U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-12-2008, 04:42 PM
 
Location: In a place with little freedom (aka USA)
712 posts, read 1,286,536 times
Reputation: 260

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosoxfan View Post
i moved to dubuque from nj last year--- the people seem more caring here-- the pace is slower but there are theaters, movies, malls, jobs aren't easy to come by- but i guess thats true anywhere
car insurance is incredibally cheaper and apts. are too
i really like it here much more than nj
if i had unlimited money- i would def. live in new england
Well put, that is an accurate description of Iowa. Dubuque is nice and so is Des Moines in that sense. What is nice about Dubuque is that you are not far from Chicago, should you want to go out and have some big city fun.

As far as the jobs comment, you are right, which is why I would recommend Des Moines. With Des Moines you would be a few hours from Omaha, NE and Kansas City, MO which are nice cities to have fun in as well. Chicago would be about 4.5 hours to get to. But at least you would have security of tons of jobs that you would find in Des Moines - especially in Insurance, Accounting and IT.

I totally agree with the New England comment, nothing beats the New England foliage in the Fall and the tons of Italian & Irish places to eat - like in Boston.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-12-2008, 08:57 PM
 
Location: Des Moines, IA
1,744 posts, read 6,827,259 times
Reputation: 1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
As far as the jobs comment, you are right, which is why I would recommend Des Moines. With Des Moines you would be a few hours from Omaha, NE and Kansas City, MO which are nice cities to have fun in as well. Chicago would be about 4.5 hours to get to. But at least you would have security of tons of jobs that you would find in Des Moines - especially in Insurance, Accounting and IT.

.


Chicago is more like 6, 5 at best. Minneapolis/St. Paul is about 3 1/2 - 4 hours though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2008, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Southeast Iowa
154 posts, read 861,645 times
Reputation: 145
The people in Iowa do not easily accept outsiders, especially from California! My husband is from Iowa and knows everyone in his home town and that still didn't help. Iowa City was no different. But that's probably because all his friends and family are native Iowans. I'm sure there are college students there who are "outsiders" that would have been much nicer to me. I felt like I was bending over backwards to start conversations or to be included. The other girls pretty much huddled together and ignored me. And I'm not talking about one occasion, I'm talking about for a whole year while living there. And it's not me either, I have plenty of friends in other states and in my home town in California. Everyone seems to like me except for my husbands family and friends in Iowa! What's the deal? I'm a good person, and fun, but no one there ever wanted to get to know me. I guess they would rather stare at me from across the room and whisper to their friends instead. And I'm talking about people in their 30's! Not teenagers! It's ridiculous. And we go back to visit every year, and it's always the same. Why do they make me feel like such a black sheep? I now think back on the first time I met all of them years ago...I should have lied and told them I was from Northern Iowa. It would have made my married life a hell of a lot easier. I'll tell you that much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2008, 08:10 AM
Rez
 
5 posts, read 23,966 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy77 View Post
The people in Iowa do not easily accept outsiders, especially from California! My husband is from Iowa and knows everyone in his home town and that still didn't help. Iowa City was no different. But that's probably because all his friends and family are native Iowans. I'm sure there are college students there who are "outsiders" that would have been much nicer to me. I felt like I was bending over backwards to start conversations or to be included. The other girls pretty much huddled together and ignored me. And I'm not talking about one occasion, I'm talking about for a whole year while living there. And it's not me either, I have plenty of friends in other states and in my home town in California. Everyone seems to like me except for my husbands family and friends in Iowa! What's the deal? I'm a good person, and fun, but no one there ever wanted to get to know me. I guess they would rather stare at me from across the room and whisper to their friends instead. And I'm talking about people in their 30's! Not teenagers! It's ridiculous. And we go back to visit every year, and it's always the same. Why do they make me feel like such a black sheep? I now think back on the first time I met all of them years ago...I should have lied and told them I was from Northern Iowa. It would have made my married life a hell of a lot easier. I'll tell you that much!
You poor thing. As a native Californian who moved here, it does take a lot of effort to get to know people in Iowa. I don't know what it is. I think because communities are smallish, the rumor mill tends to run wild at times. Some people never learned how to deal with strangers, either. Some people are cliquish, just like anywhere else. I met some people by going to school and joining the YWCA and finding a community group, which I'd recommend to anyone moving to a new area.

My sister decided to do just what you said, and never told anybody where she was from except that she lived in Waterloo. She now happily lives and works in South Carolina, lucky girl.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2008, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Southeast Iowa
154 posts, read 861,645 times
Reputation: 145
Yeah, my sister lives in the South now too, and she LOVES it there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2008, 10:35 PM
 
21 posts, read 64,626 times
Reputation: 15
I agree with Cactus Sam and REZ. Stay out of here if you can. The only people who seem to like Iowa are those who have never been anywhere else and don't have a clear picture of what life is like in the real world. I'm sure there are some wonderful towns in Iowa, but it's not worth taking a chance on hitting the wrong one. Seek out Indiana or Tennessee. Much brighter - happier people.

Last edited by katychicago; 01-23-2008 at 10:35 PM.. Reason: add a name
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2008, 07:30 AM
 
518 posts, read 2,372,017 times
Reputation: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by katychicago View Post
I agree with Cactus Sam and REZ. Stay out of here if you can. The only people who seem to like Iowa are those who have never been anywhere else and don't have a clear picture of what life is like in the real world. I'm sure there are some wonderful towns in Iowa, but it's not worth taking a chance on hitting the wrong one. Seek out Indiana or Tennessee. Much brighter - happier people.
i'm actually thinking about moving to iowa, so could you tell me which towns to avoid?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2008, 07:41 AM
 
Location: in the general vicinity of Cedar Rapids, Iowa
296 posts, read 1,201,601 times
Reputation: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetar10 View Post
i'm actually thinking about moving to iowa, so could you tell me which towns to avoid?

I'd find out where this katychicago chick lives and stay away from there -- she sounds really toxic!

Otherwise, I don't think there's anyplace to stay away from. I'd vote more for finding places to concentrate on based on the size of population you find desirable, your hobbies, and, of course, where you think there'll be the best chance of finding work. Have you ever been to Iowa? Where do you live now? What do you do for a living? What do you like to do in your free time?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2008, 07:45 AM
 
Location: Des Moines, IA
1,744 posts, read 6,827,259 times
Reputation: 1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by katychicago View Post
The only people who seem to like Iowa are those who have never been anywhere else and don't have a clear picture of what life is like in the real world. .






Katychicago, this is just a suggestion, but do you think the reason why you don't get along with the people in Iowa might be because there's something wrong with you? Comments/attitudes like that do not go over well with anyone, no matter where you're at.

Also, unless you've lived in some place crazy like Antarctica or Timbuktu, very few people are going to be impressed with the fact you've lived somewhere other than Iowa. Believe it or not, that does not reserve you the sort of jaw-dropping awe and respect that one would give a Martian or whatever.

Have you tried "living in the real world" and actually tried to get to know your neighbors and the local culture yet?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2008, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Southeast Iowa
154 posts, read 861,645 times
Reputation: 145
To Katychicago, I know everyone is bashing you here, saying you're negative and know nothing about Iowa, bla bla bla. But it actually sounds like DO know a little something about Iowa. And isn't it typical of all the locals to get overly offended and start bashing you for having an opinion? I don't "hate" Iowa at all. But I'm tired of people saying to me, "Well, obviously there's something wrong with YOU if people weren't friendly to you in Iowa." That's always their comeback. Yeah, I guess there WAS something wrong with me when I lived there, I wasn't FROM Iowa. LOL. The minute people heard I was born and raised in another state, they started treating me differently. But I'm sure it must have been all in my imagination. The only places in Iowa that might accept new people are the college towns. Only because at least you have other "outsiders" there that might want to be your friend. Stay away from the smaller towns unless you were born and raised there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:13 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top