U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2008, 07:15 PM

7,065 posts, read 2,901,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katychicago View Post
this is in response to a personal message sent by Metro - who asked me to stop posting about the negative aspects of Iowa - I can't do that. Despite the fact most Iowans do NOT believe in free speech, I'm printing what is true. Hopefully City-Data is democratic enough to allow my comments to post just as they do those who rally this placePlease READ ON past this banner.

7 posts, read 503 times

sorry if i upset you, but everything i said is true.
Hi - Metro I've lived here since 9-9-2001 in rural Iowa. I relocated here for a job at the Ottumwa Courier as a reporter and I have a daughter who married a fellow here. I'd always heard good things about the state so was anxious to move here to retire.

Unfortunately this state is the worst of all I've lived in; Indiana, Chicago, Tucson, Nashville,
Winchester Tn., Los Angeles, Sacramento, Chico, Oroville and Sequoia National Park in California, Urbana Illinois, Feather Falls, California, and a few others. My moves were because of job opportunities presented to me because of my journalism experience and background. Iowa is full of crooked cops, politicians and money hungry slaughter houses. The people are rude, paranoid, prejudice, ignorant and will stab you in the back every chance they get. Most people over 65 are jammed into a nursing home and their kids take their possessions and auction them off before they've had their first "insitutional," meal. It's a pathetic situation that breaks my heart. In the places I've lived - you take care of your parents, just as they took care of you when you were a babe.

I've never lived in a place where news stories were "Killed" because the local newspaper didn't want to upset the cops, city council or local philanthropists who keep the county coffers filled. Failing the local rags, even the Register is unwilling to print stories that might reflect poorly unless it's a "sensational" story that might reap a journalism award. I know this because I've been witness to at least three people who have been "raped" by the system, unable to have their story told locally and have gone to the DMR - they've been turned down.

These were legitimate stories - I know, I'm an award winning journalist myself - I know what is newsworthy and what is not.

I'm not even going to talk about the prejudice and the KKK activities that go on here - it's too much and most people wouldn't believe it, but being white myself I'm privy to comments people make about Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, etc. It is pathetic and ignorant.

Metor, perhaps, you've just never been anywhere else to know what real, honest to goodness people are like. Maybe you need to get out of town once in while and see how caring people live.

Believe me, I am leaving as soon as school gets out this summer - I can't agree to not tell the truth on this site because I wouldn't want anyone to move here. It's a horrible place.
sorry, katychicago
Everything you mentioned though, Katy, goes on in every city on this planet. There are crooked politicians in every city in this country, there are crooked cops in every city in this country, there are people who don't take care of their elderly parents in every city in this country, there are news stories that are killed because of upsetting the cops, city council, and the wealthier citizens in every city of this country. There are racist people living in every city in this country. It is very unfortunate but it is the reality that we live in. Hopefully someday, Katy, you will finally find a city that you will enjoy living your life.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 07:31 PM

2,073 posts, read 5,099,017 times
lol katy I love how you make it look like I told you not to voice your opinion. hmm just got your dm, and if you want to discuss things further the forum isn't the place to do it.. thats what dms are for crazy huh?

Old 02-07-2008, 08:28 PM

681 posts, read 2,852,614 times
Ok...I have no idea what's been going on between you two, but I will say this.

While I disagree with a lot of the things katychicago says, I don't think anyone should try to get her to stop posting here. Opposing points of view are healthy and good--and if we've got ten people praising Iowa and one saying that it's its own circle of Hell, fine by me.

I would hate for us to fall into this sort of fortress mentality like I think absoluteDSM has an unfortunate tendency to. Everyone should have a place here--otherwise we're just reinforcing people's negative stereotypes of us.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:00 PM

639 posts, read 902,130 times
katychicago, I don't think the problem is that you have a negative opinion on Iowa. I think it has more to do with you acting like your opinion is superior to everyone else's, that your experiences living in Iowa are universal, etc.

I'm sorry you've had such negative experiences living here but those can happen ANYWHERE. I think a lot of it has to do with your preferred lifestyle. And I'm sure there are people who have lived in California and had just as many (if not more) negative experiences living there as you have had living here in Iowa.

Please try and understand that no place is perfect and that everyone has a place they prefer living in. If all of Iowa is really as bad as you say it is then why have I read so many positive comments about Iowa from people who aren't "from" here? Once again, everyone has their place and hopefully you will find your place someday.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:27 PM

2,073 posts, read 5,099,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpHawkeye View Post
Ok...I have no idea what's been going on between you two, but I will say this.

While I disagree with a lot of the things katychicago says, I don't think anyone should try to get her to stop posting here. Opposing points of view are healthy and good--and if we've got ten people praising Iowa and one saying that it's its own circle of Hell, fine by me.

I would hate for us to fall into this sort of fortress mentality like I think absoluteDSM has an unfortunate tendency to. Everyone should have a place here--otherwise we're just reinforcing people's negative stereotypes of us.
What? Before you say I asked her to stop posting here, go read what she wrote, and I'm not the only one who responded like this.

Her opposing point of vews haven't been healthy and good, they were rude and obnoxious... no state/forum puts up with that crap, why would you think only Iowa has that rep?

Old 02-08-2008, 07:39 AM

1,744 posts, read 6,827,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katychicago View Post
These were legitimate stories - I know, I'm an award winning journalist myself - I know what is newsworthy and what is not.

Prove it. Let's hear about your award winning journalism, Miss Pulitizer.

I could care less what you think about Iowa, but you would think that someone out winning awards with their journalism would be a little bit better of a writer than the drivel we're getting out of you.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:43 AM

534 posts, read 1,487,200 times
How much do I like living in Iowa?

Our house is for sale after 4 very long years in Cedar Rapids and we are headed back HOME to Wisconsin.

What's worse here then there?

Can deposit-Stupid and with the Gov wanting 10cents and 8cents back..no way.

Litter-This city is anything but clean. When we go walking I can't even believe how dirty this city is. Are people that lazy that they can't throw anything out? Walking through residental areas and seeing McDonald bags and such on people's lawn. Disgusting. We were just in the town we will be moving too and to not see that was so nice.

Respect for Homes-There is very little here. We live in a decent neighborhood and yet so few people take care of their homes. This just isn't in our neighborhood. Again, when we walk we are amazed at people's homes, lawns, sidewalks and such. The city doesn't care much about keeping grass cut either. Walking down E ave and when they cut the city's grass they don't even clean it up off the sidewalks. Our neighbors must think we are nuts, but we come from where people take care of their belongings.

Friendliness-Or I should say lack of friendliness. Not one neighbor came and welcomed us to the neighborhood. We had more welcomes living in apartments in Wisconsin. It's true when people say, if you aren't part of a group, you won't be welcomed.

Closings-We don't even have kids, but the fact this city shuts it's schools for 3 inches of snow or because it's cold is ridiculous. I wouldn't be thrilled as a parent for sure. We are born much tougher in Wisconsin. Schools don't close much there. They were re-opened yesterday after getting 20 inches of snow. Why? because they know how to plow. I can barely get down my street 2 days later and we live on a high traffic street.

I won't go into details on how this city is broke, Westdale Mall, horrilble roads, city council, plowing and numerous other issues that will more then likely implode this city in about 10 years.

I've been to other cities in the state and found nothing appealing. Coralville, Iowa City, nothing to write home about. No interest in Des Moines either.

If you have lived here your whole life and don't know much else, then it probably is the perfect city. But coming from a city with about the same population as here, and knowing what they have compared to here. It makes it a no brainer to move back.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:47 AM

1,744 posts, read 6,827,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UW Badgers View Post
. We are born much tougher in Wisconsin. .

I'll fight any of you cheeseheads.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:31 AM

38 posts, read 100,066 times
I will be moving to Iowa soon, good thing I'm not a journalist...sounds like a tough gig in that neck of the woods.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:43 AM

884 posts, read 842,797 times
KatyChicago,
I wrote you a nice little post but then remembered that I'm more of a picture guy.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa