Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 05:47 AM

282 posts, read 296,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
So my question is: Can a Muslim return the sentiment? Can they see me as a different but equal human being or am I always a infidel and/or barbarian because I don't believe as they do?
Yes, a well known rule of ethics in Muslim creed says " a man is either a brother in religion or an equivalent in humanity."

the more a person asks the much he/she learns !

Last edited by resigned; 01-23-2012 at 06:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 11:41 AM

281 posts, read 255,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resigned View Post
Yes, a well known rule of ethics in Muslim creed says " a man is either a brother in religion or an equivalent in humanity."

the more a person asks the much he/she learns !
Yes, a rule that is ignored wholesale.

No, block, neighborhood, town, city, state, country, continent or planet has ever benefited from the inclusion of Islam. On the contrary, it is death, it is depravity, it is degredation, it is despicable.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:08 PM

30,698 posts, read 21,847,151 times
Quote:
I'm happy with being an almost-atheist agnostic. I was back then too.
I'm with you brotha

Individually there are some many fantastic Muslims out there, actually the majority, but as the Middle East and Africa have shown once the population takes it takes on a dyanamic that is not only unhealthy for non-Muslims but Muslims as well.
They came blame it on others but the common denominator is the religion.

The question should be "can we accept the growth of Islam in the West knowing that it could turn us into another Iraq, Iran or Saudi Arabia.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:12 PM

16,433 posts, read 22,148,318 times
Quote:
So my question is: Can a Muslim return the sentiment?
Regretably no. To Islam you are an infidel, an unbeliever, and little better than a souless dog. You will find individual Moslems that do not embrace that philosophy, but fundamentalist Moslems regard them as weak Moslems.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Regretably no. To Islam you are an infidel, an unbeliever, and little better than a souless dog. You will find individual Moslems that do not embrace that philosophy, but fundamentalist Moslems regard them as weak Moslems.
There are so many different kinds of Muslims and many different Sub groups like Christianity and Judism has. Some don't even consider the other sub groups Muslim. From my understanding the only thing you have to do to be Muslim is to adhere to the 5 pillars. Unfortunately many mainstream Muslims still include the Violent Fundamentalist type as fellow Muslims and therefore their sympathy and support is biased to those groups and not to the non Muslim population of the world. The party line is to try to justify their "Brothers" violent actions by saying general statements that the west is responsible for "Everything" that has gone wrong with the Muslim world: It's one excuse after the next, rather than look at the base reason why Radical Islam is Violent. Then theres the huge percentage that I partied with in College that still consider thierselves Muslims even without practicing the 5 pillars, go figure

Old 01-23-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Angel View Post
Yes, a rule that is ignored wholesale.

No, block, neighborhood, town, city, state, country, continent or planet has ever benefited from the inclusion of Islam. On the contrary, it is death, it is depravity, it is degredation, it is despicable.
is it very painful to cry like this flamy ,,If you need statistics about destruction your values of freedom caused in Iraq for instance...stop belching plzz

Old 01-23-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
fundamentally , Christians and Jews are not infidels

we believe that you're a people of scripture if course we consider you as unbeliever according to our classification of believer ,but as to what I mentioned above we consider you as believer ...I know this sounds odd to you yet it's the truth.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
There are so many different kinds of Muslims and many different Sub groups like Christianity and Judism has. Some don't even consider the other sub groups Muslim. From my understanding the only thing you have to do to be Muslim is to adhere to the 5 pillars. Unfortunately many mainstream Muslims still include the Violent Fundamentalist type as fellow Muslims and therefore their sympathy and support is biased to those groups and not to the non Muslim population of the world. The party line is to try to justify their "Brothers" violent actions by saying general statements that the west is responsible for "Everything" that has gone wrong with the Muslim world: It's one excuse after the next, rather than look at the base reason why Radical Islam is Violent. Then theres the huge percentage that I partied with in College that still consider thierselves Muslims even without practicing the 5 pillars, go figure
I agree with you partially,

but do you think that western countries are just victims ? the radical Islam has smth similar to the Holy war in your bible ,hasn't it ?

simply, we need time to get our cuts healed in Iraq but you keep attract us ,you're insisting to find rival .

You should help spreading general understanding each other however , it seems a dream ?

Old 01-23-2012, 03:00 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,897,296 times
I live in West Philly, the home of many Muslim people amongst large communities of other religions including Christians, Jews, Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists, and others. We all seem to get along and the many Muslims I have met - they are often immigrants from other countries - are friendly, respectful, and law-abiding (which is important to me because we have a lot of crime here in Philly and the criminals are nearly always native-born Philly "jabronis' and come from so-called Christian families).

As a Buddhist I do not, however, think Muslims will ever regard me as an equal. Muslims do seem to have a grudging respect for Jews and Christians - because they are considered people "of The Book" but we Buddhists and others who are not of the Abrahamic faiths are definitely outsiders: pagans, idolators, whatever to them. Having said that, I must confess that I do not seek to be considered their "equal." As an American citizen I expect to enjoy all of the rights and liberties afforded to me as an American, including protection under the law. How another community of religionists regards me does not concern me. If my civil rights are in danger I will fight for them.

The late Jerry Falwell once said "If you are NOT a born-again Christian, you are a failed human being." So, you see, as a Buddhist, I was not an "equal" in his eyes are in the eyes of many Christians either. Fine by me.

There are crazy, hateful, extremist morons out there from every religion ... including Buddhism. Anyone can quote one of the bigots or post something from YouTube; it does not mean everyone from that group agrees with that tirade. Yes, there is harassment and persecution of religious minorities in many Muslim-dominated countries and I am not trying to dismiss this problem; I am mindful of the destruction of our glorious Buddhist monuments in Bamiyan in Afghanistan by the Islamic Taliban - a real crime and outrage against the worldwide Buddhist community ... but am I suppose to hate the Moroccan kabob stand owner in my neighborhood because of that?

Old 01-23-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resigned View Post
I agree with you partially,

but do you think that western countries are just victims ? the radical Islam has smth similar to the Holy war in your bible ,hasn't it ?

simply, we need time to get our cuts healed in Iraq but you keep attract us ,you're insisting to find rival .

You should help spreading general understanding each other however , it seems a dream ?
"the Holy war in your bible ,hasn't it ?" Well, I'm Agnostic and don't have a Holy book. I do agree the books are similar and many of the stories are versions in the religous books that predated them, and believe that the intrepretation of the "Good" books are the underlying source of the violence. Considering that fundamentalist of the past and present pull quotes from their books to rationalize their hatred I would like to see an end to all violent religous hatred period. Unfortunately all religous groups tout their religion as the one and only true religion and can't help but to stigmatize the others that don't agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam