1,924,848 times

Advertisements

...but seriously, nothing to put Iowa in the "crazy liberal" category.

Obama is not governoring the way he said he would when he ran for office. That is not Iowa's fault and thus nothing we should hang our heads over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 04:07 PM

15,342 posts, read 21,273,256 times
Obama is just as big energy friendly as Bush was. It's called the lobbyists get whatever they want.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:37 PM

10 posts, read 12,596 times
I was born in Esterville and lived several years in Iowa. My parents moved to Oklahoma later and I went back to Iowa and spent my summers on the farm with my grandparents. I love Iowa and my best memories from childhood are there. I will say that Iowa like the rest of the country has changed and not for the better. The values that I grew up with in Iowa farm community is not the same now. It is just sad and it is not just Iowa that is leaving the faith, family country ideals. I find it hard to swallow the gay marriage thing, and I thought Iowa would hold steadfast to family value. I still love Iowa, but times they are a changing, and Iowa is undoubtedly going along with the rest of the tide. I still have hope that some of the smaller towns which is the majority of Iowa will keep the crazy ideas out. I do believe that the larger cities are more like California and other liberal places. I am not a complete conservative, but liberalism is somewhat crazy. The stripper thing is a loophole in the law, that needs to be changed, and the judge is the crazy here for letting it go. I hope those whose roots are deeply planted in Iowa, and not transplanted stand up for what is right thing to do in Iowa and stop going along with crowds.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:33 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,538,862 times
Moderate democrats and moderate republicans tend to favor positive government intervention to solve some of our nations problems, but do not embrace much of the far left agenda. Most people in Iowa are moderate. Many have negative feelings about the role the elite has played in the past decade, health insurance companies, big oil and pharma, defence contractors, real estate flippers, ect. I think many people were moved to the left after what has happened with the last administration. Reagan democrats and Obama republicans are one and the same, they shift their vote, and 65% of the country voted for Obama.

Be thankful we passed on John Edwards, and if anyone thinks Hillary could have done any better, I have my doubts. The problem comes from congress, not the president. There are so many things they could do with legislation to help solve our problems, but they do nothing because of the lobbyists. Obama ripped on the supreme court in his state of the union address for their recent decision to allow more corporate financing in campaigns. How can Obama fulfill his canpaign promises if everyone is going to turn on him ? The situation with healthcare seems hopeless, what can Obama do, what can "we the people" do ? The republicans are fine with healthcare going up 5% a year until the end of time, and Sarah Palin makes me want to vomit. Perhaps the democrats could pull the plug on medicare coverage for wealthy retirees and use that money for UHC, since the rich don't want government health care.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:16 AM

1,237 posts, read 1,319,319 times
I voted for Obama (and Bush in 2004), and while he hasn't been as effective, his administration is making progress in turning the economy around. I am as middle of the road and open-minded as they come. I don't watch Fox or MSNBC...it's all propaganda and partisan garbage. I ignore the extremists on both sides because they tend to skew facts to suit the agenda of the week. The extreme right has been on a witch hunt and will find any fault with anything Obama does, and the extreme left will do anything to get a jab in on the Republicans. It's silly and counterproductive, and makes me wonder how elected officials and media personalities twice as old as me can act half my age.

The fact of the matter is, moderation is the key to success. Free markets running wild with no regulation tend to fall into hard recessions, and likewise, too much regulation and bureaucracy stifles private sector innovation and progress. Health care is failing because there has been no regulation or oversight. Most Americans are in favor of a public option, which would bring some much needed competition to private sector health care. Even if that doesn't come to pass, there are other ways to control costs. The Republicans have offered very little in the way of ideas; most of their energy and effort has been spent whipping up the extremists who are causing the party to splinter.

Like others have said, Iowa is a tolerant place with common sense people. I don't see why you think gay marriage is crazy. After all, traditional conservative ideology is based on the principle of "live and let live." Therefore, if you are a true conservative, it shouldn't bother you.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:02 PM

7 posts, read 17,824 times
Mustang, I wholeheartedly wish there were more people like you.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
Health care is failing because there has been no regulation or oversight. Most Americans are in favor of a public option, which would bring some much needed competition to private sector health care. Even if that doesn't come to pass, there are other ways to control costs.
* Health care isn't regulated? Wow! News to me.
* Most Americans are in favor of a public option? can you site a source?
* Private industry competing against the gov't is not competition....at least not a a fair playing field.
* The only way to control costs to for the health industry to become more free market driven. The reason costs keep rising is because you or I don't currently shop around for the best deals. We don't care at this point because our insurance company picks up the tab regardless.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeom View Post
Mustang, I wholeheartedly wish there were more people like you.
There are. Listen to any politician speak. Mustang has the talk down to a science. I wonder when/he she is running for office.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:37 AM

396 posts, read 1,089,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
* Most Americans are in favor of a public option? can you site a source?
Do a google search for "public option polls" and you will see many, many polls showing over 50% support for public option. If you do a search for "government option polls" you'll find the opposite. If you call it a government option, or government takeover, people are against it. If you call it a public option to compete with private insurers, people are for it. Here's an article in the Guardian running down some states' polling on it vs the Dem reform plan. The public option is more popular pretty much everywhere.

In Iowa, for example, the public option got 62% approval, and the Dem plan 35%. The problem with some of the numbers being used by the right to show how people are against health care reform is that they include people who don't think the current compromise bills go far enough. So while you can honestly say that 65% of people are against the proposed health care reform, its only because a good size chunk of the left is included in that.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:09 AM

9,116 posts, read 13,534,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
I voted for Obama (and Bush in 2004), and while he hasn't been as effective, his administration is making progress in turning the economy around. I am as middle of the road and open-minded as they come. I don't watch Fox or MSNBC...it's all propaganda and partisan garbage. I ignore the extremists on both sides because they tend to skew facts to suit the agenda of the week. The extreme right has been on a witch hunt and will find any fault with anything Obama does, and the extreme left will do anything to get a jab in on the Republicans. It's silly and counterproductive, and makes me wonder how elected officials and media personalities twice as old as me can act half my age.

The fact of the matter is, moderation is the key to success. Free markets running wild with no regulation tend to fall into hard recessions, and likewise, too much regulation and bureaucracy stifles private sector innovation and progress. Health care is failing because there has been no regulation or oversight. Most Americans are in favor of a public option, which would bring some much needed competition to private sector health care. Even if that doesn't come to pass, there are other ways to control costs. The Republicans have offered very little in the way of ideas; most of their energy and effort has been spent whipping up the extremists who are causing the party to splinter.

Like others have said, Iowa is a tolerant place with common sense people. I don't see why you think gay marriage is crazy. After all, traditional conservative ideology is based on the principle of "live and let live." Therefore, if you are a true conservative, it shouldn't bother you.
Amen to that! This country is going straight to hell because NO ONE is willing to talk to anyone else. The democrats rail on the Republicans, but I honestly feel like the Republicans take the cake on this one. It seems their entire message is a sense of fear and threats about our own countrymen. As if the Democrats desires are to destroy the country or something. You have to give and take a little, you can't just threaten someone to blindly follow you or they'll end up a communist, dead or poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa