Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 03:14 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,904,601 times

Advertisements

Liberal is not a bad word or thing to be as Lush Limbaugh, Sean Calamity and other so called conservatives have made it out to be.

Jasper Hobbs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 03:46 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,066,832 times
Do gays not also have the right to
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjmc View Post
a wonderful place to worship, work and raise a family
?

Old 06-11-2010, 05:03 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,039 times
Iowans should scream to anyone who asks if Iowa is "crazy liberal" that yes, indeed it is. That way people whose minds are stuck in the 20th century (or earlier) will avoid the place.

See above for examples. You Iowans will be smart enough to recognize them immediately.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:55 PM

15 posts, read 45,226 times
I went to the U of Iowa for undergrad... GO HAWKEYES!!

Love Iowa (wife is from Ames).... and I would say Iowa in general is pretty conservative OUTSIDE of Iowa City. IC was (is) one of the most liberal places in the country in my experience.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualradius View Post
I went to the U of Iowa for undergrad... GO HAWKEYES!!

Love Iowa (wife is from Ames).... and I would say Iowa in general is pretty conservative OUTSIDE ofIowa City. IC was (is) one of the most liberal places in the country in my experience.
Oh really? So how have a lot of these liberal open-minded folks been reacting to the city's racial changes lately?

In my opinion, it's really sad what they think constitutes an even remotely significant black population. If Iowa City was in my south suburban area of Chicago, we'd call it a white town.

Last edited by urza216; 06-14-2010 at 07:19 PM..

Old 06-14-2010, 08:02 PM

37 posts, read 132,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjmc View Post
I will not budge on the gay marriage issue. It is wrong and there is no middle ground. This country was not founded on the assumption to let people behave in that manner. Live and let live is too broad to be literal. There are right and wrong and too many wrongs are being just let go for fear of being too restrictive and narrow minded. A gay person is not holding true to themselves and their reality anyway, so why should we propagate it further by saying it is ok to marry and whatever else you want to shove in front of the rest of us. Lack of morals and values are shoving this country done the wrong path, but it will likely not be me who suffers, I may be gone, it will my children and grandchildren unfortunately.
What a lively conversation you all have going here. I wasn't going to chime in but when I see something like this ^ I just can't help myself. So... here goes...

I would like to ask you a question gjmc. How will your children or grandchildren suffer by me and my partner of 10 years getting married? Don't worry, we don't plan to. For one thing, it looks like straight people are destroying it very well on their own. And now that there are selfish people reducing it to a simple mathematical formula to place on their bumper stickers and completely disregarding love... well, if marriage isn't about love then I don't see how it is worth defending.

But, honestly, I did not realize that we have that much power just going on and living our daily lives. To be able to destroy the fabric of an entire nation - to tear down the institution of family just by expressing our love for each other by *gasp* committing ourselves to each other - to drive this country to ruins just for having the same rights granted to us that a man and woman getting drunk in Vegas and tying the knot at a drive through chapel are conferred... well, I didn't know I had it in me. Either that or these instituations are not that strong to begin with.

Fortunately, I think neither are true. I think that it is just that you have such a confined sense of love that you believe you own it. You believe in freedom, but you clutch it like a nervous child, afraid to share else it will be taken away. Well, Abraham Lincoln said something pretty smart - basically, if you deny freedom to others, you deserve it not yourself. (I'm not putting that in quotes because I am going off of memory.) Well, I am a U.S. citizen. I am not hurting anyone else by being in a consensual, loving relationship and you have no right to deny me or anyone else to enjoy a legal recognition of that. And a lack of compassion and humanity (such as you display) have kept this country from fulfilling its promise of human equality and freedom for all. I for one applaud Iowa for "shoving" the country in the right direction. And as for your children and grandchildren, if you are worried that they might grow up and learn to respect other people, even those who are different from them, and (yikes!) even stop living in constant fear, then yes, perhaps you should be concerned. Otherwise, you are just another in a long line of chicken littles who pronounce the end should we dare teeter toward social justice.

P.S. To call someone you do not know, without any knowledge of their personal struggle as being dishonest to themselves is, well, dishonest.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:00 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Oh really? So how have a lot of these liberal open-minded folks been reacting to the city's racial changes lately?

In my opinion, it's really sad what they think constitutes an even remotely significant black population. If Iowa City was in my south suburban area of Chicago, we'd call it a white town.
Way to jump RACIST right out of the cage.

People are upset at attacks, group beatings and a spate of robberies that are new to the area. It just happens to moreso than not be new low income groups from Chicago who are behind quite a bit of it. People really couldn't care less if they were white, green, black or silver. It's a safety and responsibility issue - not simply a "race issue" JUST because many of the offenders happen to be black people.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Way to jump RACIST right out of the cage.

People are upset at attacks, group beatings and a spate of robberies that are new to the area. It just happens to moreso than not be new low income groups from Chicago who are behind quite a bit of it. People really couldn't care less if they were white, green, black or silver. It's a safety and responsibility issue - not simply a "race issue" JUST because many of the offenders happen to be black people.
The black people who live in Iowa City stick out like a sore thumb. They're very small in numbers and if they're responsible for some kind of crime wave, it must be a very small crime wave.

Also, no one seems to lock their doors in Iowa City. They must not be TOO upset.

When I hid my GPS device (my valuable) in the glove box before getting out of the car, I had to explain to my Iowan friend why I was doing this..

Last edited by urza216; 06-15-2010 at 08:54 AM..

Old 06-15-2010, 11:02 AM

66 posts, read 185,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post

It's like a fly in a bowl of milk in iowa city.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:08 PM

Just for the record, AGAIN.. I never flat out called anybody a racist. I just disputed this "one of the most liberal places in the country" nonsense..

Iowa City is liberal and open-minded about gay white people. Whoopty freakin do. Meanwhile, I wouldn't be surprised if Iowa City and Coralville police are profiling its black residents like crazy. And this wouldn't be very liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa