Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2010, 08:05 AM

13 posts, read 50,091 times

Advertisements

My family is considering a move to Cedar Rapids, IA & have concerns about "fitting in". Although my husband and I were raised as church goers (Baptist/Catholic) and until 2 years ago raised our children as church goers, we no longer attend. Are there folks in Cedar Rapids who are somewhat liberal minded?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 09:10 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,260,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSLBOUND2010 View Post
. Are there folks in Cedar Rapids who are somewhat liberal minded?

Yes.

Honestly, I don't think that would be an issue at all.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:10 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Iowa is much more liberal minded than I think people would sterotypically think. Especially more in Eastern Iowa, and especially more in the larger cities.

I grew up down in Iowa City, and no one in my family or any of my family's friends ever really went to church, and I actually grew up thinking that was how it was for all families. I don't remember our neighbors or anyone else ever going or talking about it.

The Cedar Rapids urban area has 200,000 people. No one is going to know if you go or not, it's not like some small town where they're going to see you walking into church. Not sure where you're from either, but Iowa tends to be a lot more "live and let live" if you're not in some terribly small farming community. It's a tolerant place, and people aren't going to go out of their way to delve into your personal choice about religion.

I noticed this a lot when Iowa legalized gay marriage. People seemed pretty shocked, but as much as I looked for it, I couldn't find that widespread anger/outward reaction like you see in other places. An interview I saw on the news summed it up best. They asked an elderly woman who lives in a more rural area what she thought, and she said. "Well I certainly don't agree with it one bit - but who on earth am I to be telling anyone else how to live their life???"

Just the fact you're not a churchgoing family is going to be a non-issue in Cedar Rapids. There's no rational reason for anyone to care.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:10 PM

2,168 posts, read 3,386,523 times
I live in Cedar Rapids, was raised Catholic, and don't go to church except for holidays. Neither does half my office. You'll be perfectly fine.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:14 AM

Thank you so much for your responses. The reason for my concern is that my family made a move to PA two years ago due to layoffs at my husbands previous company. This move has turned out to be a terrible mistake. We are looking to make another move but, since our children will be going into middle school and high school we want to make the right one this time. We would like to be somewhere where we can stay put.
If I could dig a little deeper here. What is the general feeling in Cedar Rapids in terms of bigotry? I ask because I am Italian and have faced some bigotry here in PA due to my dark hair and dark eyes (most of the population in this area are German). My concern is for one of my sons who shares my darker Italian coloring. I can handle ignorant comments from people who are uncomfortable with anyone who is different than they are and are too limited to know that we Italians are caucasion also but, don't want my child hurt.
Before moving to PA we lived in a town of approx. 250,000 and although there was a predominantly white population, we had friends of all colors and religions. We are looking for a similarly open minded area without having to resort to big city living.
Is Cedar Rapids that place?

Old 05-04-2010, 05:05 PM

85 posts, read 317,174 times
Iowa is not really what people think. Your lack of church habits won't really be a problem for anyone. People may invite you to church, to be friendly- but they aren't going to shun you if you politely decline. I don't really think your childrens' Italian heritage will be a problem either. Cedar Rapids has alot of Czechs and Germans, yes- but also lots of African Americans, Arabs, Asians, etc. and they seem to blend in fine. You should have no problem fitting in too.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:10 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
^ I was really shocked when I visited Arkansas after growing up in Iowa. Everyone happened to ask within MINUTES what church we go to. Not even if we went to church, just which one was it. When I said I'm not religious I kept getting these quasi horrified looks, like I was going to start eating their children. I wasn't amused.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:56 AM

23 posts, read 84,041 times
My family moved here to CR from Sioux City in July '09. We haven't been to church since we've been here and no one has asked us about it, unlike what we found in Sioux City when a new person would move into the neighborhood. A previous poster stated that bigotry isn't a problem and I believe that he is right. We live in a 16-unit condo building and probably half of the units are occupied by middle easterners who work at Rockwell which is only a few blocks away. My kids probably have an equal number of black / white friends and they play with the middle eastern kids across the street. My point is that from my perspective, people aren't concerned with race, etc in the area of town that we live in and church probably won't be the first subject of a conversation.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:05 AM

Default Thanks

Your input is much appreciated. I think the best way to get a feel for an area is from the people who live there.

Thank you

Old 05-25-2010, 07:34 PM

28 posts, read 121,087 times
I've lived in Cedar Rapids, Coralville, and Bettendorf and have never been asked about church attendance in any of the cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa