U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-31-2010, 04:55 PM

176 posts, read 142,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrogers1122 View Post
The weather is brutally cold (I call it Iowa level cold) in the winter and brutally hot in the summer (its not the temp, its the heat index and humidity).
Iowa winters are cold, but there are much, much colder places. I think the cold factor in Iowa in exaggerated by people who haven't spent time in the Twin Cities, Duluth, or Michigan's upper peninsula - to name a few places. Compared to them Iowa is a tropical paradise.

The humidity is there but again it's not as bad as being on the east coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 07:25 PM

19 posts, read 27,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Sam View Post
We moved to Iowa in the late 1990's, after carefully researching as much as we could. (Much like you are doing right now.)

At first we liked the quaintness. It was like going back in time at least 40 years. But, after awhile we grew to despise the place.

Our family's experience with Iowa (along with several other people we met from out of state that moved there and left, also) is:

It is backwards, dirty, moldy and decrepit. The people HATE outsiders and if you do not have any "ties" with relatives in the state, or if you were not born in Iowa - you will never be accepted. Never.

Don't worry about the mosquitos - worry about the stink of hog lots and ethanol plants, the lack of laws, the ignorance and inbreeding of the people.
The rudeness, the moldy restaurants, the dirty stores. Oh, and did I say ignorance? Oh, and how about the run down houses in the dead and dying small towns? Oh, and the meth labs everywhere....everywhere...

We have NOTHING good to say about Iowa except that we sold our house - at a loss, of course. And got the heck out of there. We would have walked away if it hadn't sold, but fortunately it did.

We moved to the desert in California, and are dumbfounded at the nice, friendly people. We hadn't been around friendly people in years. Iowans are not nice people at all. No, not at all - not to outsiders.

I hope my post helps you because I wish people had told us when we were researching Iowa about how backwards it is there. They kept talking about the weather. The weather is nothing. It's being around the people there that is so horrific.

We wasted several years in Iowa. I wouldn't wish that place on my worst enemy. Go West - you will never regret it.

Remember, the people are a big part of where you move - and Iowa is most definitely not a friendly state. It was a nightmare that is over!!

Think about California, Arizona, etc. People are nice there.

Oh - LOL - just watch the "non-judgemental Christian" Iowans rally up and attack this post! You will laugh. They cannot take any criticism, because they know it is true.

Adios, Iowa - we couldn't move far enough away from you.

We now live in a house in an area with nice people, our house is increasing in value daily, there are many things to do, and the people are NICE again.
WOW!!....I dont know what part of Iowa you were in but it sure wasnt the same part I was in. I was so impressed with how friendly and courteous people were when I was there, I cant wait to go back and am planning to relocate there next year. As far as California goes, YOU CAN HAVE IT!!...I have wasted almost 30 years in CA and the state is a dung pile. People are either rude or looking for a hand out. Its nothing but a welfare state. They have the highest number of people on welfare in the whole country, they have more people in prison in the state of california than all the other states combined ( and yes that is true ). The schools are bad, the gangs are like cancerous growths that are infecting every school and neighborhood. Meth labs and pot gardens a plenty. No thanks, I have had enough, I have had enough paying taxes through the roof and watching it all go to lazy unappreciative people sucking up the resources of the state on welfare, disability and illegal immigrants that clog up the emergency rooms like walk in clinics. Im tired of schools are horrible and rank almost last in the nation because the spend more money on english second language programs than on tutoring, math, science or aides in the classrooms for the students that are the children of the people that actually pay their taxes. If you found some bastion of normalcy in the middle of the desert then more power to you. Personally I cant wait to get out of here

Old 09-12-2010, 09:12 AM

15 posts, read 28,702 times
Quote:
We moved to Iowa in the late 1990's, after carefully researching as much as we could. (Much like you are doing right now.)

At first we liked the quaintness. It was like going back in time at least 40 years. But, after awhile we grew to despise the place.

Our family's experience with Iowa (along with several other people we met from out of state that moved there and left, also) is:

It is backwards, dirty, moldy and decrepit. The people HATE outsiders and if you do not have any "ties" with relatives in the state, or if you were not born in Iowa - you will never be accepted. Never.

Don't worry about the mosquitos - worry about the stink of hog lots and ethanol plants, the lack of laws, the ignorance and inbreeding of the people.
The rudeness, the moldy restaurants, the dirty stores. Oh, and did I say ignorance? Oh, and how about the run down houses in the dead and dying small towns? Oh, and the meth labs everywhere....everywhere...

We have NOTHING good to say about Iowa except that we sold our house - at a loss, of course. And got the heck out of there. We would have walked away if it hadn't sold, but fortunately it did.

We moved to the desert in California, and are dumbfounded at the nice, friendly people. We hadn't been around friendly people in years. Iowans are not nice people at all. No, not at all - not to outsiders.

I hope my post helps you because I wish people had told us when we were researching Iowa about how backwards it is there. They kept talking about the weather. The weather is nothing. It's being around the people there that is so horrific.

We wasted several years in Iowa. I wouldn't wish that place on my worst enemy. Go West - you will never regret it.

Remember, the people are a big part of where you move - and Iowa is most definitely not a friendly state. It was a nightmare that is over!!

Oh - LOL - just watch the "non-judgemental Christian" Iowans rally up and attack this post! You will laugh. They cannot take any criticism, because they know it is true.

We now live in a house in an area with nice people, our house is increasing in value daily, there are many things to do, and the people are NICE again.

I am so sorry that you had a bad experiance when in Iowa. Please be assured that not every town in Iowa is as you described. The town I live in is always welcome to others who come here...so is Iowa City, Cedar Rapids...and countless others.

As far as Iowa goes....yes...there are a lot of hog lots. That is to be expected in a state where agriculture is their number one industry (if you researched as much as you said you did you would have already known this). There is an ethanol plant in my town and I have yet to smell it. I'm not sure what odor you are talking about. Washington County (where I live) did have quite a meth problem. Thankfully, we formed a drug task force and the meth labs seem to be under control. You will have drug issues no matter where you live.

Please don't judge the entire state by your experiance in one town or area. We are not all that way.

I have lived in Iowa my entire life in several differant towns. The town I graduated from was much like you described....not nice to outsideres....rude...etc.....so guess what....i graduated and moved to another town and don't go back. ever.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:04 AM

135 posts, read 225,054 times
Quote:

Looks like our riff raff repellent is still operating correctly.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,466 times
Default Great Place to Live

I've lived in Des Moines (Urbandale, Johnston & Windsor Heights) my whole life. There is nothing bad to say about this city. There's plenty to do for activities no matter the age. My husband loves to watch different bands that come through town and I like all of the festivals that go on year round. We have all the major festivals and activities that would go on in any major city. We have a great diversity of people, restaurants and activities; though larger cities may have more options. If you like organic foods, we do have Trader Joes, Whole Foods (coming soon), and other local shops that carry what you will need. We have a city farmers market open on Saturday morning's and Wednesday's downtown and smaller farmers markets located in the suburbs on different days of the week. My husband has lived in many different parts of the state of Iowa and Des Moines is his favorite by far. The season's are beautiful and the people genuinly embrace newcomers.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:37 PM

99 posts, read 121,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercruiserdr View Post
Looks like our riff raff repellent is still operating correctly.
Priceless

Old 10-21-2011, 09:33 AM

3 posts, read 3,201 times
nothing

Old 10-21-2011, 11:34 AM

9,170 posts, read 13,662,902 times
^ awwww.....

Old 10-22-2011, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 1,808 times
Frankly, Iowa is a mixed bag, but so is the West Coast, East Coast, South... and I'm sorry... Rudeness? Cronyism? Xenophobia? Try the East Coast for these. If you're new there, it's as bad as being a Dublin-er in Belfast. You won't find friends in NY unless you're 20, rich, and attractive, and if you are, please move there as soon as possible!

Old 10-22-2011, 01:49 PM

933 posts, read 997,202 times
I live in Omaha, which part of the metro is in southwest Iowa. By my travels to Iowa communities, Des Moines in particular, that the state is on the verge of some nice growth spurts and I'll explain why..

1. Corporate tax incentives.. Despite the constant national hype, people move where the opportunities are and weather is practially a non-factor, historically and currently. Iowa has been working hard at lesgistlating incentives to lure corporations into their state. While they haven't reached quite the level of breaks that Nebraska has they certainly have reached a convincing level where they beat Nebraska head-to-head for a Google Datacenter (in the Omaha suburb of Council Bluffs Ia versus the Omaha suburb of La Vista). Des Moines landed a Microsoft Datacenter etc..

2. Des Moines is already growing at twice the national average and rural Iowa will lose its impact of lowering the overall state growth, as the city continues to get bigger.

3. Another factor of Des Moines is its appeal for size. Like Omaha and Oklahoma City, De Moines will start to lure more and more urban amendities and become more attractive to individuals when the metro nears/exceeds a million people. Des Moines people, this will happen faster than you imagine. Omaha had 630,000 people in the metro in 1990, but its influence grows outward as the city grows outward. It is now sitting at 865,000 for 2010 but is expected to add another county or two which will force the 2010 population to over 900,000. This means that Omaha MSA population influence has grown from 630,000 to over 1,000,000 by 2020. This too will happen to Des Moines at this rate and maybe faster if it works out right.

4. There are some other up and coming cities in Iowa that will help Des Moines in offsetting the rural decline. Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, Ames (soon to be consolidated with DM), hopefully the Quad Cities and my own Omaha metro community of Council Bluffs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa