Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 11:03 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
The speed camaras on I-235 don't ticket you unless you're 10 miles an hour over the speed limit. Is that beyond anyone's self-control? If you can't handle that, we'd just a soon you don't drive through.
A major flaw in the camera system is getting a ticket when you aren't speeding. For instance, if you are doing the speed limit but someone zooms past you at 20 mph over as you are both passing the camera, the camera will snap a pic of both of you, and you both get a ticket.

The red light cams in Clive and the mobile speed units (that is a unmanned car that is parked on streets to catch speeders) and now spped limit cams. It is getting to feel like we are being watched.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 12:22 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,150,676 times
One thing I never got used to about Iowa when I lived there was the Big Brother mentality of the various layers of government there. You'd think a highly rural/suburban area with a long agricultural tradition and low population density would have a limited government/pro-freedom mentality. Yet goverments there seemed to be highly regulation-oriented (and I don't mean just business regulations).

What gives?

So, for me, it was the worst of both worlds: lack of urban amenities (good restaurants, museums, etc.) plus Big Brother/big city-type regulatory environment (gun control, restrictions on home schooling, high taxes, etc.).

Old 11-10-2011, 03:50 PM

116 posts, read 384,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
One thing I never got used to about Iowa when I lived there was the Big Brother mentality of the various layers of government there. You'd think a highly rural/suburban area with a long agricultural tradition and low population density would have a limited government/pro-freedom mentality. Yet goverments there seemed to be highly regulation-oriented (and I don't mean just business regulations).

What gives?

So, for me, it was the worst of both worlds: lack of urban amenities (good restaurants, museums, etc.) plus Big Brother/big city-type regulatory environment (gun control, restrictions on home schooling, high taxes, etc.).
That's true of Dubuque. I am right now stuck in there and can't wait when i get out from there. The city got new employer - IBM employing in downtown. Yet there are no any national chain there. There are some independent restaurants and sandwich shops but most of them are uncompetitive and worthless and would it be nice to see them compete with national chains or get out of business. All because the city put red tape and decided who is allowed to do business there.

Its annoying getting to work at 7:00 and getting out at 5:00 when you have an annoying bank tower playing old lady cimbalom trying to pretend to be a tourist town in 19th century.

There are everywhere posters protesting planned parenthood, LGBT activities for employees are silenced, and my white friend co-worker who dates black girl gets eyeballed everywhere he goes to. Terrible town!

The landlords lend here crappy apartments with broken old kitchen stoves and refrigerators like they thought they still lived in Medival Times and those were luxuries rather than necessities. Yet they go very firm about rules what can you cannot do and what they can do (like satellite installation), they show occupied units to new renters and often enter apartments without properly obtaining your consent first or issuing announcement in advance to let you be aware.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:02 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,150,676 times
I don't think we are talking about the same things.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:04 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,120 times
Close down all of the factory farms. Iowa = vegetables, grains.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:14 PM

116 posts, read 384,311 times
Quote:
I don't think we are talking about the same things.
Close but not the same. Urban development spurs liberal values while low dense farm communities conservative social values. Dubuque is financially democratic but socially conservative. Thats ugly combination to me. And I expect many towns in Iowa to be like maybe with exception of DM, IC.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:27 PM

459 posts, read 2,228,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
A major flaw in the camera system is getting a ticket when you aren't speeding. For instance, if you are doing the speed limit but someone zooms past you at 20 mph over as you are both passing the camera, the camera will snap a pic of both of you, and you both get a ticket.
This 'flaw' you describe is a total urban legend. The speed cameras take a minimum of 2 photos when any instance of a speeding violation is detected. Markings are also placed on the pavement where speed cameras are in use. By using these pavement markings, the offending vehicle is discernable by noting which vehicle has transversed the greater distance between photographs.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:44 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,754,759 times
Quote:

What gives?

Totally agreed, even the general population feels like Big Brother. Neighbors can seem extra vigilant if you don't have ties to the state originally, it's like you've entered foreign territory. The biggest holiday is the Iowa-Iowa State game, usually best to at least feign some interest.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:42 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,445,334 times
Install some industrial sized air fresheners next to the factories in Cedar Rapids.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:51 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe1 View Post
This 'flaw' you describe is a total urban legend. The speed cameras take a minimum of 2 photos when any instance of a speeding violation is detected. Markings are also placed on the pavement where speed cameras are in use. By using these pavement markings, the offending vehicle is discernable by noting which vehicle has transversed the greater distance between photographs.
Interesting, as the first I heard of this "urban legend" was on a local TV news broadcast in a report about the pros and cons of the cameras.

We also have the pleasure of a mobile speed unit, an unmanned car, parked at various places around the metro to catch speeders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa