U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2009, 03:59 PM

4,359 posts, read 5,283,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by decomama View Post
It sounds nice where you are Kenneth. But I am in Northeast Iowa and it is VERY corrupt. We even had 2 women from the Iowa Main St assessment program come here. We told them what they do to outsiders. Higher property taxes, not stating the right condition of the house. getting fined by the city (Don't fine the locals) voting everything down that would benefit the city (keeps people out) corrupt real estate agents, ect. AND YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAID? "Oh we hear that alot" SO THE STATE KNOWS ABOUT THIS AND DOES NOTHING! Not only do they not want us, when we decide to put our property up for sale, ours is always worth what it is assessed at while the locals is listed for $100,000 more than the assessed value. They want our property for nothing. So it's, hey, you'll never be accepted here (and who the hell would want to be accepted by these discriminatory people) and by the way when you leave, your not going to get what your property is worth. I am just collecting all the real estate info I can and it looks very bad for the agents who participate in this behavior here. HEAR THAT STATE OF IOWA!
The State of Iowa doesn't read these threads...go back to making a tin foil hat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 10:53 AM

3 posts, read 7,836 times
thank you everyone,this has really helped make my decision easier, see you on the streets
of davenport I still dont understand the quad cities thing. and where are the anglican churches. Should I buy a house or rent an apt.?

thanks in advance. teletub in michigan suburbs

Old 08-05-2009, 05:16 PM

411 posts, read 1,450,777 times
Christ Church in Moline looks to be affiliated with the Anglican Church, and there are probably others.

If you plan on staying here a while I'd buy, as the housing prices are great.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:03 PM

13 posts, read 32,140 times
Wink Small town politics yano? And you think different from the east coast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzman424 View Post
Put it this way blakeb i moved out here 5 1/2 years ago from the east coast,the people are very friendly for the most part,but it is extremely boring out here,i would compare it to watching paint dry lol,i live in a very small town and they are very {clicky} in this town,small town politics yano,if you aren't in the loop then you aren't nothing so to speak,anyway good luck with your venture no matter what you decide.
I live in Queens, NYC and have also lived in Baltimore, Boston, Charlestown, Ma, NH, DC, Augusta, Ga, Arlington, Va, Philly, Montclair, NJ. If you ever want cliquey in politics, check there. If you are not a big D Democrat, you might just as well hang it up. There is no alternative. You don't count at all in their opinion.

I grew up in the Midwest and I can truthfully say that it is a lot more accepting than the East is. My little home town has a Seventh Day Adventist school and Nazarene university and yet the biggest restaurant is owned by a couple of gay guys who have been voted onto the city council. That is better than they do in the East Coast.

I would hazard a guess that you have done most of the taking yourself out of the loop on your own through general cussedness and telling people they are dumb because they don't do things the way the East Coast people do. Really your should be happy they don't. The East Coast people are a whole lot more narrow minded than the small town people are from my experience.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:08 PM

13 posts, read 32,140 times
Trade you in a heartbeat - and I live in Queens, NYC.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:23 PM

3 posts, read 7,836 times
thanks Quad cities, i will check out the church in moline, but i still dont get the quad cities thing,
do you interact with each other, is one side better than the other? i have found a house though,
it will just be a bunch of us from the chiro and the massage school. go quadies! see you on the streets of brady. ( thats the only street i know) thanks for your help!

teletub from michigan suburbs

Old 09-15-2009, 06:10 PM

4,359 posts, read 5,283,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teletub1 View Post
but i still dont get the quad cities thing,
do you interact with each other, is one side better than the other?
The Quad Cities can almost be looked at as one big city. It's faster for me to get to Southpark Mall in Moline,IL. than it is to go to Northpark mall in Davenport and I live on the Dav./Bettendorf border. In Davenport we have the Levee which has lots of festivals and in Rock Island they have the District which has lots of festivals. Jumping across the river for whatever reason is no big deal.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:04 PM

5 posts, read 11,055 times
Default I couldn't agree more!

This has been my experience entirely!!!!!! I am living in Davenport but have a few more years left since I am attending University of Iowa in the fall. I hope to take refuge in the academic community but when I finish grad work will leave the state.

Thank you thank thank you for validating my experience here!!!!01

Old 10-15-2009, 12:11 PM

3 posts, read 5,798 times
Default life in DM

is there anyone that may have moved to the DM area from NYC or LI ? No need to describe the weather.....the data is self explanatory. Input on the human side of things would be greatly helpful. Thanks.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:25 PM

114 posts, read 416,715 times
I love it. friendly people, good air, low crime and raked #1 in the Nation for education. It's great, outsiders always feel that we are not friendly, but we are. I mean really how friendly do you want us to be, knowing you whole life story, or being courteous?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa