U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2007, 07:49 AM

2 posts, read 9,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubuqueaskme View Post
in Iowa. Iowa is full of beauty; in the people, the town, the landscape, and the whole state. Crime is 0 in most of north and east Iowa. Yeah, sometimes you do have to know people in those "one-horse" towns for people to actually acknowledge you. But, Iowa is a popular spot on the presidential campaign, simply because SO MANY people have family there.

The only "bad" areas I think you will find in Iowa are a few spots in Davenport-Bettendorf, Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, and the Omaha metro. And even in spots mentioned crime statistics arent even that high-- As Iowa ranks #12 in crime-free states. Des Moines, though, will have the most problems. I do find more crime on the DM news than the CR news.

Good areas; Especially good areas; Spencer, Mason City, Fort Dodge, Boone, Pella, Dubuque, Mississippi River towns; excluding Davenport, and many,many more spots. Dubuque is probably has the smallest crime-population ratio for a city of its' size in the Midwest. No murders since 2003 :].

There are many beautiful areas in Iowa; it has SO many different landscapes. From Cliffs and Steep bluffs along the Mississippi to rolling hills from Maquoketa to Cedar Rapids, to flat plains in central Iowa, which are beautifully filled withcorn swaying in the wind, it is "bliss." Peaceful retreats and several "hidden and exposed" jewels are found throughout the state.

Towns to visit: DUBUQUE, Bellevue, Decorah, Guttenburg, Muscatine, Burlington, Sioux City, Cedar Falls-nothing in Waterloo, Dyersville, Swiss Village in CR, Amana colonies, and several other small towns....

Eastern Iowa is becoming increasingly popular for tourists; although I dont know the "exact" statistics, I know that areas like Iowa City, and especially Dubuque, with a 425% increase in tourism since 1990 are quickly becoming hot spots, mainly for Chicagoans, looking for a peaceful retreat, and they are delightfully pleased with what they find.

Eastern Iowa, The DM metro, The CR metro, and the OH metro are growing. With WDM being the fastest growing city in Iowa, and fifteenth fastest in the plains, it went from 32,000 in 1990 to almost 60,000 in 2006.

DUBUQUE- increasing tourism, renovation, publicity, and JOBS (especially) make Dubuque h the place! Dubuque proper only went from 56,5 to 58,5 from 2000-2005, but growth is happening in nearby Asbury, Peosta, Epworth, and Farley, (Cascade), too. Each of these areas has had at least a 15% increase in population since 1990, with Asbury exploding to ALMOST 4000, from a majorly contrasting 1895 in 1990. Western areas of Dubuque have recieved numerous shopping facilities; a Sam's Club, and a huge shopping plaza. Kohls, Old Navy, Strabucks, etc., Schools are also becoming way more numerous with a new 2000 capacity middle school built last year in Asbury, and a new elementary school in the works; open by August :]. Dubuque's ever-expanding school district hasnt lost its luster as the 7th best school district in the US, 3rd in the midwest, and 1st in Iowa, as it is the largest, too.

Dubuque us the place to move in Iowa; Peosta too; several new housing developments with homes with prairie views.... 250K-800K.... all over.

The whole state is great; I live in Dubuque; maybe you can tell; and favor it naturally.

just one question for you--why do you cosider bettendorf a bad city in iowa?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 07:54 AM

2 posts, read 9,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleAZ View Post
You've just summed up AZ as well. Looks like most folks in AZ and CA are actually looking to move out of Mexico and back to the US!

I wonder what they do in Iowa for Cinco de Mayo... ignore it or don't have a clue as to what it is? I think I'd prefer a picnic lunch on the city green to a margarita and a drive by any day!
we arent as ignorant as some people are

Old 07-06-2007, 03:38 PM

195 posts, read 1,014,033 times
I like the post from someone probably earlier in the thread, although I couldn't find it, but the quote the person before the person before me quoted in that post that I thought was very true is:'' There are many beautiful areas in Iowa; it has SO many different landscapes''. Indeed, it does. I think so many people think IA is just a bunch of cornfields, but it isn't, it is very diverse. The town I live in is a bunch of cornfields, but NE Iowa is really the little switzerland of Iowa as I think they call it, and it is beautiful, if you like rural areas.

I live in NE Iowa, and while I hate the people ( and the winters!!!), I like the landscape, and many of the bigger towns although I'm not a one horse town person. That person is also right that you should visit Cedar Falls, Decorah, Guttenberg, Dubuque. I haven't laid eyes on the other ones that are recomomded, but they must be nice too.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:43 PM

32 posts, read 136,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer grace View Post
I like the post from someone probably earlier in the thread, although I couldn't find it, but the quote the person before the person before me quoted in that post that I thought was very true is:'' There are many beautiful areas in Iowa; it has SO many different landscapes''. Indeed, it does. I think so many people think IA is just a bunch of cornfields, but it isn't, it is very diverse. The town I live in is a bunch of cornfields, but NE Iowa is really the little switzerland of Iowa as I think they call it, and it is beautiful, if you like rural areas.

I live in NE Iowa, and while I hate the people ( and the winters!!!), I like the landscape, and many of the bigger towns although I'm not a one horse town person. That person is also right that you should visit Cedar Falls, Decorah, Guttenberg, Dubuque. I haven't laid eyes on the other ones that are recomomded, but they must be nice too.
What is wrong with the people in Iowa? I visited Dubuque and was very pictureque and the river, cable car square was beautiful. It was very hilly and seems that there were many churches there. Fenlon Elevator and the view you get when you take a ride is awesome! Anyway, found the people very nice and helpful. So wondered what area you were at 'cause you mentioned NE Iowa.
Wondered how Iowa City was compared to Dubuque? Seems after reading Iowa posts, it was the most popular/friendly of Iowa Cities?

Old 07-07-2007, 06:06 AM

3 posts, read 20,058 times
Put it this way blakeb i moved out here 5 1/2 years ago from the east coast,the people are very friendly for the most part,but it is extremely boring out here,i would compare it to watching paint dry lol,i live in a very small town and they are very {clicky} in this town,small town politics yano,if you aren't in the loop then you aren't nothing so to speak,anyway good luck with your venture no matter what you decide.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:17 AM

3 posts, read 20,058 times
OMG i responded to a thread that was posted in 2006 WELL DUH anyway,IOWA at least where i live is very quiet took some years to get used to it moving out here from BOSTON,living in this town is liking living in a campground,at night you can almost hear a pin drop lol.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:48 AM

23 posts, read 88,568 times
People go on and on about small towns being unaccepting of "newcomers" in
EVERY state forum on here<iowas is no different.Lets all get realfolks-95+% of all human beings look at others for what they can do for THEM. People in small towns have no need for new friends, their extented family all live in the same town/county ad do all the friends from grade school. Unless you have something they want/need like beauty,sex,money etc. no need to bother with you. The most that most of us can expect is politeness,the Midwest generally has that.
You want new friends move to areas with high transient or growth rates where others are looking for friends or just be quiet.Twin-Cities probaly best example of that in the Midwest.Human nature ain't going to change.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:18 PM

19 posts, read 112,889 times
Where in California do you live? Agree about the way friendly people.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:26 AM

6 posts, read 18,325 times
Default can be positive or bad--it's up to you.

In any state, you can make it a positive or a bad situation. It's what you make of it with your attitude that counts. I have lived in many states in (big cities and small towns) and I have found, as in friendship--that it's up to you to make it work or not work--not a state. There are ignorant people everywhere--not in one state. Iowa has it's good and it's bad--like everywhere else.
Iowa has beautiful Autumns and you can drive along the Mississippi to see this. The farmer markets are fantastic in all different places around Iowa in the summertime. Iowa City has a lot of cultural diversity and events going on. Lots of fun outdoor waterparks. It does have the extreme weather. The winters are cold and the summers are hot. (It's what you're willing to live with

Old 07-14-2007, 10:10 PM

7 posts, read 31,959 times
I lived in Central Iowa for eight years, and I admit that I never celebrated cinco de mayo.... and never knew it was a holiday. But I sure had fun on the Fourth of July! Iowa people are open, friendly and grounded. Educated, well read, and decent. If you find you're having a hard time fitting in as a newcomer, you might consider what you have done for your new home and community. Pick a group and volunteer. Life in the midwest is all about making life better for everyone, and it doesn't come easy... Everyone needs to do something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa