U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2007, 09:15 PM

10 posts, read 33,949 times

Advertisements

Is Osceola a safe little town? Which area is the best? Are there many Hispanics? Or Blacks? Do they have a lot of Catholic churches? Do the people seem freindly?

I want to move back to Iowa.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 09:16 PM

2,073 posts, read 5,098,176 times
lol, ur joking about it being warmer for retirement right? i can't tell you anything about osceola, except it's not that much warmer than marshalltown, the warmest city in the state is keokuk where i used to live. :/

Old 12-10-2007, 04:51 AM

People who cannot think. Are the happiest . No stress.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:54 AM

Im new I dont know yet how to use this post..but I meant to reply to the question of who are the happiest people..not to beemer1010..thank you..Laura

Old 12-10-2007, 04:59 AM

Default I love Mayberry..!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
lol this thread is getting funny. I think RJ has a point about the closed mindedness. I don't think it's to the degree he says it is though. But people in this state can be a little nieve. There are no big cities and life is pretty much like living in Mayberry as far as crime. It's nice but people are sheltered here more than other states. Sheltered people tend to be a little more close minded.
It's my favorite tv show..It's not sheltered its love and concern..I remember
when I lived on a farm...If someone got sick and couldnt work, neighbors
for miles around would come and finish the barn building..and bring a
delicious covered dish for the big dinner after the barn raising..Gawd, how I
miss those people and those days...Shoulda never went to California or
Florida..just made me a mean old lady..lol..!!

Old 12-10-2007, 05:03 AM

I am moving back to Iowa also...What concerns me most is those factory hog lots, I do not want to be within the radious of 100 miles of one...they stink up the air and polute the environment...and should be out lawed..ever see how they operate..Google it..It will make you sick....They are ruining Iowa..!!

Old 12-23-2007, 11:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,638 times
Smile dubuque 1947-1956

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubuqueaskme View Post
in Iowa. Iowa is full of beauty; in the people, the town, the landscape, and the whole state. Crime is 0 in most of north and east Iowa. Yeah, sometimes you do have to know people in those "one-horse" towns for people to actually acknowledge you. But, Iowa is a popular spot on the presidential campaign, simply because SO MANY people have family there.

The only "bad" areas I think you will find in Iowa are a few spots in Davenport-Bettendorf, Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, and the Omaha metro. And even in spots mentioned crime statistics arent even that high-- As Iowa ranks #12 in crime-free states. Des Moines, though, will have the most problems. I do find more crime on the DM news than the CR news.

Good areas; Especially good areas; Spencer, Mason City, Fort Dodge, Boone, Pella, Dubuque, Mississippi River towns; excluding Davenport, and many,many more spots. Dubuque is probably has the smallest crime-population ratio for a city of its' size in the Midwest. No murders since 2003 :].

There are many beautiful areas in Iowa; it has SO many different landscapes. From Cliffs and Steep bluffs along the Mississippi to rolling hills from Maquoketa to Cedar Rapids, to flat plains in central Iowa, which are beautifully filled withcorn swaying in the wind, it is "bliss." Peaceful retreats and several "hidden and exposed" jewels are found throughout the state.

Towns to visit: DUBUQUE, Bellevue, Decorah, Guttenburg, Muscatine, Burlington, Sioux City, Cedar Falls-nothing in Waterloo, Dyersville, Swiss Village in CR, Amana colonies, and several other small towns....

Eastern Iowa is becoming increasingly popular for tourists; although I dont know the "exact" statistics, I know that areas like Iowa City, and especially Dubuque, with a 425% increase in tourism since 1990 are quickly becoming hot spots, mainly for Chicagoans, looking for a peaceful retreat, and they are delightfully pleased with what they find.

Eastern Iowa, The DM metro, The CR metro, and the OH metro are growing. With WDM being the fastest growing city in Iowa, and fifteenth fastest in the plains, it went from 32,000 in 1990 to almost 60,000 in 2006.

DUBUQUE- increasing tourism, renovation, publicity, and JOBS (especially) make Dubuque h the place! Dubuque proper only went from 56,5 to 58,5 from 2000-2005, but growth is happening in nearby Asbury, Peosta, Epworth, and Farley, (Cascade), too. Each of these areas has had at least a 15% increase in population since 1990, with Asbury exploding to ALMOST 4000, from a majorly contrasting 1895 in 1990. Western areas of Dubuque have recieved numerous shopping facilities; a Sam's Club, and a huge shopping plaza. Kohls, Old Navy, Strabucks, etc., Schools are also becoming way more numerous with a new 2000 capacity middle school built last year in Asbury, and a new elementary school in the works; open by August :]. Dubuque's ever-expanding school district hasnt lost its luster as the 7th best school district in the US, 3rd in the midwest, and 1st in Iowa, as it is the largest, too.

Dubuque us the place to move in Iowa; Peosta too; several new housing developments with homes with prairie views.... 250K-800K.... all over.

The whole state is great; I live in Dubuque; maybe you can tell; and favor it naturally.
I lived in Dubuque on Asbury corner of Ambrose across from old Mobil gas station and just down from St Anthony's church. Went to Irving school, old one kindergarten through 5th and 6th grade at new school on Penn--St. and then two years at Washington Jr Hi before moving to San Diego for 9th grade and through college at San Diego State. What has happened to my old neighborhood? Used to attend St John's Epiccopal Church downtown. It is over 70 degrees here in Santa Ana Ca today. Thanks for any news. Steve

Old 12-27-2007, 05:58 PM

12 posts, read 86,975 times
Default don't listen to the lies...

I have lived in iowa for my entire life, and I'm so glad I don't live there any longer. My experiences, as a black male, may be quite different than everyone else here. I was called the N word from the time I entered fifth grade to the time I graduated high school in Clinton High. Only when I went to the University of Iowa that I had more accepting people, still a lot of kids from smaller towns in Iowa were ignorant, dismissal of culture. It's funny when they claim towns like Iowa City and Des Moines have diversity. There is absolutley nothing to do, no pro teams, and the landscape is awful. The summers are too hot, and the winters are too cold. I had to leave, due to the lack of intelligence, and conformity within. The job market is also horrible, and the pay is bad, but real estate is cheap. I don't know how you can live there, landlocked in the middle of nowhere, without seeing the beauty of culture and diversity that exist in this world. You will die missing a lot of what the world has to offer.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:20 AM

1,744 posts, read 6,826,277 times
Hahaha, "There's no pro teams".

Thanks for enlightening us, Mr. Obvious.

Funny you talk about culture and the only thing you mention is a bunch of over-paid knuckledraggers chasing around a ball. I mean, sports are cool and all but is the lack of a professional team really something that would keep someone away? I could see how it would attract, but not repulse.

Anyways, Iowa is what it is. That's it.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:20 PM

639 posts, read 902,043 times
El Rhino,

Yeah, I don't get what is up with all that pro team BS. I've seen a lot of people on here complain about how there's no pro teams but I don't recall any of them explaining why it sucks not to have a pro team. What's wrong with the Hawkeyes and Cyclones?

But I actually find the fact that Iowa having no pro teams a good thing because you can basically root for any team you want. If you were a Bears fan then how would you fit in up in Wisconsin? Not very well I imagine.

Plus you are in close proximity to several major cities that do have pro teams. I wouldn't mind driving a couple hours to see a Chiefs game. But I prefer watching pro games on TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa