U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 09:52 PM

30,883 posts, read 31,776,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrill View Post
you guys are really dumb if you believe this guy. if he said that in islam men beat thier women behind closed doors youd believe him too... give me a break, this just goes to show how society follows the media. islam is a religion of peace. just because he says its not doesnt mean its not. you guys will believe anything the media spits at you...
How you can know so little about the religion you have adopted is beyond me...Wife beating is accepted and even encouraged in Islam, and not always behind closed doors.

YouTube - Wife Beating in Islam - The Rules

YouTube - How to beat your wife

If these two don't convince you there are many more.

YouTube - how to beat your wife in islam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 09:55 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,976,124 times
I've taken several courses on Islamic history and have a collection of hadiths. I'm not simply going by "the media."

My view of Islam is more positive than many here. I think Islam did a good deal to encourage hygiene, charity, education, allowed women more inheritance rights than they'd had before, and united diverse ethnic groups. It brought literacy to much of West Africa. The great African civilizations of Mali and Songhai owe some to Islam. They were critically important to the advancement of geometry and astronomy. I think there's also a diversity of views among Muslims with regard to gender and violence. To put up Saudi Arabia or the Taliban as "typical" of the Islamic world, or representative of "true Islam", is very wrong IMO.

All that said the traditional understanding of "jihad" and "sharia" in Islam seem pretty clear on certain points. When possible Non-Muslims are not to rule Muslims. Indeed it generally seems agreed that when/if a Muslim state "makes the summons" a non-Muslim state is supposed to agree to submit. Once we do so we might be well protected and tolerated, some argue the jizya is supposed to be a mild payment in lieu of contributing troops to the state, but we are still to be subordinate. If the Muslim regime is tolerant and pleasant, as many in history are, it's good but it's still in some sense a state of servitude that places the non-Muslims fortunes in the hands of others. Members of polytheistic religions are traditionally not given tolerance in Islamic norms. Muhammad did lead an army and made it clear war is, at least sometimes, necessary. Although much Islamic tradition opposes killing women, children, the disabled, monks, and clergy of "book" religions. Islamic terrorists intentionally defy this and that, plus their desire to be on camera, I'd agree means they do not represent "true Islam."

On gender Muslim men can be polygamous, but Muslim women can not. Muslim women have rights, but their testimony is to count for half of that of a man. For a Muslim woman to divorce her husband is much harder than it is for a Muslim man to divorce his wife. I did not get these ideas from "the media" I got them from reading Averroes, collections of the hadith meant for non-Muslims, etc. In other words not from Islamist sources. Averroes was a brilliant and rationalistic Muslim.

Although you may not have meant me as my view of Islam is more mixed than wholly negative.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:31 PM

397 posts, read 534,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
How you can know so little about the religion you have adopted is beyond me...Wife beating is accepted and even encouraged in Islam, and not always behind closed doors.

YouTube - Wife Beating in Islam - The Rules

YouTube - How to beat your wife

If these two don't convince you there are many more.

YouTube - how to beat your wife in islam
you basically just proved what i was saying... haha good job

Old 06-27-2010, 10:48 PM

30,883 posts, read 31,776,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrill View Post
you basically just proved what i was saying... haha good job
Oh, and how is that?...Sounds more like there are some things about Islam you just don't want to know...(LALALALA...I can't near you)

Old 06-28-2010, 04:44 PM

397 posts, read 534,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Oh, and how is that?...Sounds more like there are some things about Islam you just don't want to know...(LALALALA...I can't near you)
because i said youd believe so and so if they said this and that... a few moments later TAH DAH!! a video of someone saying this and that is part of islam if you truly knew islam youd know that these muslims dont know what theyre talking about.

the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) used to discourage his followers from beating their wives. He never hit any female, and he used to say that the best of men are those who do not hit their wives. In one Hadith he expressed his extreme repulsion from this behavior and said, "How does anyone of you beat his wife as he beats the stallion camel and then embrace (sleep with) her?” (Al-Bukhari, English Translation, vol. 8, Hadith 68, pp. 42-43)

i can find many hadiths and even places in the quran where it backs me up on how your not allowed to beat your wife. i actually have islam to back me up. youve got some people on some youtube videos that look like muslims, say theyre muslims and say that beating thier wives is okay... get educated in islam before you go bashing the religion with some youtube videos, you only prove my point each time you respond...

Old 06-28-2010, 05:20 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,187,270 times
Regardless of YOUR interpretation, domestic violence does occur in the Muslim world. And many followers do indeed hold up the Quran as justification.

Domestic violence in Islam : The Quran on wife-beating

Domestic Violence - An Islamic Perspective

For Some Muslim Wives, Abuse Knows No Borders - washingtonpost.com

Abuse of U.S. Muslim Women Is Greater Than Reported, Advocacy Groups Say - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,327187,00.html - broken link)

IF the Quran doesn't literally command husbands to beat their wives, then apparently the passages are too ambiguous for the average Muslim to 'properly' interpret....because there seems to be quite a lot of 'misinterpretation' happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or