Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 08:33 AM

5 posts, read 19,763 times

Advertisements

We have the opportunity to move to Minnesota or Iowa and after doing some research online I really would prefer Minnesota. Our 2 children are 4 and 5. There seems to be more to do with children in MN than in Iowa. Also, we would like to live outside the city in a small home town. A good place to raise a family. We love the water, snow, biking, hiking, parks, etc. My husband is leaning towards Ames, Iowa and I am trying to convince him that moving to Minneapolis, MN would be a better all around experience, good schools, quaint towns, houses to choose from, Lakes, Parks, etc. Any advice or opinions on our two choices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 09:11 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
My (our) 3 grown kids live in Minneapolis. We drive through Ames on the way.

The two cities are entirely different. Ames is a small town with a major university. It is in the middle of farm country. Minneapolis is a major metro area that just happens to - among many other things - have a major university. It is in the middle of lakes & recreation areas.

Obviously, there are a hundredfold more things to do in Minneapolis. But you'll pay the price. Real estate is much higher than in Ames. You'll drive much farther. You'll also have a hard time finding that right "small town outside the city", because thousands of families in & around Minneapolis want the exact same thing.

You might also want to consider the fact that Ames is only 3 hours away from Minneapolis. You could live more cheaply in Ames and drive to Minnesota for longer weekends. South East Minnesota is beautiful.

Good luck!

Old 03-30-2010, 09:17 AM

267 posts, read 1,231,473 times
Well, Ames and Minneapolis are completely different. Minneapolis is a huge urban area of over 3 million people, and Ames is a small city of 50000. It's kind of an apples-to-oranges comparison.

In Ames, you'll definitely have a shorter and easier commute, and perhaps easier access to nature. There are definitely parks around here, opportunities for hiking (Ledges State Park is nice), and a lake at Saylorville about 45 minutes away. Ames schools are very good, probably one of the best districts in the state. There are small towns outside of Ames, but Ames itself might even be small enough for you. Des Moines is only 30 minutes south, and it offers some amenities (like better shopping, a zoo, the Science Center, etc.).

But Minneapolis will definitely have more in terms of activities, shopping, and events, given that it is about 70 times bigger.

It really comes down to small city vs. metropolitan area. You'll just have to decide which of those fits your lifestyle better.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:36 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
May I assume the fact that Iowa State beat Minnesota in some utterly meaningless bowl game this year has no bearing on the decision?

Old 03-30-2010, 10:00 AM

5 posts, read 19,763 times
I have read that Eagan, Woodbury, Rochester, Eden Prarie, Plymouth, Apple Valley, etc all have small home town feels and the commute to the city is not bad. I am just affraid if we have to live in Ames that I won't be happy. I want there to be more than just farmland and a University. I like a simple life but I don't want to be bored or not have an all around living experience for my children.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:37 PM

459 posts, read 2,227,418 times
If you have a job lined up in either place, and you want that small home town feel - I would choose Ames 100 times over. Ames is a fantastic city for Children with it's outstanding school district. And with a major State Univerrsity within the same city, there are numerous cultrual offerings.

I suspect Ames is not as secluded as you are thinking it is. It is no multi-million person metropolis, but there is quite a bit to do in Central Iowa.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:50 PM

267 posts, read 1,231,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartmanfamily4 View Post
I have read that Eagan, Woodbury, Rochester, Eden Prarie, Plymouth, Apple Valley, etc all have small home town feels and the commute to the city is not bad. I am just affraid if we have to live in Ames that I won't be happy. I want there to be more than just farmland and a University. I like a simple life but I don't want to be bored or not have an all around living experience for my children.
I really don't think you'll find the same sort of small-town feel in any of those places. I have been to a couple of those and they are still very suburban. If you're looking for a true small-town lifestyle, you're probably going to want to pick Ames.

That said, if you want more entertainment options, I would pick Minneapolis. Ames does have some cultural offerings sometimes, but if that's a big deal for you, you probably won't be as happy here. The Twin Cities do have a lot more amenities.

It's going to be hard to have both. You can have a real, small-town feel in Iowa, or you can have all the entertainment options of Minneapolis and live in a more suburban area (or drive farther to a smaller town).

Old 03-30-2010, 08:26 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,219 times
As mentioned, this is apples-to-oranges comparison. I've lived in both, and would pick the Twin Cities hands down, but only because I like a more urban setting. If I was looking for "simple life" or living in a small town, I'd definately pick Ames. Easy choice there. As for being bored, unless you are boring people, any city greater than 30K or so should provide plenty of family friendly activities. In addition, you are only 30 - 40 minutes away from Des Moines, which offers additional opportunities (and depending on where you settle in the Twin Cities, you'd have the same drive time to some events....especially if you're wanting to live in a small town).

Old 03-30-2010, 10:16 PM

65 posts, read 120,327 times
I replied to your post in the Minnesota forum saying I'd choose Minneapolis, but rethinking it, I think if I were in your position I would choose Ames. For families, Central Iowa definitely has enough to do and living in such a great and safe community like Ames is really priceless for children growing up. The schools are fantastic, lots of opportunities for kids to grow, and it really has a sense of a small town community without feeling like you are unbearably bored.

It's up to you, but unless living in a metropolitan area is very important to you, I really would consider Ames.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:44 AM

459 posts, read 2,227,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartmanfamily4 View Post
If those are the MN cities you are contemplating VS. Ames and you are really wanting a well rounded experience for your kids - Ames is the obvious choice. The MN cities you selected (and I've lived in one of them) are very suburban, and generally very white-middle class communities. Ames is a small city with a great deal more diversity. Ames Public Schools are outstanding. And Ames has that strong sense of community you say is important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa